PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from TN locals?

saddleback2012
12-28-2014, 23:24
My friend and I are planning a short hike from the southernmost of the Smokey's at fontana dam to clingman's dome. I figured out that the hike will be around 32 miles. Or maybe we'd push further to Newfound gap at around 40 miles. I was thinking that leg could be done in 4 days. Is that reasonable or preposterous? My only real experience doing high peaks was in the Adirondacks, we did 11 of the 13 highest peaks and we could only go about 5 miles or less per day but it was also far more demanding than the smokies. Also, we were thinking we'd try to go in the last week of march. We're from Michigan so we're used to the cold, but is it crazy to go that early in the season?

TNhiker
12-29-2014, 00:01
last week of march can potentially be packed with thru hikers and spring breakers.......

also, dont underestimate the difficulty of the smokies........

the first day coming outta fontana is going to be a climb to get up on the ridge..........

and a few good climbs in between thunderhead and silers bald............

i think it could be done in 4 days---however only you know your hiking skills.............

HooKooDooKu
12-29-2014, 00:57
Keep in mind that the road from New Found Gap to Clingman's Dome is closed (to vehicular traffic) until March 28th. Keep that in mind as you plan vehicle drop offs and/or shuttles.

MuddyWaters
12-29-2014, 02:37
Lots of people do that in 2 days, weather permitting.
Most could do it in 3
4 is getting very slow

Only you can answer what YOU are capable of

Snow is a wildcard that early. Have traction devices.

Easiest way is park at fontana, get shuttled to top, and start downhill.
Dont underestimate section from derricks knob to rockytop. It doesnt look like much on profile, but its likely toughest part of AT in the park.

illabelle
12-29-2014, 05:59
We went from Clingman's downhill to Fontana in mid-October of 2012. Yes, downhill is the lazy way to do this section, but it still counts! It was chilly and damp with fog and blowing clouds when we started, but much more pleasant as we descended. A few days later, the Smokies had a record October snowfall and southbounders were getting rescued. So, yes, do be prepared for winter weather. And yes, Clingman's Dome Road will be closed in March, so plan to start/end at Newfound Gap (if there's snow/ice, Newfound Gap will be closed too).
Also, be advised that you must reserve space at each shelter/campsite in this section, pay $4/night, and obtain a permit. The availability of shelter space may influence how many miles you must plan to cover each day. Space can only be reserved 30 days in advance, and might be hard to get in periods of high demand. Thru-hikers are not required to reserve space (but still pay a fee), so you could find a shelter full of thru-hikers when you thought you had space. They are supposed to yield space to those with reservations, but that doesn't always happen in practice. Bring a tent just in case.
Finally, :welcome to WhiteBlaze! Enjoy your hike!

saddleback2012
12-29-2014, 07:34
Ok. Thanks for all the advice! So would April be a smarter time to go? Honestly, my biggest desire would be for the smallest amount of traffic. Also, where is the nearest I can park to clingman's dome or newfound gap?

daddytwosticks
12-29-2014, 08:17
I'm not a Tn. local, but I did hike from Clingman's south to the Dam back over Labor Day weekend, 2013. Took three days. The stretch between Derrick Knob shelter and Mollies' Ridge shelter was a butt kicker for me. Was fog/hazed in most of the time so views were limited. :)

illabelle
12-29-2014, 10:41
There is a large parking lot at Clingman's Dome and another at Newfound Gap. There are also two or three pull-off parking spots at points along Clingman's Dome Road.
There's a balance between light traffic and good weather. To get the lightest traffic, you'd have to hike this section in the dead of winter - more challenging than most people can handle. I'd avoid winter. Because of their elevation, the Smokies provide a little relief from the summertime heat, but it can still be warmer than you'd like. I'd avoid most of summer. Springtime, especially March and April, is when the Smokies are full of thru-hikers. By May and June, the crowds should have thinned some. Even better, if your schedule allows, is late August, September, or October.

Slo-go'en
12-29-2014, 13:52
Early to mid May would be a good time, mid week. By May the bulk of the thru hikers have passed through, the summer crowds haven't started yet and there are always more people on the weekends. The weather will be reasonably mild and all the wild flowers will still be in bloom.

Three days should be enough. Starting at Clingmans would eliminate some less then inspiring trail and going south to Fontana would eliminate having to carry a pack full of food up the hill.

MuddyWaters
12-29-2014, 17:45
Ok. Thanks for all the advice! So would April be a smarter time to go? Honestly, my biggest desire would be for the smallest amount of traffic. Also, where is the nearest I can park to clingman's dome or newfound gap?

April, will be sardine-city in the shelters. Unless you like spooning with strangers, 14 people crammed into a 12 person shelter, ..then No.

Mid to late May after the bulk of thru hikers have passed, but before school is out would be best. Or September after labor day, but before the leaves turn and leaf peepers show up.

saddleback2012
12-31-2014, 00:01
Great. Thanks. I guess I am just surprised that there are so many through hikers! Do a lot of people do the whole AT?

MuddyWaters
12-31-2014, 00:13
Great. Thanks. I guess I am just surprised that there are so many through hikers! Do a lot of people do the whole AT?

A few dozen thrus per day start in march-early april. Shelters in gsmnp sleep about 12. It doesnt take much to overwhelm them. If its cold, everybody squeezes in.

Maybe 25% drop out in GA, another 25% by harpers ferry. Anywhere from 20 - 30% may finish, depending on stats you believe.

HooKooDooKu
01-01-2015, 00:33
saddleback2012,

To hike the AT in GSMNP, you have to buy a permit from the National Park Service (http://smokiespermits.nps.gov/). Because you are NOT a thru hiker, you will need to obtain a General Backpacking permit which requires that that you get a reservation for each shelter you plan to stay at.

So you are going to have to plan out your hike ahead of time. Reservations open 30 days before the start of your hike. So if you start your hike on March 29th, you can try to obtain reservations for your entire trip starting on Feb 27th.

Something else to consider... the permit web site indicates that Fontana Dam is currently closed to vehicle traffic until April. That means you will have to add 1.2 miles to the first day of your hike to get from the Fontana Dam Parking Lot to the start of the AT at the Park Boundary.