PDA

View Full Version : What Trail guides do you carry?

Doctari
10-25-2005, 11:35
What do you do? Are guides even needed, or are they just a luxury? Can you do the AT by just following the blazes & signs? Is there “too much information” in the available guides? Or is there not enough? Would it be better to list all the bumps, rocks & roots along the way, or just tell me where the: water, food & shelter are?
I carry what I have compiled information from the Data book & Wingfoot’s book & the guides from the ATC into the info that I know I need based on the section hikes I have done. And that has served my well over the years, even though some of my data/info is at least 6 years old. All “I need to Know” is: shelters (even though I don’t use them), water, campsites, town services (hostels, food, re-supply, outfitters). But I learned this from about 250 miles of sectioning, and have left out stuff I wish I had known. I now have it “down to a science” & the last 150 or so have gone well.

Doctari.

Lone Wolf
10-25-2005, 11:41
Just a Data book.

the goat
10-25-2005, 11:52
ditto, LW. data book's all i need.

Sly
10-25-2005, 11:59
I carried WF's, but since I've hiked, I agree with LW all you really need is the Databook and perhaps maps for northern NE.

That said, if I were going out for the 1st time, I want as much info as possible and use a format similar to WF's new editions (data, plus shelter and town info) which I believe the new Companion is going to have and the maps.

rickb
10-25-2005, 12:06
I checked "Other".

Which for me is just Maps.

But thats as a weekender. If I am on a part of the AT where I don't know the towns, I'll check things out on line before heading out.

flyfisher
10-25-2005, 12:08
The "other" is a Mapdana. Great little source of data.

The water sources are better identified in Wingfoot's book and I often copy pages out of it and carry them. Sometimes I just carry the book inside the pack and look at it at night.

Sometimes I have missed a hostel when using just the Mapdana. I missed Wood's Hole that way. I never knew it was there until I read Model T's book. I almost missed Kincora because it is listed as being at US321 instead of Dennis Cove road.

Footslogger
10-25-2005, 12:53
I ripped the pages out of Wingfoot's Handbook prior to my thru in 2003 and broke them down into packets that generally covered about 2 weeks of trail. Also carried maps from time to time but not throughout the hike. Came in handy having the town info and post office telephone numbers.

'Slogger

Miss Janet
10-25-2005, 13:45
I was very excited to hear that ALDHA has combined the Data Book info with the updated Companion info for the new 2006 Companion. I think it will be great and a good alternative to Wingfoots guide for those who want more information.

Sly
10-25-2005, 13:55
I was very excited to hear that ALDHA has combined the Data Book info with the updated Companion info for the new 2006 Companion. I think it will be great and a good alternative to Wingfoots guide for those who want more information.

Waiting on the lawsuit. ;)

gravityman
10-25-2005, 14:38
We carried the companion and Wingfoot's book. We used the data section from wingfoot's since it have almost everything from the Data Book, and a few extra things. There were a small number of water sources that were in the Data Book and not in Wing's, so you could even carry both of those if you want.

For town info, it was GREAT to have both. Sometimes there would be a map in one that wasn't in the other, or a phone number in one that you really need, but not in the other. It's not 100% necissary, but it sure was nice when you wanted to dream about food!

We would ABSOLUTELY carry maps if we were to hike again. They are totally worth it. We had a bad experience on Big Butt trying to get Skillet and Bottle off the moutain when skillet was SUPER sick and SUPER dehydrated. We didn't actually need the maps that day, but I sure can imagine that if we were in a different section and Ms Janet wasn't slacking us, we would have been screwed. Check out our trailjournal and the Tennessee Walker's trailjournal if you want to read about it...

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=95558

CynJ
10-25-2005, 14:52
I like having maps (I'm such a geek that way) and the AT Guide book seems helpful. I bought the Data book too. I've heard more negative things about WF's book then positive so I haven't spent the $ on it.

I intend to lug the map sections I need, and photocopy/shrink the appropriate guidebook and data book pages and laminate them. I can fit many pages onto one 8.5x11 page and only have to take the info that I need for my section. I don't destroy my guides that way.

D'Artagnan
10-25-2005, 14:53
If I'm going out for a few days, I'll run copies of the relevant pages from the Companion and Data Book, do a "cut and paste" job deleting extraneous information, and run the compiled front-and-back copies through a laminating machine to make them waterproof. May seem like overkill, but there've been times when that extra ounce of prevention was well worth a pound of cure. I also like to carry the ATC Map so I can make sure I don't miss an off-trail water source and track my mileage. Works for me. YMMV. ;)

SGT Rock
11-20-2005, 11:25
Maps, Mapdanna, and print outs of the AT Database.

Kerosene
11-20-2005, 18:35
I bring the relevant maps for the section I'm hiking, mainly for emergencies but also to help orient myself when the AT is winding all over the place.

Like CynJ, I reduce the relevant guidebook pages to fit 8 on each side of an 8.5x11" piece of paper, but I don't bother to laminate. I keep them folded in a plastic ziplock and stored in one of my pockets.

JojoSmiley
11-20-2005, 18:42
I use databook pages and companion pages. Less weight is better for me. If I need to look at a map I just peek over someone's shoulder at camp.

Bjorkin
11-20-2005, 19:58
Since all my hiking is off the AT and my thru is several years off, I've never learned about the different books, guides and maps. Could someone list the differences if there are only a few or a good link as I'm sure this has been covered?

SGT Rock
11-20-2005, 20:07
The AT databook weighs about 5 ounces and lists some major points along the trail without detail. Printed by the ATC

The Thru-Hiker's Companion lists only shelter and town data. The intent is to use it in conjunction with the databook. It is put together by ALDHA but is printed and sold by the ATC, so the ATC gets a good cut or all of the money for it. I'm not sure which.

The Mapdanna is a bandanna with a large overview map and the Databook info printed on the bandanna. Anti-Gravity Gear makes these and contributes to the ATC for each one sold.

The Thru-Hiker's handbook combines data directly out of the ATC Databook and some info that the writer (WingFoot) adds. I think that the funds mainly support the Center for Appalachian Trail Studioes and the Website TrailPlace.com

Then there are the section guides you can get from the ATC. These are very detailed and some of the data is even very redundant from one chapter to the next. These books can be pretty darn big and have a lot more milage landmarks and data about things along the trail. IMO they are overkill. They are printed and sold by the ATC.

Then there is the AT Database that we are mucking through right now. It is a word document that would allow you to print and add/delete data as you want to construct your own trail guide. Info in it is from the Companion, The Databook, and a variety of other sources. Right now it isn't up, but the intent is to make it available and somehow also support the ATC without undercutting the Databook sales.

Bjorkin
11-20-2005, 20:29
Thanks Sarge! Just what I needed. Now I have a new trail category to devour.

neo
11-20-2005, 22:00
i am going to carry a mapdana next year:cool: neo

MedicineMan
11-20-2005, 22:43
I read about the section in the guide books.
I print out an elevation profile via Maptech.
I add notes (water,bail-out points,proximity to roads,shelters,etc) to the profile printed out from all the sources everyone has listed above and sometimes laminate it or at least zip lock it.
I carry a map of the area sometimes (the sections in our area that we've done 6 or more times I usually dont) but always the Mapdanna.
When its a scout hike or family hike sometimes we take a 'chunk' out of the raised topographical relief maps, this gives the young ones an excellent overview of where they are on the trail and where they are in relation to home.

TooTall
11-20-2005, 23:37
Then there is the AT Database that we are mucking through right now. It is a word document that would allow you to print and add/delete data as you want to construct your own trail guide. Info in it is from the Companion, The Databook, and a variety of other sources. Right now it isn't up, but the intent is to make it available and somehow also support the ATC without undercutting the Databook sales.

What about an AT Wiki for that AT Database?

Too Tall Paul

TooTall
11-20-2005, 23:54
I like all these sources:

The Maps have elevation profiles you can't find anywhere else. The profiles help me plan my hike each morning. You can also get mileage and shelter and spring locations from the Maps. Trail relocations since the last printing can make the Maps inaccurate.

The Databook has the most updated and most accurate trail mileage. There might be some water source listed in the databook but they aren't described. The mileage in the Databook is for each section rather than mileage from Katahdin or Springer (wish they would fix that). This can be a problem when you have to do some arithmetic at the end of the day when you're exhausted. If I had to take only one of these four guides I'd take the Databook.

The Thru-Hiker's Handbook (Wingfoot's book) has good information on Trail Towns, water sources, shelters and hostels. Gives directions to springs and such. It has more history of the trail than the ALDHA Thru-Hiker's companion which I like. This book also as milage from Springer and Katahdin which makes it easier to plan a days hike. What I dislike about this book is the heavy paper it's printed on and the book is bound so you have to tear out pages from the book for a section hike.

The ALDHA Thru-Hikers Companion has good information on Trail Towns and trail information. It didn't incorporate mileage but the 2006 edition will (could be in sections like the databook or total mileage like the Handbook). This guide has better town information that the Handbook. It is spiral bound so it's easier to get specific pages out of the Companion but the pages aren't as dense with text as the Handbook.

I have all four sources and carry pages from the Databook, Handbook and Companion along with the map for my section hikes. My preference for the sources would be Databook, Maps, Handbook and Companion (in that order).

Too Tall Paul

Forget about the ATC Guide Books that can accompany the maps. Too detailed and too heavy.

Kerosene
11-21-2005, 10:19
When its a scout hike or family hike sometimes we take a 'chunk' out of the raised topographical relief maps, this gives the young ones an excellent overview of where they are on the trail and where they are in relation to home.Great idea! Where do you obtain the 3D relief maps?

Bjorkin
11-21-2005, 15:25
Thanks for your detailed description as well Too Tall Paul. With all the similar names I had a hard time trying to separate them in my head. I guess they make much better sense once you actually use them and depend upon them.

TTP, ever heard of a singer songwriter in the Mid. TN area called Tall Paul? Use to play all over the place around the early 90's. Are you a trail troubadour now or just tall, too? :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-21-2005, 17:11
I have the entire AT topos on CD ROMs (Maptech) - the program includes shelters, water sources and elevation profiles. I printout info / download maps to tiny GPS unit for section hikes. I also own a 2003 WF book and the 2005 companion and add water sources or other info sometimes to what the program has.

BTW, I have rarely had to use the maps in the GPS unit, but it doubles as electronic storage for other info I need to carry (phone numbers, other numbers, misc info.)

Jack Tarlin
11-21-2005, 19:42
From all reports, the 2006 edition of the Thru-Hiker's Companion is going to be very different from past versions,and much improved, in that it'll have detailed mileage information that has been absent in previous additions.

In recent years, most hikers have carried another volume, the Thru-Hiker's Handbook, especially since it started incorporating information gleaned (copied, actually) from the A.T. Data Book.

As of next year, hopefully we'll see more hikers using the Companion, now that it contains this very useful material. Also, the Companion is published by two worthy hiking organizations, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and the The Appalachian Long-Distance Hiker's Association, and both of these fine groups derive benefit from sales of the Companion.

Lastly, it should be remembered that the Companion is edited by lots of different folks who have hiked the Trail quite recently (including this past year); their memory is fresh and current, and they have first-hand personal recent knowledge and experience of the places they're writing about, both on the Trail and in towns, and for this reason, many folks feel that the information in the Thru-Hiker's Companion is more reliable and up-to-date.

Jack Tarlin
11-21-2005, 19:45
Addition to the last post:

Without wanting this fine thread to get side-tracked by an argument about their usefulness or importance (this has been extensively debated elsewhere on Whiteblaze), I also want to say that I think every hiker should carry current Trail Maps and know how to use them. There are all sorts of impoprtant reasons to carry maps, and only two lousy ones not to, i.e. to save money and a minimal ammount of pack weight. In addition to a current Trail Guide such as the Companion or Handbook, I think carrying maps is not only valuable, but essential.

SGT Rock
11-21-2005, 19:59
Hey jack, this is gret to hear. Is there some "example" or inside info maybe you can leak out as to it's construction? We had this talk this spring and I am very glad to hear that it may be actually happening.

Jack Tarlin
11-21-2005, 20:41
It's no "leak" as this change in format is pretty well-known; the idea to add mileage/campsite/shelter information has been kicked around for awhile, ever since the ATC decided, for whatever reason, to essentially give this information in full to the author/publisher of the Handbook.

In any case, next year's Companion should have a wealth of information of this sort, which should make for a much more user-friendly book.

Please note: If the new format is a success, and I sure hope it is, while it'll make for a much better Companion, it may well result in a further drop in sales of the A.T. Data Book, which for years was THE most essential tool an A.T. hiker had. Data Book sales were crippled when the Handbook first came out with the Data Book's info encompassed into it; sales will no doubt drop further when the new and "improved" Companion appears.

In that Data Book sales were a significant revenue source for the A.T.C., I just want to take a minute and remind folks that if they aren't already members of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, you ought to be; there is no better way to help the Trail than to join and take part in this organization, and in that it's mainly an all-volunteer organization, just about every dollar you send them will go directly to the Trail.

See www.appalachiantrail.org for details; this is also THE place to go if you're interested in the new companion, maps, or other information on the Trail.

TooTall
11-21-2005, 20:51
TTP, ever heard of a singer songwriter in the Mid. TN area called Tall Paul? Use to play all over the place around the early 90's. Are you a trail troubadour now or just tall, too? :)

My nickname was given to me by my buddies in Korea way back in '76. I use it for my trail name as a reminder of those good times.

Too Tall Paul

TooTall
11-21-2005, 21:05
Please note: If the new format is a success, and I sure hope it is, while it'll make for a much better Companion, it may well result in a further drop in sales of the A.T. Data Book, which for years was THE most essential tool an A.T. hiker had. Data Book sales were crippled when the Handbook first came out with the Data Book's info encompassed into it; sales will no doubt drop further when the new and "improved" Companion appears.

I think the format of the Databook makes it worth buying. It's in a smaller format (less weight and easier to pocket) than the Companion. If you have to carry an entire book it's the one to carry. If ATC got smart they'd print it on even lighter weight rice paper.

It's not the data in the publication that you're paying for but the format of that data. Data about the AT is produced by a goverment organization and, as a result, must be free to the public (although some wingnuts don't agree). Wingfoot has his format, the Companion format is being modified and the Databook has it's format. It's good that us hikers have choices.

Too Tall Paul

MedicineMan
11-22-2005, 00:13
http://www.mindbird.com/national_park_raised_relief.htm

i'm sure you've found some sights but this is one site that carries them...
we have a local outfitter that stocks many of the surrounding raised maps

SGT Rock
11-22-2005, 00:19
I've got one of those raised maps of the Smokies here in my office.

MedicineMan
11-22-2005, 00:27
I took 9 of them and made a frame and they take up a wall, opposite are individual framed national parks.....on the big set I can see a couple hundred miles of the AT and also the Cumberland Trail, and the Big Pine Mountain Trail....others if i looked hard enough....when they get dusty you can hose them off....on those little chunks we carry the scouts love to see where they are in 3D...chunk size 4x4inch or so