PDA

View Full Version : Favorite piece of gear?

TheErked1
12-29-2014, 19:02
I am starting to plan my first thru-hike and am looking for input about your favorite piece of gear, whether it be clothing, tent, shoes, pack, or stove. Just looking for favorites and reasons why to jump start my search for equipment. Thanks!

Damn Yankee
12-29-2014, 20:12
My down puffer. Great for early spring or fall. Other than that, my French press. Got to have good coffee

fastfoxengineering
12-29-2014, 20:33
As much as I like fleece beanies. I love my smart wool cuffed beanie

takethisbread
12-29-2014, 20:35
I am starting to plan my first thru-hike and am looking for input about your favorite piece of gear, whether it be clothing, tent, shoes, pack, or stove. Just looking for favorites and reasons why to jump start my search for equipment. Thanks!

I suggest you do as much overnight backpacking as possible before investing too much in gear. If you have something to work with. Everyone is different. So what I like (lightweight) might not be good who likes to eat well or sleeps cold.

That said: (aside from my cell phone)
- my zlite sleeping pad. I have used a billion blow up pads and they were great (when they didn't pop) but the zlite was simple and comfortable enough and I didn't have to blow it up. So I felt good about coming in after dark to camp or getting up early at camp as it was quick and quiet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kayak karl
12-29-2014, 21:41
at night my favorite is my hammock, hiking my shoes and raining my Packa :)

TheErked1
12-29-2014, 22:04
at night my favorite is my hammock, hiking my shoes and raining my Packa :)

What are the specifics of those items? Any particular brands or makes?

Feral Bill
12-29-2014, 22:10
Svea stove, a classic. Mine is 45 years old and still roaring. Everything else is just stuff.

kayak karl
12-29-2014, 22:21
a Packa is a Packa. my favorite hammock is a DIY. shoes Merrell. what season are you asking about. want specific gear, ask a specific question :)

Sarcasm the elf
12-29-2014, 23:35
Svea stove, a classic. Mine is 45 years old and still roaring. Everything else is just stuff.

I'm honestly tempted to buy a Svea for winter use. Never had one before, but I made itmall the way to Eagle scout with a Coleman Peak 1...that thing was scary after my patrol abused it too many times...

Sarcasm the elf
12-29-2014, 23:38
Lets see, my ULA pack, my Leatherman Micra and my microspikes are probably my favorites.

I like my Tarptent double rainbow, but if I had to buy it again, it'd be very tempted to try a Lightheart Gear SoLong tent.

Connie
12-30-2014, 01:05
Vargo 750 Sierra titanium. I can use it for any cooking method, with zelph alcohol stoves for hot or simmer plus Suluk46 titanium windscreen I intend to purchase, or, use it on a zelph folding wood stove fire.

I need no additional serving dish or bowl, or, cup or mug: I take my meals one item at a time.

Now, I have a Snow Peak spork and hybrid spatula: the handle on the spatula may be removed and added to the length of the handle on the spork for "reach" for FBC freezer bag cooking.

The mesh from purchasing vegetables is cut up for a "scrubbie".

I have never had a better "kitchen" for backpacking purposes.

fastfoxengineering
12-30-2014, 01:43
Vargo 750 Sierra titanium. I can use it for any cooking method, with zelph alcohol stoves for hot or simmer plus Suluk46 titanium windscreen I intend to purchase, or, use it on a zelph folding wood stove fire.

I need no additional serving dish or bowl, or, cup or mug: I take my meals one item at a time.

Now, I have a Snow Peak spork and hybrid spatula: the handle on the spatula may be removed and added to the length of the handle on the spork for "reach" for FBC freezer bag cooking.

The mesh from purchasing vegetables is cut up for a "scrubbie".

I have never had a better "kitchen" for backpacking purposes.

Hey Connie,

How do you like your snow peak titanium spork? After using mine for two years, I just switched to a long lexan spoon. Cheaper, easier to clean (stuff doesn't stick as much), great for soups due to heat transfer properties, and well, I just never liked the feel of that titanium spoon in my mouth. Furthermore, I never felt the need for the prongs of the spork.

just curious.. it is only a spork

evyck da fleet
12-30-2014, 02:40
Salomon trailrunners and wool socks. As long as my feet are happy I'm happy. OK, really its my camera phone. I can call home every 5 days or so and it has all the pictures I've taken over the last three years.

There are pros and cons to all my gear but I chose the pieces based on my personal preference after reading reviews, going to stores to check them out and determining what is best for the hikes I am planning to do.

Derf
12-30-2014, 10:19
Got to say that mine is my pee-bottle I hate getting up in the middle of the night when it is 20 degrees out.

Connie
12-30-2014, 10:51
Did you have a RURP? It is a Realized Ultimate Reality Piton I wore on my mountaineering jacket, as a zipper pull.

It is a status symbol. I think the Sporks are a hiker status symbol.

I have had a Snow Peak Short Spork from the time I first saw it at REI. It has a better texture than some. This new-to-me Snow Peak Spork and Hybrid Spatula has more polish. I like it, but I like the Snow Peak Short Spork.

The "tines" are not a fork. These little not sharp "tines" help me get food chunks out of a serving dish.

My serving dish is my Vargo 750 Sierra titanium, or, a FBC freezer bag cooking 1-quart freezer bag.

There is a highly polished spork for sale, I found, in Europe. It has an excellent spoon shape. I put up a "post" about it, here, at White Blaze. I will look around to add an "edit".

Here it is in the "am I turning into a gram weenie" thread. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/107646-Am-I-turning-into-a-gram-weenie?highlight=Spork

I like my Snow Peak, but I like a lot of things Snow Peak.

edit: Every Lexan spoon I have had "snaps" broken in cold weather, just the time I want hot or warm food most.

Cedar Tree
12-30-2014, 10:56
a Packa is a Packa.

Thanks for clearing that up KK.
CT

garlic08
12-30-2014, 14:27
My favorite piece of gear is usually whatever I bought or made last. For a while it was my Pepsi can stove, then my Gossamer Gear pack, then my Tarptent Contrail, then my enLightened Equipment Quilt, then my New Balance trail runners...pretty much everything I carry has been a favorite at some point.

For a while, it was even my PCT bandanna with a list of trail towns and mileage and "HIKER TO TOWN" printed on one side and "HIKER TO TRAIL" printed on the other--multi-use hitchhiking/resupply planning tool, given out at the kick-off party. I still pack that bandanna from 2004.

OCDave
12-30-2014, 15:19
Wilderness Logics LiteOwl. This hammock has consistently provided me my most comfortable night's sleep; in the woods or otherwise. From a cost perspective, the hammock itself it is no more than many inflatable pads however, to maximize comfort requires an investment in a set of quilts. Eventually the cost of accessories can get dizzying. I am approaching $3K invested in hammocks and accessories.

Good Luck

RED-DOG
12-30-2014, 15:48
Can't really say since i completely reoutfitted myself a few months ago, i haven't used my new set up enough to really know what my favorite piece of gear is, However in 2011 i bought a "Mountain Hardwear Direttissima 46" and used it on my 2012 Thru-hike and loved it so far to date it's the best back pack i have ever bought, it holds a load well and very comfortable.

if i had to pick a item out of my new set up i would have to choose the stove " JetBoil SOL-TI ".

Poppins
12-31-2014, 22:19
My favorite gear is my New Balance Minimus 1010v2. They changed how I hike and backpack. Ive never had a more comfortable pair of hiking shoes and switching from heavy boots, I now never get blisters and save tons of energy. Favorite. Period.

Wise Old Owl
12-31-2014, 22:25
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>knowledge<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

yerbyray
12-31-2014, 22:31
Got to say that mine is my pee-bottle I hate getting up in the middle of the night when it is 20 degrees out.

Amen!!! Best two ounces I have carried as it has kept me warm and all snuggly on the coldest of nights. There is nothing more dreadful than having to climb out of a very warm sleeping bag, slip on cold boots, cold clothes if you must, to whiz in the woods.

Ya'll get a little older and you will change your perspective on a good ole pee bottle.

jimyjam
01-01-2015, 02:08
I have a few favorites....1st my hammock set up. I get a much better nights sleep. 2nd Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed 800 fill Dridown 3 season sleeping bag and 3rd is my Osprey Exos 58 backpack! This backpack is lightweight and can handle a good load. The breathable back is a huge plus too!

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

MuddyWaters
01-01-2015, 08:14
I love all my dead geese.

Traveler
01-01-2015, 08:25
As much as I didn't think I would, I am really liking the Therm a Rest Z Seat my wife got me.

Lone Wolf
01-01-2015, 08:27
I love all my dead geese.

enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqIL-7njHFY

MuddyWaters
01-01-2015, 08:35
enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqIL-7njHFY

Thats not my down. Mines cruelty free. Mine goes to disney world , then they quickly wring its neck on the way to the airport.

rocketsocks
01-01-2015, 08:42
Pit Zips
ipod
long handled spoon
secret decoder ring

rocketsocks
01-01-2015, 08:48
Pit Zips
ipod
long handled spoon
secret decoder ring
Oh yeah, and them little things on the end of your shoelaces...makes it so much easier to lace up!

Traveler
01-01-2015, 09:08
Oh yeah, and them little things on the end of your shoelaces...makes it so much easier to lace up!

Those are called "Aglets".

Not sure why I remembered that, but after 60 years on the planet I was happy anything floated into frontal lobe...

gbolt
01-01-2015, 12:39
My favorite are any of the Dutch Bling that make hammock or tarp/tent set up quick and easy. Well thought out, easy to use, lightweight and always reasonably priced. Weight and time are my two biggest concerns, so the best peice of gear will take that into consideration.

Malto
01-01-2015, 13:05
Since it's winter time...... For less than $8 you can buy a box of disposable food service gloves from amazon. I wear them over my glove liners (actually fingerless sun gloves) and under my insulated mittens. At a gram weight it adds quite a bit of band for the gram or dollar.

for other seasons it may be plastic grocery bags. Free and with a hundred uses it may just be the most versatile piece of gear.

ny breakfast
01-08-2015, 23:33
ziplock bag

4shot
01-09-2015, 22:24
the game changer for me was discovering Exped sleeping mats. They are heavy (relatively speaking) but before trying one out 10 - 15 years ago, I had almost given up on sleeping outdoors because it was getting very uncomfortable to sleep on the ground on a foam pad, thermarest, and the other backpacking alternatives available at that time. The only exception was car camping trips when I could take and use one of those big inflatable mattresses. With one of these Exped mats, I could get a good night's sleep AND carry the thing in my pack. Carried it on my thru hike and would not have even attempted a thru hike with out it. The hammock thing was just in its earliest stages then and I was unaware of them as an option for backpacking. In fact i saw my first hammock on my hike.

I now have a hammock and sleep well in it. But the exped piece of kit kept me in the game while the hammock wasn't even an alternative.

Double Wide
01-21-2015, 12:03
I have one luxury item that I absolutely love--my fleece-lined stuff sack I got at REI. I use it for my clothes, but at night I turn it inside out and shove 'em back in and it makes a great pillow. I'm pretty high on my Sawyer mini, too, especially after lugging a Katadyn Vario pump filter around for far too long.

q-tip
01-21-2015, 18:01
Mont Bell down camp jacket, toasty. Neatest piece of gear, my Soto stove 3.3 oz. Just love that little thing...

swisscross
01-21-2015, 18:23
Western Mountaineering Megalite (large enough for my wide self, super soft and warmer than stated rating)
Snow Peak Giga Power Titanium (a true work horse, as light or lighter than most canister stoves and just works)
ULA Circuit (fits, light enough, more than enough space and durable)
ZPacks food bag (perfect size for my needs and super light)

The Clydesdale
01-21-2015, 18:31
My Big Agnes sleeping pad, my Patagonia shoes, and Vitamin I.

Trailweaver
01-21-2015, 23:52
I like to cook, and like cooking while backpacking a lot - love the challenge of fixing something good to eat while also light weight. Therefore, I love my stove because I can control the flame well (simmer) and also reach a full rolling boil. Just a simple thing, but it makes my life better on the trail.

fastfoxengineering
01-22-2015, 03:19
Lately my caldera cone ti tri with inferno, in sh, my wood stove. I'm also a big fan of my modified Mora 2/0 knife. Homemade handle,homemade kydex sheath for a neck setup. I guess after trying the latest and greatest I'm starting to become more of a naturalist and diy'er. Seriously though, cooking over a wood fire and utilizing things you made by hand....priceless. Doing small projects motivates me to make more of my own gear.

Nooga
01-23-2015, 17:47

I hiked with a guy in 12 that carried a Svea. It was always a conversation piece when he fired it up.

jimmyjam
01-23-2015, 18:43
favorite gear- either my wind shirt or parcho.