PDA

View Full Version : Summer Sleep System

Kentuckyhiker18
12-26-2014, 13:48
Hi, I am looking to buy sleeping gear for the summer temperatures, which are usually in the 60s where I live. I don't want to spend over $175. I already have a Tarptent that I use, I just need a bag or a substitute for a bag. Do any of you have ideas for a lightweight sleeping system. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joey C
12-26-2014, 14:04
http://www.undergroundquilts.com/50tq/default.html

Rowdy1
12-26-2014, 15:00
I picked up a 50 degree la fuma bag for under $100 dollars on my thru. It weighs just over a pound, and did its job. I used it from mt. Rogers virginia to maine, and it held up fine. Only some very minor stitching started to fray. I don't know the model of the bag, but I'm sure you could find it easily.

saltysack
12-26-2014, 16:11
JRB Sierra stealth 45 deg quilt...had seconds for $100..nice down quilt

Slo-go'en
12-26-2014, 16:30
Wal-Mart. $70 for a 30* down bag. That should be good for 50* :)

Damn Yankee
12-26-2014, 17:12
Go to any Army/Navy surplus and pick up the 32* down bag from the sleep system, cheap, lightweight and durable as hell. This is what I use.

daddytwosticks
12-27-2014, 07:59
How about a surplus poncho liner?

I use a Montbell Thermal Sheet opened up as a quilt. Pretty price at about $180-$190, though. :)

sparky2000
12-27-2014, 08:40
A wool blanket on top of a pad rated r3 or better will do fine.

Kentuckyhiker18
12-27-2014, 13:01
How much do most wool blankets weigh?

Slo-go'en
12-27-2014, 14:40

A lot more then most sleeping bags, but of course it depends on the thickness of the blanket. Plus they can be itchy and take up a lot of space since they don't compress. A fleece sleeping bag would probably be a better (more comfortable) choice (and easier to find), but it's still pretty bulky.

If your only camping in the summer, in the south, you really don't need much of a blanket.

Tuckahoe
12-27-2014, 15:05
A wool blanket on top of a pad rated r3 or better will do fine.

Ummmm really?

Figure easily 3lbs for a light weight blanket that will be comfortable to the mid 50s to low 60s.

A lot more then most sleeping bags, but of course it depends on the thickness of the blanket. Plus they can be itchy and take up a lot of space since they don't compress. A fleece sleeping bag would probably be a better (more comfortable) choice (and easier to find), but it's still pretty bulky.

If your only camping in the summer, in the south, you really don't need much of a blanket.

+1. This, I still use wool blankets and love them, but I would never consider using one for hiking. They do not compress well and for the insulation provided they are just simply too heavy at 3 to 5 pounds. New wool blankets of good quality will cost just as much as a synthetic summer weight sleeping bag all the way up to that of a 4 season expedition bag (take a moment to price a real Hudsons Bay blanket), and surplused military blankets show the ravages of time and improper storage and pricing too that is often driven by the collector values to prices as high as the cost of new summer weight sleeping bags.

Odd Man Out
12-27-2014, 15:18
http://www.undergroundquilts.com/50tq/default.html

+1 on this. I have their 40 deg quilt. Really nice.

pmkmw1
12-29-2014, 00:02
Snugpak jungle bag is a great summerwiegjt bag that is light compact and under 100 bucks. Personally I think using down for a summer bag is kind of a waste of money but that's M2C

HooKooDooKu
12-29-2014, 01:04
Campmor has the Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 45 on sale for $180 (BackCountryGear for $120... but I've never bought from them).
The size long is just over 1.5lbs and stuffs down to only 6"x8".

I would already own one if it wasn't for the fact I've already got an Ultralamina 32 that I use in summer, late spring, and early fall. At only 2lbs, I can't justify spending $$$ just to save 8oz.

One year, I tried using a cheap lightweight fleece blanket/bag for summer use. But I found temperatures along the AT in The Great Smokey Mountains to be too cold at times for such a bag. I was at Ice Water Springs shelter the night of July 4th, 2014. That night, Mt. LeConte Lodge (located 5 miles away and only 500' higher in elevation) recorded a low of 38 degrees. I was quite snug in my 32 bag that night.

Dogwood
12-29-2014, 02:40
Hi, I am looking to buy sleeping gear for the summer temperatures, which are usually in the 60s where I live. I don't want to spend over $175. I already have a Tarptent that I use, I just need a bag or a substitute for a bag. Do any of you have ideas for a lightweight sleeping system. Thanks

Those are some good temps to try out the versatility of a quilt. A great value buy with great versatility is an Enlightened Equipment Prodigy 50* quilt. Lots of versatility in that it can easily be layered over a sleeping bag since it opens up flat(non sewn footbox, nice to layer a synthetic over a high end down bag that isn't quite warm enough by itself), has some greater moisture resistance and warmth if it gets damp or if you get sweaty hiking in humid condition(umm, Kentucky in the late spring, summer) in that it's synthetic Climashield Apex. A reg length reg width will weigh about 14 oz, compress decently although slightly less than down, and cost ya about $155. You get some excellent service with prompt communication from the owner/manufacturer too who makes it in the USA in Minnesota.

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/prodigy/

tpike2
12-29-2014, 05:29
Fleece liner works great. Cheap too.

Vthiker77
12-30-2014, 05:57
I have a western mountaineering caribou if interested.

Vthiker77
12-30-2014, 05:57
Never mind. Sorry I just saw the price limit.

takethisbread
12-30-2014, 10:19
Fleece blanket from goodwill. $2 and lightweight. Boom. Your welcome.

Hot5nics
12-31-2014, 22:12
+1 on the UGQ Flight Jacket. I just picked up a 50 degree on their Black Friday sale. It is awesome.