PDA

View Full Version : Tent Mass

Wolve
12-25-2014, 01:57
Hey everyone! I have a tent that I use for backpacking that I want to bring on my 2015 hike. It is the REI Passage 2 and is about 5 pounds. Is this way too heavy? I really don't want to shell out for a new tent or hammock system, but I want to know if carrying this tent is unrealistic. Suggestions?

HighLiner
12-25-2014, 02:05
Yeah, by about 2-1/2 pounds. Plenty of choices are out there. Merry Christmas!

HooKooDooKu
12-25-2014, 02:25
I like big-free-standing tents and even carry the weight of a ground sheet to protect them. But even I've got to admit that a 5lb tent is HEAVY for just one person.

There's options out there that are lighter that won't break the bank. Just one example I can quickly find is the BA Jackrabbit SL1 (http://www.rei.com/product/885498/big-agnes-jack-rabbit-sl1-tent-2013-closeout#tab-specs) for a little more than $200. With a packaged weight of 3lbs 6oz, I could likely get something like that trail ready at about 3lbs to 3lbs 2oz.

Also, keep an eye out from now thru the start of the year on other tents that might be getting clearanced.

MuddyWaters
12-25-2014, 02:31
No right or wrong answers, or tent weight.
It really depends on you, and how much weight you want to carry, and how much your other gear weighs.

Most would opt for a lighter tent. If not at the start, at Neel Gap or Hot Springs.

Some could carry that 5 lb tent and still have a baseweight less than some with a 2 lb tent. So it really depends on you.

fastfoxengineering
12-25-2014, 02:50
It's not ridiculous but you'll always wish you went lighter.

Maybe sell it and then put that money towards a new lighter tent. A tarp tent contrail only runs about $200 shipped right now.

Either way, it'll be cheaper to get a lighter tent now than on the trail.

Ercoupe
12-25-2014, 07:41
Using fly and footprint alone would save you 1.5 lbs..

bigcranky
12-25-2014, 09:56
The standard tent used to be about 8 pounds, and a light solo tent was 4 or 5. Plenty of people thru-hiked with tents in that weight range. So of course it can be done. You're young and the extra weight won't kill you.

That said, there are plenty of good 2 - 2.5 pound tents out there for not a huge amount of money. That gives you 2 additional pounds of snicker bars in your pack, which are far more useful :)

Tipi Walter
12-25-2014, 10:12
All of my ancient AT backpacking was with a 7 lb tent (1980s typical tent weights as Bigcranky says), and recently my 3 major AT hikes (60 days on the trail) have been with a tunnel tent at 8 lbs 10 ozs. Doesn't bother me in the least. Love my green home in the woods. Carry it everywhere. It's saved my butt on a thousand nights and in a hundred storms.

A 5 lb tent is nothing unless you're on a forced march like the Bataan death march and mileage is the top priority. Are you being prodded along with bayonets? Carry a bigger beefier tent and cut your mileage down to 8 to 10 miles a day and do as much of the trail as you can until you run out of time. Come back next year or whenever and do the rest of it.

Shelter weight is the least important aspect within reason (don't wanna carry a 70 lb wall tent), more important is livability and staying dry and enduring tough storms with some amount of security. And having enough square footage (like 32-36 sq ft) to avoid touching any part of the walls and big enough to spend a couple zero days w/o going stir crazy.

bobp
12-25-2014, 10:23
Using fly and footprint alone would save you 1.5 lbs..

Leaving one carrying 3.5 lbs of shelter that offers no bug protection? That is probably a poor trade-off from mid-to-late Spring through the first frost.

Connie
12-25-2014, 10:41
I managed quite well, for years, with tent fly and footprint. I used a bug headnet. I wore gloves and stretch gaiters to protect my ankles, if the black flys were bad. I still use a bug headnet. I found out stretch gaiters are good for keeping out ticks. It is reasonable to use this outfit, rather than replace a tent.

I found out I like a tarp and a bivy.

I never thought I would like a tarp and bivy.

I like BugBaffler bug head net, because it has elastic straps that go under the arms. http://bugbaffler.com/products/headnet?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=628441201&gclid=CLi1iOrM1sICFcZbfgod2BsAKg

I like Simblissity stretch gaiters. They also keep dirt off socks and ankles. This also helps prevent blisters.

However, there are many reasonable options tent, or, tarp and bivy, you will find out as you will want more lightweight equipment.

The website link at my signature has examples at 10 essentials: shelter and Products: gear the links found under the photo at the top of the page. I do not sell. I accept no ads. It is all strictly FYI.

Slo-go'en
12-25-2014, 10:54
Besides the weight, how much space does it take up in the pack? If it's on the bulky side, you either have to cut back on other stuff you carry which could offset the weight of the tent, or get a bigger pack which makes the load even heavier.

Another thing to consider is if the tent weighs 5 pounds dry, how much is it going to weigh when wet? You might not want to buy a new tent, but in the long run you'd be glad you did.

linus72
12-26-2014, 12:37
For the money the Passage 2 is a fantastic tent, and the one we use on our backpacking trips. However, as there's two of us we split the weight so its more like a solo tent weight for each of us, and I have an under-3lb solo tent for my solo trips cause yeah, 5+ lbs is a bit heavy. At least for me - not the strongest back so weight is more a factor for me personally. But even at 5+ lbs, you do get a lot of tent for the buck. It is great in rain, wind... easy to setup and break down. Spent all summer in it - no complaints at all! If you keep using it, get some MSR titanium groundhog stakes as they are lighter and way stronger than the ones that came with the tent. The Passage 1 is I think 3.5 lbs and I saw that one out on the trail and looks just as good. Personally I have my eye on the quarter dome because it came in even lighter and smaller than my Easton Sports Rimrock. I love the Rimrock, I just had slight buyers regret when i picked up the quarter dome at the store!

ht61
12-30-2014, 01:01
When considering equipment weight you have to take your needs into consideration. For example tall hikers might need a bigger tent and therefore increase the weight of the tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trebor66
12-30-2014, 01:41
Sierra Mountain Design has their Lunar Duo on sale right now (while supplies last) for a measly 60 bucks.

takethisbread
12-30-2014, 03:42
I'm a big believer in a good shelter for The AT. Tarps are great and I'm def a tarp user, but on a thruhike of the AT I would prefer as tent with optimum rain protection particularly from the ground up.

My observation of thruhike, was tarp owners tended to stay in the shelters more often than not, and folks with great tents tended to stay in them every night.

I believe strongly in a great shelter on the AT bc of the high amount of rainfall and constant wet grounds to set up in.

There are plenty of great options out there for lower weight, great space, and superior rain protection. 5 lbs seems a bit much for a tent IMO . I would not use that but you can compromise and get a 2-3lb tent from a good company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quasarr
12-30-2014, 17:55
You're a young guy so you can either carry the thing OR.....

since you you aren't set in your ways like these old timers, ;) why not try tarping? If you're into DIY you can make a Ray Way kit which costs about $75. Doesn't cost much and saves you about 4 lbs of weight!!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/60517-Ray-Way-Tarp-kits-who-s-made-them