PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: 35mm film canisters

Damn Yankee
12-26-2014, 15:13
Looking for 6-8 empty 35mm film canisters. Thank you!

Rolls Kanardly
12-26-2014, 15:33
Looking for 6-8 empty 35mm film canisters. Thank you!

Tell us what you are thinking, maybe we have an alternative.

Rolls

Slo-go'en
12-26-2014, 15:39
Those are getting scare. I should dust off one of my old 35mm cameras and buy some film just to get the canisters :)

Hikes in Rain
12-26-2014, 15:39
Hmm...didn't realize they were still so available: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0&_nkw=35mm+film+canisters&_sacat=0

Damn Yankee
12-26-2014, 17:18
Ya, still available but like $1 a piece on ebay. I have one of Matt Kirks Sub60 packs and needed the canisters for the shoulder strap bandolier as in this picture.

https://sub60.wikispaces.com/file/view/SCOTT%27S%20PACK.JPG

atraildreamer
12-26-2014, 17:19
I used to go to the WalMart photo shop and ask. I always got a bagful for free. Digital camera and phones are killing the traditional film industry (remember Kodak?). Does WalMart still have a photo shop???

Second Half
12-26-2014, 17:26
I used to go to the WalMart photo shop and ask. I always got a bagful for free. Digital camera and phones are killing the traditional film industry (remember Kodak?). Does WalMart still have a photo shop???

And whatever happened to all those 1 hour photo booths?

atraildreamer
12-26-2014, 17:48
And whatever happened to all those 1 hour photo booths?

They are going to use them for toll booths on the AT! :eek: :D :banana

Hikes in Rain
12-26-2014, 17:59
Ya, still available but like $1 a piece on ebay. I have one of Matt Kirks Sub60 packs and needed the canisters for the shoulder strap bandolier as in this picture.

https://sub60.wikispaces.com/file/view/SCOTT%27S%20PACK.JPG

Hey, that's clever. I can see all kinds of uses there.

Mags
12-26-2014, 18:49
Through the power of Google, this alternative was found:

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f32/35mm-film-canister-alternative-20592/

Medical supply company? Local pharmacy? May be easier to get these containers, and less $$$, to get at this point.

Damn Yankee
12-26-2014, 19:21

Remember Kodak? Yeah, they closed recently

GummiBear
12-26-2014, 19:32
I have been hoarding a bunch of canisters but I am willing to send some out if you still are in need.

Damn Yankee
12-26-2014, 20:16
I wouldn't say it's a need. More like a want but, I appreciate your offer. I will PM you my information and will send a little thank you back your way.

Rolls Kanardly
12-26-2014, 22:00
Pill bottle will work if the looks do not bother you and the lid stays on better (can be locked) and is also waterproof.

Rolls

atraildreamer
12-27-2014, 15:52

The funny/tragic thing about their filing for bankruptcy is that they did pioneering research in digital photography, but never pursued it farther!

garlic08
12-27-2014, 16:28
Through the power of Google, this alternative was found:

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f32/35mm-film-canister-alternative-20592/

Medical supply company? Local pharmacy? May be easier to get these containers, and less $$$, to get at this point.

Given the epidemic proportion of diabetes these days, chances are you know a diabetic who has plenty of test strip containers lying around. I think they are going to be the "next film canister" for holding small things. And there's probably less chemical contamination in them than in film canisters. My wife sees a lot of them while geocaching, and she reports that they, like film canisters, will eventually leak.

moytoy
12-27-2014, 20:19
My wife is a diabetic and I have been using the test strip canisters for a few years now. There are two sizes that she gets. The larger size is white plastic and the smaller is black. The white is a littler more durable but both hold up pretty well and as someone pointed out the lid is attached. The lid hinge is good for 500+ openings and closings.

Sly
12-27-2014, 21:52

The funny/tragic thing about their filing for bankruptcy is that they did pioneering research in digital photography, but never pursued it farther!

Kodak may have filed for bankruptcy 3 years ago but are actively trading on the NYSE

squeezebox
12-28-2014, 07:09
Your local pharmacy/drug store/CVA should have a pack of 50 3x3 zip lock bags for 3-4$

Traveler
12-28-2014, 08:21
Kodak may have filed for bankruptcy 3 years ago but are actively trading on the NYSE

Kodak closed out its camera division, the company itself is still business after coming out of Chapter 11 and engaged mostly with business to business product/service sales in digital printing, film processing (motion picture and special use filming and commercial films), and graphics among other things.

atraildreamer
12-28-2014, 14:26
Kodak closed out its camera division, the company itself is still business after coming out of Chapter 11 and engaged mostly with business to business product/service sales in digital printing, film processing (motion picture and special use filming and commercial films), and graphics among other things.

So, it's good they found a niche market where they can make some $$$.

Malto
12-28-2014, 17:18

Classic case of a company who discovers a way of upsetting the status quo. Unfortunately when that company IS the status quo then it is often not in their apparent short term best interest to pursue it.

RockDoc
12-28-2014, 17:58
A lot of us still shoot film on a daily basis.
Those of you gloating about digital, enjoy your McDonalds instant meal because there's much to be said for the lovingly home cooked meal in terms of soul and classic quality.

Damn Yankee
12-28-2014, 18:17
Those of you gloating about digital, enjoy your McDonalds instant meal because there's much to be said for the lovingly home cooked meal in terms of soul and classic quality.

Here, Here!

Mags
12-28-2014, 23:37

I shoot digital. Have taken many good photos. I am also a darn good
home cook. Just a tool in the end and how you use the tool is what matters.

Glad you shoot film. but you also sound like a hipster with buddy holly glasses who works at a record store.

Sly
12-28-2014, 23:50
I wonder what Matt used all the canisters for in the bandoleer? Mini Snicker bars, gnu shots?

Traveler
12-29-2014, 07:35
I think its illegal to use a Buddy Holly reference if you weren't alive when he was....

Damn Yankee
12-29-2014, 07:56
He used them for first-aid, repair kit etc.

rocketsocks
12-29-2014, 08:03
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyq8xeXOt5zEDF-aWCzbW1VOdhWZ5kXBUFHi8SwpHtf8KEuUjS:cdn.dickblick. com/items/048/09/04809-1002-3ww-l.jpg

Plastic or metal palette cups may work for as well. Art supply stores, or online.

Just Bill
12-29-2014, 17:18
The gent in question said he found them at CVS/Walgreens, etc.
Also mentioned there is a same diameter Nalgene version that is tall enough to hold batteries and/or bic lighter.
I believe that Matt also uses a dropper bottle with bleach in his system- good way to keep soap handy too.

I have had luck at US Plastics-
I get hose and quick disconnects for water systems from them, as well as Nalgene bottles- but I notice these as well as lots of other products from them if you poke around. Quantities are usually the problem though with them.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.aspx?catid=872&parentcatid=620

Found this too-
http://www.amazon.com/Microlab-Scientific-Film-Canisters-Pack/dp/B00IMUBZFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419886918&sr=8-1&keywords=35mm+film+canisters

For easy one size fits all- the Nalgene travel bottle kit is nice to have so you can pick and choose a size as needed and customize easier-
http://www.rei.com/product/402167/nalgene-multipurpose-vial-kit

Peel and stick Velcro is available most places.

FWIW- I just prefer a ditty bag with pill bags, but the Bandoleer system is fun and a neat way to keep everything at hand for sure.

In scouts we used to play with a mini kit with film cans that can be a fun challenge-
Needle, thread, repair tapes, fire starter, first aid, bullion cubes, fishing gear, spice jars and on-and-on. You can make a pretty neat little survival kit this way.

perrymk
01-03-2015, 07:22
http://www.instructables.com/id/Bottle-Cap-Container/

Offshore
01-03-2015, 09:19

I shot film for years and went to digital exclusively in 2003. I think that film is actually the fast food here. The principles of photography are the same regardless of the tool. You compose the shot, choose your exposure time, aperture, and depth of field, etc. exactly the same with digital as with film. The real opportunity for creativity comes in the post-processing workflow. Unless you are running your own darkroom (which I did back in the day), with film you just drop it off at the processor and hope for the best. With digital, the creative process really just begins with the shot. Using programs such as Lightroom, Photoshop or even some of the open source alternatives, the possibilities are endless. You can apply a film grain effect, should you wish, or even "save" a poorly-shot image. Another advantages of digital is that its cheaper than film, so you can go wild and shoot at will while honing your skills or increasing the likelihood of that perfect shot. Digital also allows the photographs to be enjoyed more, unlike paper photos that are trapped in an album or sitting in a drawer. I'm in the process of digitizing 30+ years of photos and have reconnected with many people in my past by sending them copies of photos from back in the day. Except for a small and perhaps contrarian crowd, film is a ship that has sailed.

Traveler
01-03-2015, 09:22
I shot film for years and went to digital exclusively in 2003. I think that film is actually the fast food here. The principles of photography are the same regardless of the tool. You compose the shot, choose your exposure time, aperture, and depth of field, etc. exactly the same with digital as with film. The real opportunity for creativity comes in the post-processing workflow. Unless you are running your own darkroom (which I did back in the day), with film you just drop it off and pick it up and hope for the best. With digital, the creative process really just begins with the shot. Using programs such as Lightroom, Photoshop or even some of the open source alternatives, the possibilities are endless. You can even apply a film grain effect, should you wish, or even "save" a poorly-shot image. Another advantages of digital is that its cheaper than film, so you can go wild and shoot at will. Digital also allows the photographs to be enjoyed more, unlike paper photos that are trapped in an album or sitting in a drawer. I'm in the process of digitizing 30+ years of photos and have reconnected with many people in my past by sending them copies of photos from back in the day. Except for a small niche crowd, film is a ship that has sailed. Digital is getting better and better as well as more accessible.

I'm sure Ansel Adams would have some thoughts on this....

Offshore
01-03-2015, 09:26
I'm sure Ansel Adams would have some thoughts on this....

Seeing digital wasn't an option in his heyday and that he's been dead for 30 years, I doubt it. Take a look at the best photographers of today and look what they're shooting.

RangerZ
01-03-2015, 10:23
Given the epidemic proportion of diabetes these days, chances are you know a diabetic who has plenty of test strip containers lying around. I think they are going to be the "next film canister" for holding small things. And there's probably less chemical contamination in them than in film canisters. My wife sees a lot of them while geocaching, and she reports that they, like film canisters, will eventually leak.

I put some matches in one and ran it thru the wash a number of times with no leaks, matches worked.