PDA

View Full Version : Lighter down jacket

squeezebox
12-29-2014, 08:02
My current LL Bean down jacket weighs 1 1/2 lbs + . Great for winter around town,walks in the park etc. But it's too much for a May 1 start at Harpers Ferry. I'ld appreciate your opinion for a jacket under 1 lb. Budget considerations please.

saltysack
12-29-2014, 08:54
Montpellier ul down parka.....very light & warm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
12-29-2014, 08:54
Damn spell correct...montbell

TomN
12-29-2014, 09:05
Just got one of these for Xmas, price for the weight seemed pretty good.
http://www.amazon.com/MontBell-UL-Down-Jacket-Gunmetal/dp/B005TI3NA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419858125&sr=8-1&keywords=ULTRA+LIGHT+DOWN+JACKET

dmax
12-29-2014, 09:44
With a budget in mind I'd check out Borah Gear for a jacket or vest.

Connie
12-29-2014, 09:49
Borah Gear has pulled down their PayPal buttons. Trip to Nepal this Jan - March.

gwb
12-29-2014, 10:20
I agree about the Montbell. I have the UL version without a hood. Not the cheapest but it should last a long time. I think that needs to be accounted for when considering "cost". My wife has a Golite down jacket bought at the same time, about 3 years ago, my Montbell has held up much better and has been used much more. Search around. Consider used. Montbell usually has a clearance closet. Don't be picky about color.

meat803
12-29-2014, 10:25
Could you give a price range you would be willing to spend? Most online retailers have occasional 20% off that can sweeten the deal on a 200$ jacket.

bigcranky
12-29-2014, 10:34
The Montbell UL Down Inner is lightweight and warm. It's plenty for a May 1 start at Harper's Ferry, and can be your only warm layer all the way to Maine. My wife wore hers on the Long Trail this summer as her only warm layer, and it was perfect around camp in the morning and as a pillow at night. It doesn't weigh much more than a light fleece zip tee, but is much warmer.

saltysack
12-29-2014, 10:40
Love the hood on my ul down parka...lots of xtra warmth..

plherrin
12-29-2014, 10:50
Love the hood on my ul down parka...lots of xtra warmth...

I've seen a few persons recommend the Montbell UL Down without a hood, is there any reason that's been the preference. On Amazon there's one with a hood (the one quoted above) that's not too far off price wise and it seems like having a hood would be helpful. I've not hiked enough to know, just lived in NYC and appreciated having a hood on me when I want to put it up/down. Any reason for the no-hood leaning? Or just coincidence. Would this jacket with a rain shell, thermal mid-layer, and undershirt be enough for most cold temps on the AT even for a March start? I'm slowing buying gear and thought I may invest in a winter coat and the cost on this one looks much better than others I've seen.

saltysack
12-29-2014, 10:58
I've seen a few persons recommend the Montbell UL Down without a hood, is there any reason that's been the preference. On Amazon there's one with a hood (the one quoted above) that's not too far off price wise and it seems like having a hood would be helpful. I've not hiked enough to know, just lived in NYC and appreciated having a hood on me when I want to put it up/down. Any reason for the no-hood leaning? Or just coincidence. Would this jacket with a rain shell, thermal mid-layer, and undershirt be enough for most cold temps on the AT even for a March start? I'm slowing buying gear and thought I may invest in a winter coat and the cost on this one looks much better than others I've seen.

I've only hiked on southern AT..I've used the ul down parka w cap 4 and thin OR helium rain shell plenty warm for me...lowest I've been is near 10 degrees. I only use at camp or sleeping...I like the way it fits with athletic cut not to baggy...

Rick Hancock
12-29-2014, 11:37
I've used the LL Bean Primaloft Packaway Jacket for a couple of years. Not down but very light, warm, packable, weather resistant, not sure about the weight but web site says 60 grams. I've used it as an outer layer in temps in the high 20's. Nice with a shell. Some colors are on sale for $79. Free shipping with Bean charge card. I also use the LL Bean Ultra light 850 Down Jacket. Very light, well made, last years model on sell. The cut for both jackets is active/slim but I wear an XLG with room to move. Both are nice go to jackets for back country travel. I also looked at the Montbell UL Down Jacket at Amazon as mentioned above. Seems like a very nice well made jacket 800 fill instead of 850. For my money I'd purchase the Primaloft if the main goal is to have a warm durable jacket for back packing.

Thinspace
12-29-2014, 13:49
Another option is the Rab Xenon X synthetic parka. Weighs in at 13.1 oz, packs up smalll in it's own pocket and the review below claimed it warmer than a similar down jacket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gulz1Masi7U

Thinspace
12-29-2014, 13:50
Another option is the Rab Xenon X synthetic parka. Weighs in at 13.1 oz, packs up smalll in it's own pocket and the review below claimed it warmer than a similar down jacket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gulz1Masi7U

And you can find it on sale for around $150 with free shipping if you look around

Unitic
12-29-2014, 15:31
Eddie Bauer First Ascent jackets are a great value if you catch 'em on sale

Miner
12-29-2014, 15:57
My Montbell Extremely UL down jacket has been going strong since 2008 and has been on both the PCT and AT. It's still almost like new and it's hard to beat the weight. Expensive down items like this are best shopped for 6 months or more in advance as you can eventually find them on a good sale or clearance.

Coffee
12-29-2014, 16:04
Another vote for the Montbell UL down. I have the parka. The small weight penalty for the hood is worthwhile. I use this piece in camp and during breaks and sometimes as part of my sleep system. I've never had to wash it since I never wear it while hiking. After two years it is as good as new.

Dogwood
12-29-2014, 16:39
No one is saying it but I will. IMO, a down jacket will very likely see very limited use with that May 1 start date in HF particularly going forward into the late spring(late May) and into summer NOBO on the AT. It will very likely become a very limited usage piece in a very limited time frame. I simply can't see you employing a down or synthetic jacket frequently enough to justify purchasing one based on your hike for the beginning of the hike especially when a lower budget is a strong consideration and other more versatile multi layering options, quite possibly less expensive overall, are available.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/harpers-ferry-wv/25425/month/2175592?monyr=5/01/2014#

Grinder
12-29-2014, 17:14
I second the Montbell UL Down Inner . My acid test for best gear is to watch the used sales listings. This item is "never" sold used and asking price is near retail when it is.

Five Tango
12-29-2014, 18:39
I recently purchased a lightweight down jacket from REI for $99.It weighs in at 10.5 ounces.Coupled with my Marmot precip it will serve my purpose as it fits under the shell just fine.

Miner
12-29-2014, 18:47
Dogwood does have a point. A May 1st start in the Mid Atlantic on the AT isn't likely to have a lot of need for a down jacket for warmth unless you are planning on finishing in September or later. Though in my case, my down jacket or vest also services as the soft part of my pillow every night so I would normally carry my a down vest (4.3oz) anyway for a similar trip. My head is worth it!

Kerosene
12-29-2014, 21:38
If you really want to carry a down jacket then I'll add another vote for the Montbell Ex Light Down Jacket (http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=2001&p_id=2301344&gen_cd=1) (900 fill; 5.6 oz for a men's medium).

However, I've found my 100-weight Polarfleece at 9 ounces to be a bit more flexible. I actually carried both for my late September section hike from Rangeley to Katahdin and only used the down jacket twice before sending it home from Monson. Yes, it was nice to have when the temp touched freezing those two times, but it was more of a luxury item than I really needed as layering of a long-sleeve Arc'teryx "flannel" T under the microfleece under my rain jacket worked just fine.

I agree with Dogwood regarding your May 1 start -- you just won't be using it very often. Yes, it's only 6 ounces (with stuff sack) and doesn't take up much space, but I don't find it as flexible as my fleece for some reason. If it was waterproof like my Black Rock Gear HadronS (http://www.blackrockgear.com/hadrons.html) beanie, then I might rely on it a bit more, but of course that would reduce it's breathability and comfort range. Of course, YMMV.

squeezebox
12-29-2014, 23:31
I tend to run cold, and am dreadfully afraid of hypothermia. So even if it's just a security blanket I think I'll bring it. I think it's okay for a newbie to bring some just in case stuff, to calm their fears, until they learn enough to know the minimum of what they really need. It's not fun being out in the woods if you're really insecure.

Dogwood
12-30-2014, 07:03
I tend to run cold, and am dreadfully afraid of hypothermia. So even if it's just a security blanket I think I'll bring it. I think it's okay for a newbie to bring some just in case stuff, to calm their fears, until they learn enough to know the minimum of what they really need. It's not fun being out in the woods if you're really insecure.

Bring a down jacket if you feel you must but regarding hypothermia fears did you look closely at the May weather data link for HF? specifically the day time high avg of 70* and night time low avg of 46*(when you'll be in a sleeping bag and tent) for about the first 10 days of May where it then continues creeping UPWARDS increasingly getting warmer?
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/har...nyr=5/01/2014# (http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/harpers-ferry-wv/25425/month/2175592?monyr=5/01/2014#)
Unless, you have a particular medical issue that relates to a higher hypothermia susceptibilty that weather data in itself is not indicative of a high probabilty for hypothermia. Take into account you'll have other gear at your disposal like: other apparel(rain jacket, shirts, etc), tent or other shelter, sleeping bag/quilt, etc. You'll also be on the AT during high usage in Maryland and PA during May where you'll have AT shelters at your disposal. If you ponder the entire situation, as you gave it, and cummulatively what you have as resources hypothermia risk assessment is rather quite low. Enjoy your hike.

squeezebox
12-30-2014, 08:15
Thanks Dogwood! I feel better. Bury fears and they grow, better to face them. you're right.

bigcranky
12-30-2014, 09:12
I'll just say again that I was happy with my very light down jacket on our LT hike this summer, with average temps about like those listed above - 70s during the day and 50s at night, sometimes the high 40s. I didn't bring any other insulation clothing layer - I had a dry shirt to change into at the end of the day, which was fine most evenings, then if it cooled off I would put on the down jacket, then use it for a pillow at night (very comfy.) Most mornings the down jacket was just the ticket when getting out of my quilt (and on the coldest nights it was useful inside the quilt.)

I'm generally not cold very easily, and could probably have been happy with a light fleece pullover, but the down jacket was a nice luxury.

Coffee
12-30-2014, 09:20
I appreciated having my Montbell UL Down parka when starting northbound from Rockfish Gap on April 15. There were some cold nights while in SNP. The first night low was probably around 20. But nights warmed up quite a bit north of the park and there was limited need for the down layer north of Harpers Ferry after April 22. I would think that a down layer is probably not necessary for a May 1 NOBO start from HF. The only question I would have is whether a down layer would be useful in July in NH and Maine? A down layer is actually on my (very early and tentative) packing list for an AT SOBO thru hike starting around July 1, 2016 or 2017 because I thought that it might be useful in ME/NH even in mid summer.

saltysack
12-30-2014, 09:37
I appreciated having my Montbell UL Down parka when starting northbound from Rockfish Gap on April 15. There were some cold nights while in SNP. The first night low was probably around 20. But nights warmed up quite a bit north of the park and there was limited need for the down layer north of Harpers Ferry after April 22. I would think that a down layer is probably not necessary for a May 1 NOBO start from HF. The only question I would have is whether a down layer would be useful in July in NH and Maine? A down layer is actually on my (very early and tentative) packing list for an AT SOBO thru hike starting around July 1, 2016 or 2017 because I thought that it might be useful in ME/NH even in mid summer.

Agree...as said previously doubles a a good pillow filler inside a stuff sack...

Bags4266
12-30-2014, 10:07
You want cheap, try Costco. They have been pumping out all types of down garments lately. Won't be 900 or even 800 down, but will get the job done

Coffee
12-30-2014, 10:13
Agree...as said previously doubles a a good pillow filler inside a stuff sack...

I've done this a few times. Wrapped the down parka around my Exped UL pillow. Nicer surface than directly against the pillow. I'm not sure I'd carry the parka for that purpose only, however, if I thought that conditions were going to be too warm for it to be useful as insulation.

fastfoxengineering
12-30-2014, 11:15
Just picked up a Mont bell Ex Light Down Anorak as my "go to" always in my pack down piece. After only wearing it around the house I really like it. If I need more warmth cause it's going to be that much colder, I'm going to add a synthetic vest rather than a heavier down puffy. but that's just me

squeezebox
01-07-2015, 23:55
Again I run cold so I think I will bring a light down jacket. The Montbell UL sounds like a good choice, $175 w/ hood, fill wt 2.5 oz, total wt 9 oz. But they also have the Alpine light, $200 w/ hood, fill wt 4.3 oz, total wt. 13 oz. that should be warmer. A good chance I'll leave the heavy fleece jacket and pants at home at 13 oz each. Also this will not be my one and only hike so I'm also thinking about what else it be be used for.
opinions?

hikehunter
01-08-2015, 00:09
Sams Club had some very light "Gerry" 650 down jacket/shirts for $27.99 just before Christmas they may still have some.
I got a 800 fill "Woolworth" shirts from my mother-in law this Christmas. I think she said it was about $40. It is just over 23 oz.

saltysack
01-08-2015, 07:50
Again I run cold so I think I will bring a light down jacket. The Montbell UL sounds like a good choice, $175 w/ hood, fill wt 2.5 oz, total wt 9 oz. But they also have the Alpine light, $200 w/ hood, fill wt 4.3 oz, total wt. 13 oz. that should be warmer. A good chance I'll leave the heavy fleece jacket and pants at home at 13 oz each. Also this will not be my one and only hike so I'm also thinking about what else it be be used for.
opinions?

+1 ul down parka is my favorite piece...alpine light lil more than I need and doesn't pack as small for southern AT...I've been out around 10 deg w the ul and cap 4 hoody...great warm lt combo...