PDA

View Full Version : The countdown begins...

soumodeler
12-28-2014, 19:26
The 100 day countdown starts today!

I will be telling family and friends Thursday about my hike. I tell my boss Friday morning. That should be a fun conversation...

I have most of my gear laid out on the floor right now going over it again (I forget how many times this makes :-?) and researching clothing options. Still need to purchase cold weather clothing like a down jacket, gloves, etc. What my gear looks like so far:

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=19945

I am at 12.5lbs base weight right now, but am thinking I need to add one more insulation layer like a fleece jacket as I get cold easily. That would still keep me under 14lbs. Also need to pick up some dry bags for the camp clothes and my other small items to keep them organized.

Old Hiker
12-28-2014, 19:30
You realize 100 days = day after tomorrow, right?

Good luck !

Keeping a journal online somewhere?

Treehugger
12-28-2014, 19:36
Holy cow! It is 97 days for me! Geez, I hadn't realized! BTW, your gear list looks good to me. I have to go thru mine again too. I have just about everything I can think of and more. Good luck telling your boss! You will have butterflies before because it's scary, and butterflies after because you will be so psyched!! Concentrate on the after and it will be no problem!!

soumodeler
12-28-2014, 19:43
You realize 100 days = day after tomorrow, right?

Keeping a journal online somewhere?

It depends on when you are counting to ;). I start April 7, which is 100 days from today, Dec 28.

Link to my journal is at2015.blogspot.com (http://at2015.blogspot.com)

LostBoy86
12-28-2014, 20:37
awesome!... I'm super excited. Leaving around the same time

Bigfoot86
12-29-2014, 22:21
Have fun y'all I'm not starting till April 1 2016 or 2017. Best of wishes from me and wb.

RainbowDash
12-30-2014, 00:18
http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

I'm just going to leave this here....

Poedog
12-30-2014, 00:21
After completing a SOBO thru this year, I would urge anyone who wants any smidgen of peace to think twice about starting nobo during the peak start times. The trail seemed crowded to me the entire time, I can't imagine the chaos that must come with leaving Springer in April.

Praha4
12-30-2014, 00:47
ditto. I'm looking for a different trail to hike next year, or doing some kind of wierd AT flip flop hike. Anything to avoid the mob and inevitable noravirus outbreak that hits the NoBo mob. Thru hiking the AT has become too trendy, resulting in the crowded trail you observed.

After completing a SOBO thru this year, I would urge anyone who wants any smidgen of peace to think twice about starting nobo during the peak start times. The trail seemed crowded to me the entire time, I can't imagine the chaos that must come with leaving Springer in April.

takethisbread
12-30-2014, 03:48

I thruhiked nobo at peak time. Crowds were a problem in Georgia. That's it. By the time you get into North Carolina it's thinned out. By the time you get past Hot Springs, it's totally normal. You can get 8-10 thruhikers at a shelter, or you could get 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Hiker
12-30-2014, 08:43
It depends on when you are counting to ;). I start April 7, which is 100 days from today, Dec 28.

Link to my journal is at2015.blogspot.com (http://at2015.blogspot.com)

Noooooooooooooooooo - you think you have 100 days, but I guarantee you, you will wake up and realize it starts the day after tomorrow. :eek:

RED-DOG
12-30-2014, 12:52
I think i would change out the Sawyer Squeeze to the Regular sawyer, i used the squeeze a few times and i have had some issues with mine, I think the regular sawyer is the better filter.

Personnaly i use the Katahdan Hiker pro.

Lighter doesn't always mean BETTER.

No gaiters of any kind?

soumodeler
12-30-2014, 15:27
RED-DOG, not sure if you are talking about the Sawyer mini compared to the Squeeze, or the squeeze to another, bigger model that I don't know about. I have both the mini and the squeeze, and decided to take the squeeze for the faster flow rates.

As for gaiters, I have had them in the past and never used them. I know I will get more stuff in my trail runners but I just don't like gaiters.

Skye15
12-30-2014, 16:40
Ahhh! It's 92 days for me!! I leave April 1st (the irony suits me). I have most of my gear, still in need of winter clothes as well. I've been getting hung up on the best midlayer options, so if anyone has any suggestions...

I'll see ya on the trail!

DavidNH
12-30-2014, 16:41
do let us know how the conversation with your boss goes...

dangerdave
12-30-2014, 17:03
With one day of work left after 27.5 years, I'm really looking forward to this coming year.

As a Flipper, I'm leaving May 1st from Harpers Ferry, WV = 122 days!

hikehunter
12-30-2014, 18:21
:D Today is Dec. 30th. My plane lands in Atlanta on the 29th of Jan. 2015.
My shuttle will get me to Springer the morning of the 30th Jan.

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Holly poop!!! Batman I am running out of time..... :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Can you say "overly excited" I knew you could.

I have gone over my gear 3 times in the last 3 days......
each time I find something I want to leave behind and something I want to bring.
My wife said to put the pack down and walk away for a few days and not think about it.....

waiting sucks! :rolleyes:

Vet4thruhike
12-31-2014, 14:36
I got 70 days from my March 11 start!!!

Deadeye
12-31-2014, 21:50
Do enjoy the conversation with the boss... what's he gonna do? Fire you!? 90 days notice is more than enough.

soumodeler
01-01-2015, 11:36
Family and friends have been told. Amazing, positive reactions from friends and relatives.

However, my mom is not thrilled. We will have to work on that one. :) She thinks I should get a job with benefits and a 401k, etc.

The only benefits I foresee in my near future are vistas, sunrises, adventures, and amazing people!

fou
01-01-2015, 23:16
104 days before our April 14 start at Atkins, VA. :)

soumodeler
01-05-2015, 15:53
Well the boss now knows...

No leave of absence, but the possibility of a job when I return still exists, dependant on work volume.

Regardless, 92 days...