PDA

View Full Version : "Epic" Backpacking adventure

Douglas Ivan Brown
12-28-2014, 16:20
I've got have 10-30 to do a backpacking trip with my 19 year-old son who is currently away at college. We have had some great trips. We have backpacked portions ot the AT, the Pacific Northwest, in the Andes, and in the Rockies. He is top shape and I am little above average for a dad in his mid-fifties. He wants a trip that he will never forget. Any suggestions for specific sections of the AT?

juma
12-28-2014, 16:45
the whites and maine.

Malto
12-28-2014, 17:02
If you want epic I would do another trail. JMT, Wonderland, Colorado, Winds, Glacier, Wa section of PCT etc. I would not limit myself to the AT. There are far more epic trips.

MuddyWaters
12-28-2014, 17:25
I dont understand wording of question. What is 10-30?

Distance/time available is important.

Siestita
12-28-2014, 18:16
"Distance/time available is important."

Yes! And the precise time of year that you'll make this trip will also matter.

Feral Bill
12-28-2014, 19:04
Wonderland Trail, Canadian Rockies, Pasayten Wilderness (WA), Denali NP, Eagle Cap Wilderness (OR), Grand Canyon

Shutterbug
12-28-2014, 20:35
Wonderland Trail, Canadian Rockies, Pasayten Wilderness (WA), Denali NP, Eagle Cap Wilderness (OR), Grand Canyon

Since you specifically mentioned the AT, I suggest the 100 Mile Wilderness in Maine.

I would agree with the Wonderland Trail, the Canadian Rockies and the Grand Canyon. I have not hiked the Pasayen Wilderniess or Denai, so I can't speak to them.

I would add the PCT through the Goat Rocks Wilderness and the Colorado Trail a two more possibilities.

I didn't find the Eagle Cap Wilderness to be as exciting, but I had some distractions. I went during elk hunting season, and was concerned that I might be mistaken for an elk.

Douglas Ivan Brown
12-29-2014, 11:46
I have an opportunity for my son and I to take a backpacking trip in May for about twenty days. We have backpacked portions ot the AT (mostly southern sections), the Pacific Northwest, in the Andes, and in the Rockies. My son is in top shape and I am just a little above average for a dad in his mid-fifties. He wants a trip that he will never forget. Any suggestions specific to the AT?

runt13
12-29-2014, 13:10
Shutterbug.....you look nothing like an elk! lol

RUNT ''13''

MuddyWaters
12-29-2014, 13:58
May eliminates a lot.
the southern and mid-atlantic AT is good, but not "epic" by my definition
time spent with dad can be though

Springer thru the smokies would fit the bill 240 miles

"a little above average" for your shape isnt encouraging to me, for the sole reason that the average shape of most americans in their 50s, is pretty horrible. Many men are a heart attack waiting to happen. Shape and pack weight determines what kind of miles you can do and what trip distance , etc..

Douglas Ivan Brown
12-29-2014, 15:12
Thanks Muddy Waters. Although, I've done that stretch of the AT, I was thinking of doing the same trek. BTW: I guess I am above average and generally keep pace with backpackers/hikers half my age. My pack weight generally hovers around 22 pounds (a bit lighter in summer) including water. I average around 12-17 on moderate trips and rarely do I backpack farther in a day, but often I elect to do less. I try to backpack less than 8/10 hours a day depending on the season.

MuddyWaters
12-29-2014, 15:41
Thanks Muddy Waters. Although, I've done that stretch of the AT, I was thinking of doing the same trek. BTW: I guess I am above average and generally keep pace with backpackers/hikers half my age. My pack weight generally hovers around 22 pounds (a bit lighter in summer) including water. I average around 12-17 on moderate trips and rarely do I backpack farther in a day, but often I elect to do less. I try to backpack less than 8/10 hours a day depending on the season.

yeah, id say you are way above the average american dad in their 50s:)

takethisbread
12-30-2014, 15:49
the whites and maine. what he said! The Whites are still my favorite destination for hiking in the US followed by Goat Rocks, Black Hills, Yosemite, and Wonderland Trail

RED-DOG
12-30-2014, 16:04
YellowStone National Park is a AWESOME place to hike, so far to date it's the best hiking experience i have had, Nothing on the east coast will compare to it, and i have thru-hiked the AT three times, the Northern sections of the CDT and other places in the U.S, but never directly on the WEST coast
Or i would suggest the "Great west Coast trail" or maybe the High Sierras. never hiked their but i heard it was awesome.
But if your going to LIMIT yourself to the AT i would suggest the entire Presidential Range in NH or Monson to Katahdan, I really don't see how this could be an EPIC adventure.

Connie
12-30-2014, 16:30
The new 400-mile Bigfoot Trail in Northern California looks good, to me. I woukd think hiking a new trail would be "epic".

Resupply. Trail miles. Mail drops.

It would be a chance to be one of the first thru-hikes.

bigcranky
12-30-2014, 17:20
Unfortunately May does preclude some awesome hikes on the AT and the Long Trail. Too much mud, and the trail clubs ask that you stay off the trail in May up north.

You could start at Davenport Gap and hike north to Damascus or further on to Atkins. That would give you all the NC and TN balds, which are pretty cool (not sure about "epic" but I do like hiking in that area.) Or start at Rockfish Gap and head south through Virginia - lots of good climbs and great views in May.

RED-DOG
12-30-2014, 17:47
The new 400-mile Bigfoot Trail in Northern California looks good, to me. I woukd think hiking a new trail would be "epic".

Resupply. Trail miles. Mail drops.

It would be a chance to be one of the first thru-hikes.

That does sound pretty interesting, and yes it would be nice to be one of the first to hike it before it turns to ruts and trash bound.

Connie
12-30-2014, 18:11
The climate is more hiker-friendly, regardless of the season.

I am looking into this hike, for myself.

fiddlehead
12-30-2014, 20:38
May is not a good time to hike anywhere north of Mason Dixon Line. IMO.
Epic on the AT in the south?
Springer to Hot Springs NC.

Epic other places in May? Nepal
Not a good month for most of your "epic" places, unless you are skiing or snowshoeing.

Douglas Ivan Brown
12-30-2014, 21:51
Yep, that's what I've been thinking. I am going to look in to the Bigfoot Trail.

MuddyWaters
12-30-2014, 22:27
Yep, that's what I've been thinking. I am going to look in to the Bigfoot Trail.

My understanding is the Bigfoot trail, isnt really a hikeable trail as we think of well defined trials, and has all sorts of problems.
Contact John Abela of HikeLighter.com, he has worked more on it than anyone. He yo-yod it this year. successful thru hikes were done in either Oct-Nov or July

The BMT is another possibility. Wilder and more solitude than the AT. 300 miles. Or the Pinhoti.