PDA

View Full Version : Hello all, I'm new around here!

SplitOpenandMelt
12-27-2014, 13:03
Hello,

My name is Brian and I discovered this website while browsing around the side bar on r/appalachiantrail.

I'll be graduating from college this upcoming May and it's been my dream for quite some time to thru-hike the AT. I'm hoping I'll be able to do it within the next couple of years. I'm not all too well seasoned in backpacking, although I do go hiking and camping a fair amount. I'm hoping to gain some more knowledge of the trail and understand how I can prepare for such an adventure.

Thanks all, I look forward to being a part of this community! Seems like an awesome place with good people.

double d
12-27-2014, 13:16
Welcome to WB! Looks like you live in Maine, so of course there are some great hiking trails (like the AT) in your state. I would suggest to maybe join a hiking club, do some day-weekend hikes in your area and learn as much as you can about what you love about hiking, gear use, etc. You might also want to take a Wilderness First Aid class as well. Good luck and have fun!!!!

SplitOpenandMelt
12-27-2014, 13:25
Welcome to WB! Looks like you live in Maine, so of course there are some great hiking trails (like the AT) in your state. I would suggest to maybe join a hiking club, do some day-weekend hikes in your area and learn as much as you can about what you love about hiking, gear use, etc. You might also want to take a Wilderness First Aid class as well. Good luck and have fun!!!!

I'm a part of my school's outing club, and there's a wilderness first aid class I can do that my school offers once a semester! Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely be doing that.

Slo-go'en
12-27-2014, 14:34
If you can handle the trail in Maine, everything else will seem easy :) Get some gear and start doing some hikes.

Roanmtnman
12-27-2014, 15:03
Welcome !! My name is Brian too :P Get out and have some fun!

LostBoy86
12-27-2014, 15:10
Hey Brian, my name is Faison. Im brand new to this site also... how did you post this thread? i can only find where to reply to other peoples post (like I'm doing now). Any help would be great. thanks

Feral Bill
12-27-2014, 15:37
I'll suggest a couple of books:

The Complete Walker IV by Colin Fletcher and Chip Rawlings

Advanced Backpacking by Chris Townsend

Hard copy books are really a better first resource than web sites, though both have value.

atraildreamer
12-27-2014, 15:39
Welcome to WB! :welcome:)

Here is your first Dancing Banana:

:banana

Most of us here at WB have earned a lot of them! :D

Slo-go'en
12-27-2014, 15:40
Hey Brian, my name is Faison. Im brand new to this site also... how did you post this thread? i can only find where to reply to other peoples post (like I'm doing now). Any help would be great. thanks

Go to the top of the page, click on "FORUM", select the category you want (there are a number, "general" is a common choice) then click on "start new thread".

Damn Yankee
12-27-2014, 16:57
Welcome. My name is Brian also. Not really, just kidding. Just wanted to welcome you to the sight

Bigfoot86
12-27-2014, 19:02
Welcome to whiteblaze and get out there and start hiking

Demeter
12-27-2014, 20:22
The best way to prepare is to get out and do it! Start locally and in mild conditions. As your experience with backpacking grows (and your equipment list), so too, will your desire to "test" yourself in more extreme conditions...

SplitOpenandMelt
12-27-2014, 22:05
Thanks for the hospitality everyone! I'll wait until the end of winter and see if my girlfriend would want to take a couple of days with me and go up to the AT and hike around for a few days. I go to school around Portland so I'm not too close to where the AT is; that's at least a 3 hour drive I'd say. I've hiked a few mountains in Maine and stayed at some state parks and whatnot but I haven't done any overnight hikes and "stealth camped" as they'd say. Definitely looking forward to doing some of that.

atraildreamer
12-28-2014, 14:33
...I'll wait until the end of winter and see if my girlfriend would want to take a couple of days with me and go up to the AT and hike around for a few days. ...

If she can put up with the AT, bugs, :eek: sleeping in a shelter or tent, :eek: lack of hot, running water, :eek:cooking on a small stove, :eek:eating out of a freezer bag, :eek: etc., and still enjoy the experience, she's a keeper! :rolleyes: Marry her ASAP! :D :):banana

QiWiz
12-28-2014, 18:13
Welcome. Lots of good people and good info here for ya.