PDA

View Full Version : Last minute tent advice

Vet4thruhike
12-26-2014, 01:15
I decided not far into my planning that I wanted to hammock on my thru hike but after doing a shakedown trip have decided to ditch the hammock til it atleast warms up in the spring. Anybody have any advice on tents? I seen rei had a single person at about 2 1/2 pounds for around $170, any rei renters maybe? I'm also still looking into sleeping pads which has proved to be a back and forth thing lol thanks in advance for any help yall can give me

Maui Rhino
12-26-2014, 07:43
I've been very happy with my Tarptent Contrail. Easy to set up, roomy, and light. If you prefer a side-entry tent, then check out the TT Notch. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either one.

Joe Rogowski
12-26-2014, 09:49
i have the grande mesa 2 its big enoungh to put my pack in the tent with me. its a little heavy at 4.10 but its 100 bucks and ive used it through a good storm and was perfectly dry

tarditi
12-26-2014, 10:11
I used my ENO doublenest and heatsheet with my thermarest pad and sleeping bag + kelty ark tarp.
It was cold and rainy during the shoulder season and we were fine.

No need for a tent, unless you really want one. You can even use an underquilt.

Studlintsean
12-26-2014, 10:58
+1 on the Tarptent Contrail. Plenty of room for 1 plus I put an 80lb dog in it occasionally (and will tomorrow night). Has held up well through some major summer storms and light snow. Easy to set up and the vestibule has room for excess gear to keep dry.

Boots and Backpacks
12-26-2014, 12:12
If you're OK with a 2 person tent. Six Moon Designs has their Outfitter (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/90-outfitter-lemons-to-lemonade-sale.html) tent on special for $60. They had a production run from earlier in the year, and many of the tents showed up with stains on them. All proceeds go to a trail organization of your choice (AT is one of them).

bigcranky
12-26-2014, 12:27
If you can find a Moment or a Contrail used before you leave, both are good tents. If you wanted to buy something new, I think the Tarptent Notch is the current sweet spot for features and price.

Lyle
12-26-2014, 12:56
I generally use a tarp of some form, but if I were looking for a tent for added warmth in the outside edges of shoulder season, I would seek out a double wall, fabric tent. They will be the warmest, and offer the best protection. 1 1/2 or 2 man would also be my choice - nights are long during these times, nice to have room to spread out your gear or invite a friend in for socialization.

The down side, of course, will be weight and bulk. If you try to stretch it into the summer, they can be hot and rather stifling. I would go with inexpensive, due to the limited time it would be used each year. REI has a history of making good quality, serviceable tents.

Lyle
12-26-2014, 13:07
That SMD Outfitter tent deal looks extremely tempting. I could use a decent tent for biking/car camping. HMMMMMM...

Matt65
12-26-2014, 13:24
If you're OK with a 2 person tent. Six Moon Designs has their Outfitter (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/90-outfitter-lemons-to-lemonade-sale.html) tent on special for $60. They had a production run from earlier in the year, and many of the tents showed up with stains on them. All proceeds go to a trail organization of your choice (AT is one of them).
Decent deal, looks like they are out of stock now.

HeartFire
12-26-2014, 16:35
LightHeart Gear (http://www.lightheartgear.com) - 15% off through the end of the year on all tents and rain gear

Don H
12-26-2014, 16:46
I've been very happy with my Henry Sires Contrail and my Six Moon Design Lunar Solo which is what I thrued with. SMDLS is 23 oz. and uses one trekking pole.

sfdoc
12-26-2014, 17:53
Check out the Kelty Salida.

Vet4thruhike
12-26-2014, 20:52
Thanks for all the help guys these are some good looking options. That $60 deal looks like they are out, but I checked out the lunar solo and the tarptent contrail and I'm pretty interested in one of the two now to decide wether I like the front or the side entrance lol. Anybody got any advice on a good sleeping pad for side sleeping and what r rating I should be looking at? I've heard 4 should work pretty good at least for the start, march-early MayMay

rock steady
12-26-2014, 21:17
IMHO:If REI is near and you have time just rent for a weekend from REI. I love my Big Agnes copper spur UL2! It has kept me dry in a couple of bad storms. And check w/REI to see when their 'garage sale' is coming up. Good luck!

Vet4thruhike
12-26-2014, 21:32
I actually just checked earlier today and they have one coming up in kennesaw ga on the 4th definitely plan on going

daddytwosticks
12-27-2014, 07:47
If you are looking for something good, cheap, and somewhat light, check out the Eurika Spitfire solo. Good serviceable tent. Used it sucessfully for years before jumping on the tarptent bandwagen. :)

sparky2000
12-27-2014, 08:47
Side sleeping needs a mattress such as thermarest. Note that the tent/shelters suggested are
expensive. As a vet have u thought about the simple tarp 10' X 10' wally $7.00.

bigcranky
12-27-2014, 10:11
Thanks for all the help guys these are some good looking options. That $60 deal looks like they are out, but I checked out the lunar solo and the tarptent contrail and I'm pretty interested in one of the two now to decide wether I like the front or the side entrance lol. Anybody got any advice on a good sleeping pad for side sleeping and what r rating I should be looking at? I've heard 4 should work pretty good at least for the start, march-early MayMay

Neoair Xtherm for max comfort and warmth. But a cheap CCF pad will keep you warm and you're young enough that maybe it won't be too too uncomfortable :)

I'd get the side entrance for a tent, just a personal preference.