PDA

View Full Version : self serve siliconize

squeezebox
12-25-2014, 07:42
I read an article a while back on how to siliconize your own stuff. Mix silicone with mineral spirits, spread with a paint roller, let dry, repeat as needed.
I plan on using Tyvek as a ground sheet. So what about the repeat as needed part? How many coats should I do?

Wise Old Owl
12-25-2014, 08:54
Tyvek doesn't need to have silicone

kayak karl
12-25-2014, 09:46
Tyvek doesn't need to have silicone yep, that process works on nylon to create silnylon. i doubt it would even still to tyvek. just wash the tyvek in washing machine with clothes about 5 times to soften it. it will shrink 5% so best to cut to size after this.

Tipi Walter
12-25-2014, 10:18
The only thing I can think of using this technique on would be with my Hilleberg tent (or any silnylon tent or tent floor), but usually by the time the silnylon is worn off and leaking the zippers are shot and there are a dozen fly holes and the floor is worn and the thing has UV damage. Instead of buying some silicone I'd just replace the tent and start again.

daddytwosticks
12-25-2014, 10:54
I read an article a while back on how to siliconize your own stuff. Mix silicone with mineral spirits, spread with a paint roller, let dry, repeat as needed.
I plan on using Tyvek as a ground sheet. So what about the repeat as needed part? How many coats should I do?
I've used this process to tuffen up my SMD Meteor bivy floor, only I used a disposable foam brush and did a very light coat. The best benefit? Reduces the slipperiness and keeps my pad "glued" to the bivy floor. The bad point? Attracts lots of durt and debris. It's sometimes too sticky. :)

gpburdelljr
12-25-2014, 11:55

What kind of silicon?

Another Kevin
12-25-2014, 12:06
What kind of silicon?

I've done it only for seam sealing. For that, I use clear GE bathtub caulk. Dilute it with mineral spirits to about the consistency of olive oil. Apply with a sponge brush, working well into the seams.

kayak karl
12-25-2014, 22:30
this (http://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/windshield-repair/permatex-tube-flowable-silicone-windshield-and-glass-sealer/552992_0_0/) works too for seal sealer.
to make your own 100% silicone caulk is needed

Ken.davidson
12-26-2014, 00:55

Wash Tyvek with a couple of tennis balls to take the crackle noise out of the Tyvek. No soap required.