PDA

View Full Version : Overthinking Trekking Poles

gbolt
12-28-2014, 18:55
Received Leki Carbonlite poles for Christmas and now have two stupid questions that I can't help but ask?

1. On the leaf basket is a cut out circle or c shaped empty space that for the life of me, I cannot figure it's purpose. If I were to guess, it may be a slot for a guy line if the poles are used as a temporary support for a tarp. Anyone know why the baskets have this cutout?

2. When using the poles as porch mode supports, does the handle go down so the tip can slide through the D-ring or hole of the tarp? Or does the handle go up and the tip is pushed into the ground? (Personally, I have always been a handle up for wrapping the guy line around while the tip is pushed into the ground, but the poles where cheap so I didn't care if they got damaged).

Thanks for any input, as petty as these questions may be.

Dochartaigh
12-28-2014, 19:11
1.) The thinner part of the shaft of the other pole should be able to click into the cutout - and vice versus. This is how many skiing poles work at least - doesn't seem to work as well on the two pairs of trekking poles I've owned for some reason.

Starchild
12-28-2014, 19:29
1.) The thinner part of the shaft of the other pole should be able to click into the cutout - and vice versus. This is how many skiing poles work at least - doesn't seem to work as well on the two pairs of trekking poles I've owned for some reason.

The expand on this, it is to lock the 2 poles together to make them easier to carry, pr perhasp keep them as one when transporting.

As for #2, it depends on the setup, use what works, some are tips up some are tips down.

garlic08
12-28-2014, 19:42
One thing to consider with handles down is critters chewing off the straps to get the salt from your sweat.

Slo-go'en
12-28-2014, 23:11
Having the "point up" makes it much easier to hold the trap and attach a guy line. It's a bit harder to get a stable attachment to the handle. The only disadvantage of "handle down" would be the possibility Garlic mentioned, maybe having the straps chewed on. Better those then your boots I suppose :)

Shae
12-29-2014, 16:42
+1 on the issue of critter chewing. I have Black Diamonds with cork handles and had them chewed up a bit when using them on my Tarptent Notch while hiking the Long Trail.