PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on early march start?

Vet4thruhike
12-28-2014, 17:46
Anybody planning on leaving around the first of march? I was planning on leaving the 11 on the approach but looking at maybe hitting it a week and a half or 2 weeks early to avoid big crowds. Anybody think it'll be a big change in the weather with that change?

QiWiz
12-28-2014, 18:11
The earlier you leave, the more you may encounter cold and snowy or freezing rain conditions. No problem if you are prepared for it, but be prepared. This is also true if you leave in early April, BTW. Don't underestimate the potential for weather challenges, especially in the Smokies.

Slo-go'en
12-28-2014, 18:20
I count 15 planning to leave on March 1st on Trailjournals. Figure at least that many, maybe many more. Then it's just a couple a day until about the middle of March where the numbers start to pick up again. There's just a few planning to start a little earlier at the end of February.

If you want to avoid the crowds, start a few days after the 1st but since everyone is moving pretty slow at the start, expect it to be busy regardless. The weather is a crap shot that time of year.

Pajj
12-28-2014, 20:53
I plan on leaving March 1, I'm sure it will be cold but the anticipation is killing me

Vet4thruhike
12-28-2014, 21:05
I count 15 planning to leave on March 1st on Trailjournals. Figure at least that many, maybe many more. Then it's just a couple a day until about the middle of March where the numbers start to pick up again. There's just a few planning to start a little earlier at the end of February.

If you want to avoid the crowds, start a few days after the 1st but since everyone is moving pretty slow at the start, expect it to be busy regardless. The weather is a crap shot that time of year.
thanks for the awesome advice slo_go'en, never really thought about looking at trail journal for that kinda info

The earlier you leave, the more you may encounter cold and snowy or freezing rain conditions. No problem if you are prepared for it, but be prepared. This is also true if you leave in early April, BTW. Don't underestimate the potential for weather challenges, especially in the Smokies.
thats kinda what i figured the deal was and i plan on being ready for some pretty nasty weather for the early spring.

Bushyeye
12-28-2014, 21:35
I'm leaving March 6th

Many Moons
12-28-2014, 22:06
Go for it!

Old Hiker
12-29-2014, 01:13
29 Feb 2016. Does that count?

takethisbread
12-29-2014, 13:42
I echo what QiWiz wrote. Lots of people leave march 1. Remember that your chances to finish improve the later u start. Rain, Snow and cold weather drive people off the trail.

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Cleaner
12-29-2014, 14:50
29322 @ Jerry's Cabin shelter,26 miles north of Hot Springs NC, 3-28-1329323 Cutting some hazard trees and firewood for hikers there.:sun

Jeff
12-29-2014, 14:57

Trailjournals is a great resource, but only a fraction of thruhikers have a online journal on TJ.

As a rule, weekend starts are much more common than mid-week. Believe that is a result of friends and family having time off to transport loved ones to the trailhead.

map man
12-29-2014, 16:55
Since you are thinking of moving your start date up to "avoid big crowds" here is some stuff to think about.

1) The window for big crowds of NOBOs starting at Springer runs from the last 3 or 4 days of February through the first week of April (both March 1st and 11th are in that window).

2) As Jeff mentions, more people start on weekends than weekdays and this year March 1 is a Sunday (March 11 is a Wednesday).

3) Every year an inordinate number of NOBO thrus are attracted to March 1, March 15 and April 1 as start dates.

So if you elect to start March 1 this year you will hit the big crowds trifecta.

As for weather, though you cannot predict how long your thru-hike will take (if you are able to finish) if it does take you 5ish or 6ish months to thru-hike like a lot of completers do, every week you move up your hike into early March you will be trading away a late Summer week of weather in Maine for a week of late Winter weather in the southern Appalachians. That's not a trade I would make, since you asked our advice.

illabelle
12-29-2014, 18:09
In recent weeks there have been big discussions on WB about the negative impact of thru-hikers on the AT, especially in the first few weeks where the crowds are larger than the privies and shelters and campsites were designed to accommodate. Please at least give some thought to a flip-flop or other alternate itinerary, where you start somewhere besides Springer. There are many options, with advantages and disadvantages to each. Check out this page (http://appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start) for more info.

12-29-2014, 20:10
I plan on leaving Feb. 28, Saturday. I plan on spending the night in or near springer mt shelter. I figure about 10 will come up the approach trail, about 5-10 will go backwards 1 mile to Springer and some will move forward 2 ez miles to Stover Creek shelter which is super nice. Saturday is travel for me and I will just want to unwind from all the hustle. NOW if the weather forecast is for a major winter storm, I can easily move start date forward as I have no reservations to meet. Yes there most likely will be more winter weather and I hope to use this time to hang and heal till they pass. Helen, Hiawassee, neels gap, Winding stair gap to Franklin, many places to stay while in Georgia to get out of bad weather. With smart phones and all the word moves quickly about bad weather coming. The Smokies are the real challenge, A good weather window is needed to get through without getting caught with the newfound gap rd closed or single digit temps. The worst weather I ever hiked in was in April in the Smokies in a 21 inch snow storm. My wife broke her leg coming down solid ice from Clingmans dome last year. It took 6 weeks before she got back on the trail, but she did get back on the trail. I plan on having slip on ice spikie gizmos.

Vet4thruhike
12-30-2014, 00:20
thanks for all the advise guys. I kinda got my answer when the opportunity came up for me to work a week right before the hike and get a little extra $$$ put away just in case so the 11th it will be

evyck da fleet
12-30-2014, 01:05
+1 to the weather being a crap shoot. And when it does hit, bubbles will form around towns as hikers wait out the March storms. I've never understood starting earlier to try and avoid the bubble because as the number of hikers increases so does the likelihood of starting in a bubble from late Feb to early-mid April. I preferred to start later around mid to late April when the weather is better at the start when you are spending most of the day sitting around before you get your trail legs. There are other ways to avoid the bubble by not camping or eating meals at shelters.

That being said, start whenever its best for you to start. Its a popular trail and you will see people everyday. You'll probably only meet a handful of people that rub you the wrong way over the six months. It happens.

Del Q
12-30-2014, 21:15
I am a section hiker, have completed Franklin to Franconia Notch. Friend and I are starting on March 14th at Springer and heading to Franklin. Going 2 weeks earlier to accommodate his schedule. Expecting COLD and snow. From my experience further North, people who start earlier miss a lot of the socialization especially if moving at a good clip. Can get lonely in VA as people thin out and spread out. If I were doing the AT as a thru hike I would start in April.