PDA

View Full Version : water sources near West Mtn Shelter in NY?

somers515
12-27-2014, 21:17
Safe to assume to the water sources near West Mtn Shelter near Bear Mountain, NY will be in good shape this time of year? I was specifically eyeing Beechy Bottom Brook about .8 miles south on the AT before the shelter. Any reports on the current conditions on this stretch of the AT? Thanks in advance for any tips!

twilight
12-27-2014, 23:33
As I remember it, there is no water source at the shelter. If you are hiking southbound, water up at Beechy Bottom Brook. Shelter is 0.6 miles off the AT. I remember seeing the Meadowlands Stadium from up at that shelter.

Twilight

LIhikers
12-27-2014, 23:44
As I remember it, there is no water source at the shelter. If you are hiking southbound, water up at Beechy Bottom Brook. Shelter is 0.6 miles off the AT. I remember seeing the Meadowlands Stadium from up at that shelter.

Twilight

I was in Harriman Park today and there seemed to be plenty of water, at least on the west side of the park anyway.
If Beechy Bottom is dry you can go down into Doodletown and get water from the reservoir. It's not close but it's wet.

KillerKarma
12-28-2014, 21:03
Haven't been out that way since September. Last fill up before West Mountain was the rest stop on the Pallisades. It was super dry. Hopefully better with the weather we've had.

somers515
12-30-2014, 00:58
Thanks all for the tips. We filled up at the brook (just after Pallisades Pkwy crossing) hiked up West Mtn and camped right next to the West Mtn Shelter. I know it's considered far off the AT as it is about 1/2 mile down a blue blazed side trail but I think it's well worth it for the view of the NYC skyline right from your campsite. Shelter also has a new roof and floor and fireplace. Trail overall was in great shape, thank you all NY-NJ trail maintainers and volunteers!