PDA

View Full Version : What kind of footwear does everyone use?

OverTheHills
12-28-2014, 18:23
Hey guys, I'm preparing for a 2016 NoBo Thru that'll start somewhere between the mid-February to early March window. I've been on several week to three week long trips and have always just used my chaco sandals with socks. My question is, would this be okay for a thru-hike or should I look elsewhere? On top of that, if I am to look elsewhere, what has worked for all of you? Right now, my experience with boots is extremely limited, so all opinions are welcome. Thanks, guys.

Slo-go'en
12-28-2014, 18:56
Sandals in Feb or March? I don't think so. Get some real boots. Gortex lined is a good choice for that time of year. You'll be hiking in mud and snow and slush and ice and rain often near or below freezing. If you don't keep your feet happy, which means warm and dry, your not going far.

If you want to hike in sandals, wait until at least until May to start.

Traveler
12-29-2014, 08:05
I tend to agree with boots if your start is in early spring/late winter. You can change them out for hiking shoes when it warms a bit. As for sandals on the trail, there are some sections that they will probably work well on, especially when the weather warms, but I cannot imagine using them in PA for instance, so hiking shoes/boots will be nice to have periodically.

takethisbread
12-29-2014, 13:38
Wear trail runners and start in April.

Until u hike a 100 mile section in sandals would I consider that a serious choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED-DOG
12-29-2014, 16:36
I have always used Trail Runners right now I am using a pair Salomon Ultra GTX, in the warmer summer months I have used Teva Sandals which is great for hiking in only in SUMMER.

OverTheHills
12-29-2014, 19:48
I was planning on getting boots for winter and only hiking in sandals when weather would permit. My question is, more specifically, what kind of boots? Brand, model, etc? I've never really dealt with boots before. I have used a pair of trail runners when the colder months have come in, but I figured that something that is made for durability and (of course) water proof would suit me more wholly than just the trail-runners and Chacos. However, I have no idea where to begin to look for quality boots. I've never really needed to look for them before.

bigcranky
12-29-2014, 20:40
I've seen people hiking in Chacos in the winter. Get a pair of warm socks and maybe some Gortex socks to go on top (or neoprene.) You have a couple of months of cold wet weather to figure it out :)

If you decide on shoes, I like Goretex trail runners in the winter, then mesh trail runners in warm weather, though you'll switch back to Chacos probably. You might take a look at Salomon, Inov-8, that sort of thing.

garyp
12-29-2014, 21:26
I use the Saloman Quest GTX4 but I also hike normally in the high sierra so a heavier pack is normal due to our bear can rules. I have bad feet so a better arch and ankle support are better for me.

Dochartaigh
12-29-2014, 23:22
Just bought a pair of Brooke Cascadias (think the 7's - on sale because the 8's are out now). Never worn trail runners hiking before but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Firefighter503
12-29-2014, 23:39
I made the switch from Salomon Quest GTX4s to trail runners a couple of years ago, and will never go back to boots. I have worn Brooks Cascadia 7's for the past couple of years and just broke in a pair of Cascadia 8's this past weekend.

Poedog
12-30-2014, 00:53
X2 on Cascadia. My pair of 8's made it from NY to Springer on my thru this year with barely one hole starting on the sides.

Slo-go'en
12-30-2014, 11:33
Everyone has their own brand/style preference. There are a daunting number of brands and types of boots to chose from. Popular brands are Salomon, Merrell, Scarpa, Vasque and a few others. Personally, I find Scarpa boots fit my feet the best. Be ready for sticker shock since hiking boots/shoes are insanely expensive for what you get.

The best thing to do is go to an REI or good outdoor shop and try on different boots/shoes until you find ones which fit well. Unfortunately, no matter how good a shoe feels in the store, you have no idea how well it work on the trail until you get out there. But as a young person, you have a lot of leeway as you probably haven't trashed your feet as much as us older folks have.

LibertyBell
12-30-2014, 14:40
I am also planning a NOBO 2016 thru, md Feb or Mar 1, and I am leaning toward the Keen Durand as they have a wider toe box than the Merrell's. I like the mid height boot. I am an avid hiker now and have done several backpacking trips in Merrell's but have found my feet have changed and the boots are now a little tight. If you haven't checked out the HOKA trail shoe it might be worth a look. I run in them now an my feet are always happy. They have a very good sole on the shoe and are a good hiker in warm weather.

Connie
12-30-2014, 15:25
I have worn Salomon's I like.

I think this time, either Merrill Women's Siren Sport 2 or Five Ten Guide Tennie.

I always choose a low-cut hiking shoe. I look for lateral stability, narrow heel, low volume hiking shoe.

These are shoe terminology. Feet are different. It helps to know the right description of footwear.

I also look at the front end of the hiking shoe: is it quite straight from the ball of the foot. This does not force the big toe over to the side. This is better for foot placement.

In the store, I pull my heel back and lace up. I try on both shoes. I walk around. I stand on an incline provided. If not provided, I ask if I can stand on the curb outside the store. I need to find out if my foot slides foreward inside the shoe. I need to know if my toes will hit the end of the shoe, or, rub inside. I do not rely on a "shoe stretcher". For one thing, some synthetic materials will not stretch.

gravitino
12-30-2014, 15:25
Good video here, recommending the Brooks Cascadia 9 trail runners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anDsTytUEGk

mml373
06-27-2015, 21:44
Yup...ordered Cascadia 10s today, and hope I can find them on closeout a year from now so I can order multiple pairs for my thru hike. Gave up on waterproof/heavy hiking boots/shoes...I just can't find a reason for them except for maybe wet (snowy) trails, and they hurt my feet.

namaste7
06-27-2015, 22:30
I have hiked in five finger shoes for over 6 years and find they do very well. Five finger's has just come out with a water proof one that i will be trying this year in the snow as I make my way SOBO. They also make five finger nuwool socks to go with them. Just another option for you if boots don't work.

v1k1ng1001
06-28-2015, 10:07
I'm loving the new class of "speed hiking" or "fast hiking" shoes that fits in between hiking shoes and trail runners. I've been hiking in Salomon synapse access shoes for two months and they're great except for two things...in wet conditions they could use a better outsole and they don't clear water/dry very fast. Great shoe for drier climates but not so hot in rain.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

brother brzo
07-27-2015, 10:01
ive used chacos both summerand winter
the only real problmem i've had w/ mine is that if their not properly adjusted, you may feel like you are slipping around in your shoes on steep/rocky parts of the trail (that's when i go bare foot haha)

changed
07-29-2015, 07:57
Salomon Speedcross 3, forever, I think.

I tried Salewa approach shoes and they were a disaster.

NightCreature0
07-29-2015, 11:55
I tried the Salomon XA pro 3d and hated them. They seemed to squeeze my feet too much, and I don't have a wide foot. Switched over to the Brooks Cascadia's 8's and love them. I bought a pair of 9's on clearance for when the 8's wear out.

Berserker
07-29-2015, 12:28
Haven't seen them mentioned yet so I'll give the New Balance 1210s some love. They were designed for ultra-marathoners, and have a slightly enlarged toe box area that's really nice when the feet swell up.

Berserker
07-29-2015, 12:34
I have hiked in five finger shoes for over 6 years and find they do very well.
I've done day hiking for a few years in these, and while I think they're awesome in that capacity there's a reason that not many backpackers use them. It takes a while to get the feet adjusted to them, and then adding pack weight can cause further fatigue. One also has to be careful walking in them as one misstep can lead to a pretty nasty bruise on the sole of the foot, or a sprained or broken toe. Don't get me wrong I love these shoes, but they aren't really suitable for actual backpacking in my opinion (except for with a rare few who can actually walk barefoot all day with a pack on).

ChrisJackson
07-29-2015, 14:25
Currently in the New Balance M890BB4. Really no complaints. Found them on sale for $60. Have about 250 miles on them.

shelb
07-30-2015, 23:09
Trail Runners!

shelb
07-30-2015, 23:10
Trail Runners! -Salomon....

Sarcasm the elf
07-30-2015, 23:15
La Sportiva wildcats
Scarpa Kailash GTX
Salewa Pro Gaiter Boots
Sorel Conquests pac boots

That about covers it...

Mountain Wildman
07-30-2015, 23:25
La Sportiva wildcats
Asolo Fugitive GTX

Cobble
07-31-2015, 00:18
Merrell Moab Ventilators are my current choice.($80-$100) 800-1200 miles per pair is what I've seen and heard from others. Frankly I have recently moved away from low hiking boots to trail runners.

I liked that my hiking boots lasted a LONG time so while I LOVE quick drying I value long lasting.(and low cost)

Another Kevin
07-31-2015, 15:04
I tried Salewa approach shoes and they were a disaster.

Just curious: is it just that you were using approach shoes for trail hiking, or are the Salewa faulty for some reason? I have some trips that I'm thinking about where I'll probably need more grip than my trail runners offer - there's some really slippery, slabby gneiss in some pf the places that I want to go. I'm thinking of bringing approach shoes for those pitches, and so I look for comments from people who hike in them.

Another Kevin
07-31-2015, 15:10
La Sportiva wildcats
Scarpa Kailash GTX
Salewa Pro Gaiter Boots

That about covers it...

Similar approach to Elf's, but only three levels:

New Balance MT610 trail runners (with green Superfeet)
Timberland Hyperion boots, with or without OR gaiters.
Sorel Caribou pac boots.

(Oh, and Crocs or watershoes for in camp and at stream crossings)

Trail runners and traction gear do not mix.

I'm starting to ruminate about approach shoes, because there are a couple of hikes I'm starting to fantasize about that probably need more grip than trail runners provide. Slabby ascents on slippery gneiss.

cbr6fs
07-31-2015, 18:27
Used to wear salomons, now moved over to Hoka one one mafeta speeds

md1486
09-10-2015, 14:33
Have new Vasque St-Elias (little over 80 miles in them), no break-in, waterproof and really comfortable but little narrow for the toes.

Hoofit
09-10-2015, 14:48
I am also planning a NOBO 2016 thru, md Feb or Mar 1, and I am leaning toward the Keen Durand as they have a wider toe box than the Merrell's. I like the mid height boot. I am an avid hiker now and have done several backpacking trips in Merrell's but have found my feet have changed and the boots are now a little tight. If you haven't checked out the HOKA trail shoe it might be worth a look. I run in them now an my feet are always happy. They have a very good sole on the shoe and are a good hiker in warm weather.

Keen gets my vote too, nice wide toe box fits my rather flat feet! Good insoles, such as Superfeet, sure help too.

Traveler
09-10-2015, 14:55
Merrill Moab wp hiking shoes w/low REI leaf/duff gaiters - light hiking use in cool weather
Salomon X Ultra Mid 2 GTX Backpacking boot w/OR gore-tex low calf gaiters - most three season conditions
Asolo TPS 520 Backpacking boot w/OR full lower leg gore-tex gaiters - winter conditions with snowshoes or crampons

Odd Man Out
09-10-2015, 17:11
Oboz Sawtooth hiking shoes. Low top nor waterproof.

Mr Liberty
09-10-2015, 17:52
La Sportiva Wildcat. They stock them at a some REI stores if you want to try them on.
I loved them when I hiked in the Sangre de Cristos in New Mexico, and I'm sure they'll work just about anywhere else. They ventilate reasonably well, dry out fairly quickly, and have a good sole that flexes enough (but not too much) that also gets good traction on just about every surface. Highly recommended, if they fit your feet.

MAKE SURE YOUR SHOES FIT PROPERLY. YOUR FEET ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR BODY WHILE BACKPACKING.
http://www.sportiva.com/resources/images/Product_Images/Magic_Zoom/Footwear/MZ_WildcatTurtle_536.jpg

hinktech
09-23-2015, 20:52
I've had a couple versions of the Merrell bare ascend trail runners and love them.

MuddyWaters
09-23-2015, 21:05
Shoes are very particular.
Since Inov8 changed their awesome shoes to focus on making cheap poorly designed crap a few yrs ago, I still havent found any I like .
Once you know what the perfect shoe is, nothing else ever compares again.

PcolaDawg
09-23-2015, 22:12
Okay, a little late but I'll jump in. Bought a pair of Vasque Breeze 2.0 GTX boots in March and have since put over 250 miles on them, over 50 miles on the AT. Not only did I not get blisters, I didn't even get hot spots. I've never had boots work that well that quick. The socks I use with them are Wigwam Merino Comfort Hiker 2 Pack sock.

Been backpacking since the age of 5 and this is by far the best boot/sock combo I've ever had. I am in love.

Hummy585
10-11-2015, 17:05
I have several pairs of Inov8's. My favs are the Roclite 400 GTX and then the Roclite 286 GTX. Since I only use them for the trail, I think I'm good for another year or two. I don't think they are made anymore so I'm not sure what I will do when they're worn out...

Kulliman
10-11-2015, 18:23
I love my Brook Cascadia 9 trail runners. They are so light and comfy! I am not a AT thru-hike graduate, but I have backpacked and hiked in all weather with these. I just purchased 2 pairs of the Brooks Cascadia 10s and they are close to the same feel as the 9s. I also use the green Superfeet instead of the factory insoles.

Check out this Survey done in 2014 about what shoes people on the AT were wearing http://appalachiantrials.com/footwear-thru-hikers-appalachian-trail/

Kulliman
10-11-2015, 18:33
Almost forgot, wear Darn Tough micro-crew wool socks with these shoes. Haven't had a single blister!

750ml
10-24-2015, 22:27
Keen shoes and Smart Wool socks have always treated me well!

GolfHiker
10-25-2015, 16:16
Kulliman: I'm seriously considering the Brooks Cascadia 10's. I also use Green Superfeet in my hiking shoes (currently Merrill Moab Ventilators). All of my running shoes are 9.5, so do I need to size up on the new TRs, and assuming so, 10 or 10.5. What is your experience with Brooks?

Connie
10-29-2015, 00:16
I like non-waterproof breatheable trail shoes, and, slip-on self-draining water shoes for water-crossings and for the campsite.

I use Good Feet MAX inside the trail shoes, because I put in long miles over rocky ground.

The 3 Beez
10-29-2015, 03:39
A friend of mine recommended Merrill to me and that is all I have ever worn for hiking. Their customer support is the best! I also took advice and bought boots at least a half size to a full size bigger than normal to make room for foot swelling an expansion. Try this...hope it helps.

Connie
11-08-2015, 08:24
I found Merrill Proterra Vim Sport Hiking Shoe "on sale". It has the good forefoot shape I mentioned.

I didn't say, I find a "good fit" and I look for sales. I also like the more conservative colors for footwear.

These have mesh for good draining and walk-dry, or, for drying overnight for spring and early summer hiking.

No Gortex, Gortex clogs. I would rather rinse out socks and have another dry pair of socks for the next morning. I also carry another pair of clean sleeping socks that help keep the expensive down sleep system clean.

Brup Bup
01-13-2016, 02:58
Chaos! Good for at least the whole trail before a resole and they're great for helping/preventing plantar fasciitis!

Traveler
01-13-2016, 07:32
Chaos! Good for at least the whole trail before a resole and they're great for helping/preventing plantar fasciitis!

I don't believe I have heard of a boot or shoe making the full thru hike in a season. Even the Limmer boots seem to need a resoling around 1800 miles. I would think sandals are less robust.

Hess86NJ
02-21-2016, 01:23
La Sportiva wildcats
Scarpa Kailash GTX
Salewa Pro Gaiter Boots

That about covers it...

How did you like the La Sportive Wildcats? I just bought them for my thru.... going to test them out. They felt good in the store.

Venchka
02-21-2016, 08:03
I bought a pair of La Sportiva Ultra Raptors this week. Be careful if you buy them online. They run small. I had to go up to a size 10 from my usual size 9 1/2. I will give them a workout in Colorado this summer. If they work for me, I will buy more before they are changed or discontinued.
I have 3 pairs of Merrill Radius shoes as backup.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Huli
02-24-2016, 12:51
Altra trail shoes. Currently Superior 2.0, Lone Peak 2.5 are in the mail.

Adriana
02-24-2016, 13:27
This is an excellent article on what AT hikers wore in 2015, both at the beginning and at the end of their hikes. Hile 50% started their hikes with boots, the number dropped to 28% at the end with 60% using trail runners. Beware of Cascadias, apparently they were universally disliked due to quality issues.

http://appalachiantrials.com/footwear-2015-thru-hikers-wore-appalachian-trail/

blue indian
02-24-2016, 14:04
brooks cascadias paired with smartwool PhD socks.

blue indian
02-24-2016, 14:05
This is an excellent article on what AT hikers wore in 2015, both at the beginning and at the end of their hikes. Hile 50% started their hikes with boots, the number dropped to 28% at the end with 60% using trail runners. Beware of Cascadias, apparently they were universally disliked due to quality issues.

http://appalachiantrials.com/footwear-2015-thru-hikers-wore-appalachian-trail/

Yes, the last generation of cascadias has a design flaw. Mine have 500 + miles on mine and somehow show no signs of wear. I did hear that Brooks has addressed the problem for the new generation of cascadias

DuneElliot
02-24-2016, 14:09
I'm kind of an oddball. I hike in light-weight LE duty boots...they are close to the same weight as trail runners but provide more foot support and cushioning. I never do them all the way up for the ankle support as I don't feel I need it. They just work for me. I come from a LE background and wore them all day, every day and my feet never hurt if I was standing or walking on concrete all day.