PDA

View Full Version : Even if you're just out for a day hike...

Boo8meR
12-29-2014, 10:17
Be prepared! We went down to Springer over the weekend (wife and I) to do an overnight to Woody Gap. Ran into some people at Three Forks who were trying to do the BMT loop from the parking lot and had missed the turn on the AT to get back to the parking lot. They didn't have warm clothes, gear, or anything apart from a 50 Greatest Day Hikes in GA book and a few bottles of water. They'd followed white diamonds to Three Forks and it was almost dark. Fortunately we ran into them and handled the situation. We got a fire going and then gave them some food and warmer clothes before I headed off down FSR58 looking for cell reception to get a message out to the search party. Their help arrived around 10:30 that evening and all was well. We came off the trail early after the incident and headed home yesterday after a night in a hotel in NW GA.

The moral of the story is always be prepared when you're hiking. I'd hate to think what might have happened that night if we hadn't met them on the trail. Emergency blankets, water tabs, and fire starting supplies are too lightweight to leave at home on any trip.

I understand they just made a simple mistake; but, that's often what causes life and death situations in the wilderness. We were glad to have been there and able to help; but, you know what they say about an ounce of prevention... Stack the odds in your favor.

illabelle
12-29-2014, 10:34
This is good advice. I have often been guilty of going out on a dayhike with little or nothing but a car key and maybe a cell phone. If it's a short hike, I don't even carry water. I need to fix myself a small light kit that fits in a pocket or something. A wrong turn is a simple mistake, but like you said, ...

Old Hiker
12-29-2014, 10:51
Many people take to heart the advice: "It's only walkin' " in my opinion. It's just a walk in the woods - nothing to worry about, right?

Even on short, 5 mile loops here in FL, I take gear as if I'm on a 2 day or more hike: water, lighters, snacks, etc.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Hope they learned a valuable lesson and I hope they are continuing to say "Thank you" in their prayers for people like you, Boo.

StubbleJumper
12-29-2014, 11:48
Without going overboard, I almost never day-hike without the 10 essentials. To facilitate this, I keep a one-gallon zip-lock bag containing a lighter, small Swiss Army Knife, compass, map, large trash bag, small first aid kit, small roll of surveyors tape, 8 or 10 feet of masons twine and my head-lamp. The whole thing weighs perhaps 1.5 pounds. I throw this into my day-pack, along with a litre of water, some food, and usually a jacket/rain gear. I can be trail-ready in about 5-10 minutes with a range of lightweight essential gear in my day-pack that will address 95% of the situations that I am likely to encounter.

baumfamily
12-29-2014, 12:22
Lucky those people ran into you!

Havana
12-29-2014, 12:30
Very lucky folks. I'm borderline paranoid on this subject, especially when alone. I have one of those pocket survival kits and a space blanket that can both fit in a pocket and I never got into the woods, even for the shortest duration, without them, some water and a snack. As you say, a few ounces can save one's life.

No Directions
12-29-2014, 12:30
I hiked that loop on Friday and saw a family of 4 doing the same. Wonder if it could have been them.

I carry a gps watch if I am on an unfamiliar trail. Especially if it's a loop where I might have some intersections that I need to make sure not to miss. It has proven to be an important piece of equipment.

Kevin108
12-29-2014, 13:55
This is good advice. I have often been guilty of going out on a dayhike with little or nothing but a car key and maybe a cell phone. If it's a short hike, I don't even carry water. I need to fix myself a small light kit that fits in a pocket or something. A wrong turn is a simple mistake, but like you said, ...

Look at a Fatboy Versipack. Just enough room for flashlight, multitool, emergency blanket, first aid, fire starting, and lunch. Carry your water bottle or affix it to the pack. It's quite comfortable.

Connie
12-29-2014, 14:14
I have been emphasizing providing for overnight, if turned around, if fog (in the mountains clouds are fog).

This has been my motivation for my keeping a website.

In fact, this has been my motivation for finding more ways to have a lightweight or UL backpack, so it is no "big deal" to carry gear and food for overnight or more.

It is "why" I have camera bags and lumbar packs on my website.

It also motivated me to "take on" the 10 essential "items" idea that never was: it was always the 10 essentials - the systems approach. I ought to know. I participated in making the 10 essentials list. My website has a full page of infornation on each of the 10 essentials. The entire website is about that.

I enjoy trying the several ways and means to achieve a small pack for a walk, especially so, in a place unfamiliar.

I actually got the onX Hunt app to see private and public land with or without a GPS. It works handily with a bluetooth Dual xGPS150A with my iPod Touch.

I like walking in the beautiful landscape, every chance I get. I like fine art landscape photography. If no camera, I enjoy the experience of a place best on foot.

Boo8meR
12-29-2014, 14:54
I hiked that loop on Friday and saw a family of 4 doing the same. Wonder if it could have been them.

I carry a gps watch if I am on an unfamiliar trail. Especially if it's a loop where I might have some intersections that I need to make sure not to miss. It has proven to be an important piece of equipment.

It was a middle aged woman along with a young teenage boy and a dog. They started up Springer first and stayed on the BMT once they got back around to the north side of the parking lot rather than head south on the AT to the parking lot.

They were very appreciative of our help. I have received heart-felt thank you's from one of the party as well as the boy's mother (who I sent the message to, letting her know her son was alright, our location, and a request to contact the authorities so they could retrieve them).

Although I'm not 'glad' it happened, my wife has just started joining me in the woods and it certainly serves as a real world example of what can happen if you venture out unprepared. All is well, now, but it was definitely an eye-opening experience.

illabelle
12-29-2014, 17:57
Look at a Fatboy Versipack. Just enough room for flashlight, multitool, emergency blanket, first aid, fire starting, and lunch. Carry your water bottle or affix it to the pack. It's quite comfortable.

Thanks, will give it a look. :)

Damn Yankee
12-29-2014, 20:24
I never go on any hike without enough water and food for at least overnight. I also carry some sort of emergency shelter and at least a warm, light weight jacket, compass and some sort of topo. map.

hikehunter
12-29-2014, 20:36
I have a several "go bags" for different types of trips....
There is an emergency blanket and poncho in everyone of them; along with a few other items....:cool::-?:cool:

3_dogs
12-30-2014, 13:52
Living in West Virginia, most trails have a water source nearby. I always take my water filter on dayhikes. It's not much weight in the daypack. I (we) don't run out of water.

Maui Rhino
12-30-2014, 14:34
A couple years ago, I did an overnighter just to test the survival gear I always carry. I wrote about my experience and the lessons learned in a local hunting forum. It dawned on me one day that I'd been carrying a space blanket and other items for emergencies for years, and felt it was time to do some practice overnighting with them in a safe environment.

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/post1317.html#p1317

Connie
12-30-2014, 14:47
I have a backpack all packed in my vehicle.

It started when Montana law still required that, plus forest fire fighting equipment in your vehicle. I asked about it. I found out people also carried a shovel, a "tow rope" plus warm gear and food and water, if "caught in a snowbank".

Never happened to me.

I carry this stuff, anyway. No forest fire fighting equipment.