PDA

View Full Version : Maps

Papa Al
12-26-2014, 10:21
I will be carrying Awol's guide and have maps sent for the Whites. Are maps necessary for the rest of the trail?

Old Hiker
12-26-2014, 10:23
I liked them as a backup. I could see where to bail, if needed. I had them shipped to me every other state or so.

Slo-go'en
12-26-2014, 15:10
Most people don't bother with maps for the AT. However, it can be fun to carry a state road map and highlight the section of trail you did each day to mark the progress through a state. State road maps show the AT with of course all the road crossings and nearby towns. If you go to the state's tourist info web site, you can request a free state road map.

I kind of like the "pocketProfile" maps. Their inexpensive and have enough info that you could actually get away without a guide book.

Jeff
12-26-2014, 19:03
You will appreciate a trail map if you sustain an injury and are looking for the quickest route to town.

Traveler
12-27-2014, 07:36
You will appreciate a trail map if you sustain an injury and are looking for the quickest route to town.

Spot on. Maps are not "essential" until you need one, at that point they become invaluable.

garlic08
12-27-2014, 08:54
Most people don't bother with maps for the AT. However, it can be fun to carry a state road map and highlight the section of trail you did each day to mark the progress through a state. State road maps show the AT with of course all the road crossings and nearby towns. If you go to the state's tourist info web site, you can request a free state road map.

This is what I did and it worked out fine. The only place I wanted a map was in the Whites so you are smart for getting that.

earlyriser26
12-27-2014, 09:07
Maps have saved me more than once when I had to get off the trail on some remote dirt road. Go one way, and it is 2 miles to the blacktop, the other 20.

Coffee
12-27-2014, 09:32
On section hikes of the AT, I have not felt the need for maps from a safety perspective but I do get value from having maps for other reasons such as just understanding where I am in relation to geographic landmarks, roads, towns, and various side trails. I like to have a sense of the nature of the land I'm passing through. On hikes where I have gone without a map, or carried just a park service "handout" type of map, I always have felt that I'm missing important context regarding where I am. So for me at least, maps are more than just navigational and part of the overall hiking experience.

bamboo bob
12-27-2014, 10:50
I lot of people have maps because of the ability to bail out easier and just like to visually see where you are. Certainly not NEEDED. You can sure add a lot of weight with all that "might need gear" OTOH the guthook AT maps weighs nothing if you have a smart phone anyway.

takethisbread
12-30-2014, 14:56
I hiked the trail without maps and really no guide book. Follow the blazes and listen to the scuttlebutt and you'll be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evyck da fleet
12-30-2014, 17:01
Most people I saw in '12 got by with just AWOL's guide.

I liked having the map set so I could see elevation profiles, side trails and what's coming up in the next few days. After the hike, it was nice to see where I camped each night since I marked the maps. I was surprised at how many memories that brought back of what I did those days. The only mail drops I had were to send and receive maps when I mailed home or received my cold winter gear again.

Papa Al
12-31-2014, 10:44
Thanks for all the info on maps. Think I will probably carry them, if nothing else just for a security blanket.