PDA

View Full Version : Comparison of Thru-hikers Companion vs. The A.T. Guide

CarlZ993
12-24-2014, 17:40
In my 2013 thru-hike, I used Awol's A.T. Guide. I saw only a few hikers that used the Thru-hikers Companion published by the ATC.

I recently ordered & received the 2015 Thru-hikers Companion for the purpose of comparing the two guides (albeit vs the 2013 version of the A.T. Guide).

A.T. Guide (2013):

Weight = 8.6 oz
Size = 8" (W) X 5 1/4" (H)
Orientation = vertical; when opened, size ~ 5 1/4" (W) X 16" (H)
Data points = more data points listed per known distance vs Companion; elevation shown for each data point; page indicated on data point where additional info can be found
Vertical profile = water-marked over data points
Shelters = capacity noted; symbols to indicate privy's & water sources; mileage noted to the next three shelters to the north & south; water location noted on most shelters
Town maps = Useful info listed on maps; scales shown on each map
Town Services Page = each location has its name in bold print with symbols to indicate what is offered; hours of operation, phone numbers, & addresses included where appropriate
Other pertinent info listed = getting to & from the southern & northern terminus of the AT; Gear websites & phone numbers; etc.

Thru-hikers Companion (2015):

Weight = 11.1 oz
Size = 6" (W) X 9" (H)
Orientation = horizontal; when opened, size ~ 12" (W) X 9" (H)
Data points = fewer per known distance vs A.T. Guide; additional info when bold text is used (on separate page)
Vertical profile = separate profile map from data points pages
Shelters = mileage noted for one shelter north & south; water symbols noted on data points page; more precise info noted on separate page
Town maps = Useful info listed in maps; no scale shown
Town services page = categories listed in bold print while individual businesses are in normal print; services offered, hours of operations, addresses, phone #s, etc. are also listed
Other pertinent info listed: Gear manufacturers ph# & websites; directions to & from A.T Termini noted

Comparison of data between two shelters in VA (Pine Swamp Branch & Laurel Creek Shelters):

Data points: A.T. Guide = 25 data points (not counting PS but counting LC shelter); Companion = 13 data points
Water sources: A.T. Guide = 10 sources of water listed; Companion = 9 sources of water listed
Camps/shelters listed: A.T. Guide = 6 sites (3 campsites & 3 shelters, including ending shelter); Companion = 4 sites (1 campsite & 3 shelters)

Comparison of town maps (ex. Pearisburg VA)

Size: A.T. Guide = 7 1/4" (W) X 2 15/16" (H); Companion = 4 7/8" (W) X 3 5/16" (H)
Access points into town as shown on map: A.T. Guide = 3 shown (Cross Ave, Lane Rd., & Narrows Rd); Companion = 0 shown
Services listed on map: A.T. Guide = numerous listed; Companion = numerous listed

Discrepancies/differences noted:

Elevation of data points between the two guides don't match; ex. Pine Swamp Branch Shelter is listed as 2549' in the A.T. Guide; 2530' in the Companion
GPS coordinates for trailheads & towns are listed in the A.T. Guide but not the Companion
Companion shows appropriate ATC maps for that section; the A.T. Guide does not
The A.T. Guide can be purchased in bound or loose-leaf format; the Companion can only be purchased in a bound format.

Final thoughts & conclusions:

Noted bias: I used the A.T. Guide to plan for & hike the A.T in 2013. I'm familiar and comfortable with the format.

I'm sure I'll learn more differences between the two guides as I peruse the Companion in more detail. With the 2015 Companion now available and the 2015 A.T. Guide available next month, I felt that I should publish this info now. Any errors that I published would be corrected by fellow white-blazers' postings.

If you purchase the Companion, you are supporting the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. This is a worthy organization. If you purchase the A.T. Guide, you are supporting an entrepreneurial individual, David "Awol" Miller.

If you build a better mousetrap (or internet search engine or whatever), people will gravitate to that product. I feel that The A.T. Guide is a better product vs. the Thru-hikers Companion. More data points, better town maps, easier format for find town services, and lighter weight. As a result, I saw many more people using the A.T. Guide in 2013 than the Companion.

Sly
12-25-2014, 00:35
CarlZ, good comparison. A couple notes on data points.

The Companion added 200 plus this year over last, and may add more next year.

The distance in your example between Pine Swamp Branch Shelter and Laurel Creek Shelter is 18.5 miles. That section also has Bailey Gap Shelter at 3.9 mi from Pine Swamp Branch and War Spur Shelter 8.8 miles further. All the shelters have water. Of course data points are important, that's why they're there to begin with, but how many are actually needed or important? Between the first two shelters it's only 3.9 miles. I suppose it's possible to stop once, maybe twice, in this distance to check your whereabouts, but it's not likely you'll really need the points. The following distances between the next shelters are similar in nature. If a hiker whipped out their guide every time there was a data point they wouldn't get very far.

There are a few other features in the 2015 Companion the AT Guide doesn't have, I'll let you discover them.

Also, I suppose hikers are using GPS more often on the AT but for all practical purposes they're not needed, nor are the waypoints. If you're section hiking, and want or need directions or waypoints to trailhead parking, hostels, towns and outfitters, I created a Online Content page with all that info which is listed in the Companion.

Check it out. (http://www.aldha.org/companion/online/)

CarlZ993
12-25-2014, 13:56
CarlZ, good comparison. A couple notes on data points.

The Companion added 200 plus this year over last, and may add more next year.

The distance in your example between Pine Swamp Branch Shelter and Laurel Creek Shelter is 18.5 miles. That section also has Bailey Gap Shelter at 3.9 mi from Pine Swamp Branch and War Spur Shelter 8.8 miles further. All the shelters have water. Of course data points are important, that's why they're there to begin with, but how many are actually needed or important? Between the first two shelters it's only 3.9 miles. I suppose it's possible to stop once, maybe twice, in this distance to check your whereabouts, but it's not likely you'll really need the points. The following distances between the next shelters are similar in nature. If a hiker whipped out their guide every time there was a data point they wouldn't get very far.

There are a few other features in the 2015 Companion the AT Guide doesn't have, I'll let you discover them.

Also, I suppose hikers are using GPS more often on the AT but for all practical purposes they're not needed, nor are the waypoints. If you're section hiking, and want or need directions or waypoints to trailhead parking, hostels, towns and outfitters, I created a Online Content page with all that info which is listed in the Companion.

Check it out. (http://www.aldha.org/companion/online/)
Sly - Thanks for the link. Lots of additional info.

I'm still perusing the Companion. I really wish they had a page reference on the data sheet page so you wouldn't have to search for the additional info.

I sometimes believe that the A.T. Guide goes overboard with the number of data points.

Either guide will suffice for a thru-hike. Neither guide will flatten out the hills & make the hike easier. :)

Deacon
12-25-2014, 14:56
Sly - Thanks for the link. Lots of additional info.

I'm still perusing the Companion. I really wish they had a page reference on the data sheet page so you wouldn't have to search for the additional info.

I sometimes believe that the A.T. Guide goes overboard with the number of data points.

Either guide will suffice for a thru-hike. Neither guide will flatten out the hills & make the hike easier. :)

Well personally, I like all the extra data points in the AT Guide. Not because I need them, but it's just interesting and fun to walk from one to the next and note each point as I arrive.

Old Hiker
12-25-2014, 22:50
I'll stick with AWOL's guide - I like it better. I'll cut a check to the ATC to support them or just buy merch off the Ultimate Trail Store.

Sarcasm the elf
12-25-2014, 23:21
I have my ATC Companion and my AWOL Guide each sliced into 5 or 6 sections and only carry the section for where I'm hiking so the weight isn't a big factor.

For section hiking, I found that I liked the format of the ATC Companion better, it seemed (to me) to more clearly identify and provide more info about road crossings and towns and I like the data sheet pages in the ATC book more as I find them easier use to plan out sections in advance.

AWOL's guide seemed to me to be more of stripped down guide meant specifically for use on the go as you hiked. I am able to understand why thru hikers might have a slight preference to it. My only minor complaint about the AWOL guide is the paper size. I seem to always crush the pages when I stow it in my pack since the binding is on the short edge of the paper and the pages flop around a lot more as a result.

Coffee
12-26-2014, 09:19
Competition is a good thing. I used AWOL's guide for a section hike this year and it was very accurate. I haven't looked at the ATC book. Competition has probably resulted in the AT books being cheaper than what I've had to purchase for the Colorado Trail and PCT. So competition is a good thing overall.

takethisbread
12-30-2014, 15:45
i think 90% of thru hikers use the AT Guide. I'm an Aldha member and i try to support the Companion. It has improved over the past few years tremendously, thanks to sly and a host of others for that. Its a volunteer project, i think, and very commendable one. AWOL guide is an example of capitalism working. he makes a great product, he makes improved profit. i like the platform of the companion.