PDA

View Full Version : Ascend Brand Socks -- US Made

Tuckahoe
12-27-2014, 12:14
I am not quite sure what it is, but when ever making the trip between my house and my dad's we always end up stopping at the Hampton Bass Pro Outdoor World. We usually never buy anything, but are atleast entertained for about an hour with a meandering stroll around a store that somehow has merged the Disney experience with big box shopping.

While wandering the sock aisle I found the Ascend brand socks...

What intrigued me was the claim on the packaging of, "Made, sewn and grown entirely in the U.S."

I was not familiar with Ascend and do not recall seeing it mentioned on WB, so I snapped the photos of the package labels and did a little research. I found that Ascend is among Bass Pro's private in house labels of clothing and gear. Much of the products are infact made overseas, however, with the socks, they are made from US merino (most merino is produced in Australia, New Zealand, and South America), US man made fibers, and made at mills in North or South Carolina.

Made, Sewn, and Grown Entirely in the U.S.For generations, American-made products have stood for durability, quality, and innovation. It’s a tradition that some companies have lost, but it’s still alive and well for Ascend™ socks at Bass Pro ShopsŪ. These handcrafted Ascend hiking socks are made with 100% U.S.-grown merino wool and all-American nylon and elastic yarns to make them sturdy, shrink-resistant, and so comfortable you’ll always want to hike the extra mile. Our socks are produced by a dedicated work force locally based in the Carolinas so you can feel good knowing every sock is proudly made, sewn, and grown entirely in the U.S.

I have not tried the brand myself, but I know for many there is a preference for American made, so I thought I might bring these to WB's attention -- http://t.basspro.com/Brand-Ascend/Shoes-Boots-Socks/_/N-1z0wo2qZ1z0usme?cm_sp=HBS7AscendSksJul2013_RCATRT

hikehunter
12-27-2014, 20:57
I have a few pair of these. I give them a 7.5 . They are great work socks. As for LONG distance AT thru hike??? you may need to have some sent to you after about 6 to 700 miles. I like my "darn tough" .

Wise Old Owl
12-27-2014, 23:17
Interesting - And Merino wool is fine... I think you would shoot thru these very fast. Combinations of Spun Polyester, Spandex, Wool.. or combinations.

Why? I plow thru streams in the summer and smart socks or darn tough do not retain water after or about 30 minutes.

Tuckahoe
12-27-2014, 23:50
I have a few pair of these. I give them a 7.5 . They are great work socks. As for LONG distance AT thru hike??? you may need to have some sent to you after about 6 to 700 miles. I like my "darn tough" .

Ah, so about the same mileage that folks say they are getting from their strail shoes. ;)

Interesting - And Merino wool is fine... I think you would shoot thru these very fast. Combinations of Spun Polyester, Spandex, Wool.. or combinations.

Why? I plow thru streams in the summer and smart socks or darn tough do not retain water after or about 30 minutes.

WOO I am not sure what you are trying to get at here. Synthetics vs. wool vs. longevity?

These socks have the same fiber content as both Smart Wool and Darn Tough socks, which is a pretty standard 66% wool, 30% nylon and 3% spandex (+/-), and the same sock weight as Smart Wool's light hikers.