PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah Mileage question, near Elkwallow Wayside

Pringles
12-25-2014, 10:53
I recently moved, and haven't found my AT guides. While I have AWOL's Guide, I'm looking for one little bit of mileage in Shenandoah National Park that isn't listed. I'm thinking the Databook might have it. Between the Neighbor Mountain Trail/Byrd's Nest #4 trail and the Jeremy's Run Trail (near Elkwallow Wayside), there is another trail, possibly the Thornton River Trail, which heads to the east. Can someone tell me the mileage from some known point--the Elkwallow Wayside or the Jeremy's Run trail or Beahms Gap Overlook or the Neighbor Mountain Trail-- to that trail (Thornton River Trail?)? I'm thinking it's a couple of miles, but would like to know for sure. Thanks.

Pringles

johnnybgood
12-25-2014, 12:20
You are correct. Mileage from Thornton River Trail to Jeremy's Run Trail is 2 miles . Beahms Gap Overlook is south of Thornton River Trail nearly the same distance.

map man
12-25-2014, 12:21
Most of these points are not in my 2012 copy of the Companion, but all the points you mention are on the elevation profile in the map I have for the northern district of SNP. Here are the distance points as marked on that profile:

19.2 Elkwallow Trail
19.7 Jeremys Run Trail
21.8 Thornton River Trail
23.0 Spur Trail to Neighbor Mtn. Parking
23.3 Neighbor Mtn. Trail and Byrds Nest 4 Trail
24.1 Byrds Nest 4 Access Road

Looks like Neighbor Mtn. Trail to Thornton River Trail is about 1.5 miles. Hope this helps.

Pringles
12-25-2014, 13:35
Thank you both very much. Pringles