PDA

View Full Version : Opinions/Help on my gear list

Pajj
12-30-2014, 23:56
Can I get some opinions on where I should lighten up on my gear? I'd love to be able to get my baseweight down to at least 15 pounds. I know my pack is a few pounds more than average, it's a hand me down from when my cousin hiked the trail in 2002 so not as lightweight as todays gear. Any suggestions will be much appreciated

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=22026

Pajj
12-31-2014, 00:08
Also note I'm still planning to add a sawyer squeeze filter, a thick pair of socks for camp, duct tape, money/id/credit card

Coffee
12-31-2014, 00:12
I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions. It might help if you indicate what kind of budget you have for gear purchases.

Pajj
12-31-2014, 00:45
I can spare 500 or so at the most to replace any gear that I might want to lighten up on, I've already spent a bit on some of my stuff

rhjanes
12-31-2014, 01:09
Your pack and tent jump out to me. Look at a Tarp-Tent, your treking poles are the supports.
http://www.tarptent.com/notch.html
Gossamer Gear or a ULA pack....

evyck da fleet
12-31-2014, 01:10
You're not lightweight but that looks like its about 22lbs. With five days of food (10 lbs) and 2 liters of water(4 lbs) that puts you in an acceptable range. For $200-250 you could knock a few lbs off your pack by replacing it and for under $50 you could probably get a foam pad weighing under a pound. Otherwise, as long as you weigh say 160 or more, I don't see your pack weight exceeding 25% of your body weight or being a problem.

Coffee
12-31-2014, 07:53
I would focus on the pack and tent with a gear budget of $500. The ULA Catalyst may be a good fit for your new base weight. And although I have no personal experience with Tarp Tent products, they have a good reputation. Both would set you back in the neighborhood of $500 combined and probably represent the biggest bang for the buck in terms of weight savings. And you could spend less if you can find these items used.

soumodeler
12-31-2014, 09:37
I agree with others about tent and pack. Tarptent Notch is what I use and love it. 27.5 ounces trail weight.

That will set you back about $300 with shipping and everything. Saves over a pound.

For the rest I would look for a pack in the < 3 pound range. You can do this for about $200. This saves you over 2 pounds.

Two additional items worth considering for another $150 are a lighter sleeping pad. The NeoAir is light at 13oz and $130 or less. Saves another 1+ lbs.

If you are set on the thru hikers companion, cut it into sections and mail them ahead to you. There is no need to carry all 11oz at one time. Another option is to get the AWOL guide, specifically the unbound version and carry only what you need. It is lighter at 8oz for the entire thing and only $20.

There is 4.5+ lbs right there for $550 or less. Just my thoughts.

fastfoxengineering
12-31-2014, 18:23
As mentioned before, the most bang for your buck in weight savings, and well, would also be great upgrades, are a new tent and pack.

Get a new pack from REI/EMS on sale for around $120 . The REI flash pack is a great lighterweight thru hiking pack and can be had for cheap.

Get a tarp tent for around $300. You'll have a better and lighter shelter.

Get a zlite thermarest ccf pad for $35 and save yourself a ton of lb.

For $500 you could shave prob 5lbs of your main gear.

Pajj
01-01-2015, 16:13
Thanks for suggestions guys. While I still won't be categorized as "lightweight" I think Ill go with getting a new pack and ccf pad to take a few pounds off. I was In REI today looking at the REI Flash pack and a lightweight ccf pad, gonna wait till the garage sale this sunday and see if I can get a good deal on something though. ANother sidenote is that I'll be starting in March so a lot of my gear will be sent home as it warms up

Connie
01-01-2015, 16:42
Kelty has a reasonably priced Ranger Tarp complete with doors and "splash shirts" for rain or snow weighing in at less than 2.5 lbs. It packs down to 4.5 x 12 inches. $129.95

I would think titanium stakes would lighten the load, as this "tarp" or "tarp tent" has 10 or 12 tie-outs.

http://www.kelty.com/p-797-range-tarp.aspx

If you got the REI Flash 45 pack, you might be color-coordinated, as well.

http://m.rei.com/product/862884/rei-flash-45-pack

JJMorse
01-01-2015, 17:19
Remember that switching from an inflatable to a CCF pad is not just pure weight savings, it's a very different surface to sleep on. Personally, I find the 1lb for a NeoAir X-Lite, full length large to be easily worth it. I've done trips on CCF pads before and I just don't sleep as well or feel as good the next day as a good inflatable. You could maybe meet halfway and use a torso length inflatable pad and a CCF or Z-Rest style piece for your legs that would double as a sit pad. Or use your pack for your legs.

Just something to think about. Switching packs will be both an upgrade in weight and comfort without much sacrafice most likely. You could shed a pound or more by going with a high quality down sleeping bag instead of the synthetic, and the only sacrifice is that you just have to be mindful of keeping it dry (and $ of course). But switching your sleeping pad could possibly end up being a major downgrade in comfort. But plenty of people like CCF pads and Z-Rests, so try it for yourself.

JJMorse
01-01-2015, 17:36
There are many smaller items you could consider that would add up too...

-Maybe leave the GoPro home and just use your iphone as a camera and videocamera? Hiking isn't exactly an action sport anyways. Maybe you have an idea in mind, but I don't see what a GoPro brings to the table really. The iphone could also be your journal. With those weight savings you could carry an external battery to make the iphone last longer and still end up a few Oz lighter
-Not sure what boots you're using, but "they" say that a pound on your feet is like 5 on your back, so a switch from boots to lightweight trail runners could be your biggest potential for weight savings.
-Do you need your pot to be 1.7L? Personal preference thing again, but most seem to cook for themselves with a pot between 700-1000mL
-Are you bringing a knife or multi-tool? The scissors on my leatherman micra are excellent nail clippers, so I'm leaving those at home.
-Consider putting your Thru Hikers companion in the microwave and only take certain sections with you to reduce weight. Have someone ship, or ship yourself the other sections as needed.
-You have a 20 degree bag and lots of layers... Is an emergency space blanket really necessary? Maybe check the forecast right before you leave and make a judgement call to leave that behind.
-Are you sure you'll be hiking in baselayer bottoms AND conversion pants? It needs to be below 25 degrees or so before I would consider hiking in thermals. But everyone's different. Go on some test hikes if you haven't. I'll only be bringing one pair of thermals for my legs on my thru, and I highly doubt I end up hiking in them more than once or twice at the very beginning.
-I do not know about your shelter, but I'm not bothering with a full groundcloth.
-I also don't use a pack cover, since I use a trash compactor bag on the inside anyways. Again, personal preference.

Good luck! Maybe see you on the trail
-

Connie
01-01-2015, 18:32
I just got on my PC. Now I can see geargrams (flash required).

21+ lbs and you don't have food or water weight: I suggest,

If you tire of carrying the Cat's Meow, for weight or for volume, it can always fetch a good resale price if you keep it clean. If you sell' don't sell cheap. It is a highly desirable sleeping bag among the sleeping bag crowd in the West. It is almost always sold out, here, in the West.

I have Hammock Gear Burrow 20 F top quilt, because my body weight smashes the down insulation. I rely on NeoAir Xlite or Xterm for insulation. I recommend this combination.

Gossamer Gear polycryo ground sheet is easier to bring, easier than any other "footprint" or ground cloth.

I will purchase a Heart Fire Gear Hoodie Pack Cover, because it protects where the shoulder straps join the backpack. You might consider it weights practically nothing at all, and, it does a better job than a standard pack cover.

I hope your camp thermals are not cotton or cotton blend.

If your boots are hiking shoes worn with Simbissity stretch gaiters, for example, it will save you thousands of pounds of weight you lift at every step along the trail. The stretch gaiters will protect your ankles and socks from dirt and debris.

Forego the New Balance Minimus camp shoes for a hiking shoe with more lateral stability with structure and support in the footbed, then look online at slip on "water shoes" for water crossing and for camp.

Boots and shoes is both heavy to carry, and bulk.

Space blankets are just about useless as insulation, however, it could reflect a fire into your shelter near a boulder. The mummy-style are more efficient. At least, you have an effective vapor barrier. Adventure Medical Kits has a selection.

Consider a container for an additional 1-liter, to carry in a backpack side pocket, or, on a shoulder strap.

I don't like headlamps, but you might consider LED hats idiotic. Dual purpose. Not easily "lost". https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=led+hat&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Doesn't your iPhone have provision for journaling? My iPod Touch has apps.

I like a Bug Baffler headnet and gloves better than bug spray. You may find you need gloves, anyway. http://bugbaffler.com/products/headnet?

Paracord is heavy for the purpose. ZPacks accessories has more lightweight cordage. The 2.3 is about right. Easy to handle. Doesn't tangle, I understand.

I don't see a windscreen. Everyone needs a windscreen. behind rocks isn't effective. heavy aluminum cut from an aluminum foil baking pan found at a grocery store will serve. However, it must be rigged above the fuel jet above the canister to be safe from explosion. If clever, you could make a support for the windscreen from thick and strong bare wire. There are discussions in "threads" in this forum how to make a safe and effective windscreen, where a canister stove is involved.

Frye
01-03-2015, 11:02
Sorry if some others have offered some of this advice, I didn't take the time to read the replies.

After looking at your gear list these would be my suggestions. This is assuming a mid-march start and utilizing your $500.00 limit. You won't be able to do everything I'm suggesting with $500.00 but you could probably do most and have options to pick and choose your preferences.

First let's see what can be swapped out on the cheap or just removed altogether.

1. NB's as camp shoes? If you need camp shoes grab some slippers or crocs.

2. 1.7L pot? Drop it and get a K-mart greese pot. $10 and 3oz's. Unless of course you're planning on cooking for an entire extended family. Plus friends.

3. Your food bag is pretty huge. Although I guess it's not adding much to your weight, but a smaller food bag will help prevent overshopping at restocks.

4. Drop the paracord, buy some Z-line from Zpacks. I think it's like 10bucks for the same length. Doesn't stretch out either like Pcord and will save an oz or more.

5. Your first aid kit is to much. Handwarmers are probably overkill. My kit for example has some motrin, immodium, bandaids and superglue (cuts and scrapes) You can buy anything extra needed along the way. As for the repair kit, the thermarest repair kit and some duct tape wrapped around your trekking pole should do.

6. Which guidebook? I think Awol's is 8oz's and you can rip it in half and have the second section mailed to you in Harpers. Quick weight savings of 4 oz's.

7. Ditch the space blanket. It's not needed. You're packing your fears.

Those first seven should be able to be accomplished for about $50 and save you over a pound.

Oh and bug spray isn't needed at first. Wait until may.

---------

Onto the 'big three'

1.Your spitfire is 3 pounds. You could knock 20 ounces off by going with the SMD Lunar solo LE which is on sale right now for $140.00
That's a pretty damn good savings at a decent price.

2.The pack is obviously overkill, but should be bought last. Don't just grab one. Wait until you have the majority of your gear and then buy a pack to fit it. Making this purchase first often leads to owning a pack to small or way to large for your needs. That said, a pack like the Osprey Atmos 65 can be had for under 200 and has a decent suspension system.

(I would say go SMD has they are having an amazing sale on their packs, but I can't recommend a pack I haven't seen used first hand. I hear they are pretty nice though and $115 bucks for a 65L is hard to beat)

Whatever you do don't listen to anyone telling you to go with a purely ultralight pack such as a frameless. You just aren't there yet.

3. The sleeping bag is a bit tougher. Best advice is gear swap on BPL or geartrade. Try and find a used down bag for under 150 that's sub-2.
There are some lower priced bags out there at lower weights then your cat, but I wouldn't put my trust in them.

4. As for your sleeping pad, just grab a prolite. Not expensive, bomber, and should provide enough warmth. You can add a torso length of thin CCF on really cold nights.

Whatever you decide you should be able to knock at least 4 pounds off your pack, tent, and pad here and stay well within budget.
---------

I don't like to comment on clothing systems and luxury items. That's preference and I'm not going to add my two cents there. I would suggest learning as much about layering systems as possible in order to reduce clothing weight but that's it. In the end do what is comfortable for you.

With $500.00 bucks though you shouldn't have much trouble knocking 6 pounds off that list or even more. Just get the weight down and then tweak a little.

Pajj
01-03-2015, 12:02
Just want to add in a note about the New balances because everyone keeps saying not to bring them as camp shoes... These are NOT real shoes people. "Minimus" They're basically water shoes, lighter than crocs.

Frye
01-03-2015, 13:49
I know what the NB shoes are. They're not needed IMO. If you're going to use a camp shoe, use one that is multipurpose. The only reason I ever bring camp shoes is because I also use them as shower shoes. The floor of a hostels shower can be a breeding ground for nastiness. If I'm only on a couple day outing I just bring some bread bags to keep my camp socks dry in my runners.

Even though the shoes won't actually lighten your load, one of the best ways to shed some weight is thinking of how to make an item multipurpose.

Connie
01-03-2015, 14:41
That is the reason I mentioned the slip-on mesh water shoes. Lightweight. Dual purpose. Shower shoes, as well.

HooKooDooKu
01-03-2015, 15:00
Sleeping pad was the 1st thing I zero'ed in on. Today, 2lbs is way too heavy for a sleeping pad.

If money is tight, a prolite is great in that it weights about the same and can pack down about the same as a neoair.

The REI Flash 62 is only a 3lb pack. It's what I carry for my weekend trips where I'm usually carrying a 2-man or 3-man tent and extra food for hiking with kids.

IMHO, a 3lb tent, while not the lightest available, isn't terrible.

After that, I would start looking at the onces. For example... rather than a water proof compression sack, a pack cover, and water proof stuff sack for clothing; could you substitute a lighter weight stuff sack (non-compression) and a pack liner (which could be a garbage sack)?

If you don't already have the Cat's Meow Sleeping Bag, I would recommend replacing with a Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 15... not because it's going to save you any real weight, but because it stuffs much smaller. I don't recall the exact amount when I've compared the two in the past... but when you work out the cubic inches the stuff sacks that come with them, the Ultralamina packs down about 50% smaller.

Pajj
01-03-2015, 15:02
The minimus is multipurpose, shower shoes, camp shoes, they have grip on the bottoms so they would make good shoes to ford rivers with if needed. they are slip on. I will definitely be bringing them, like you said frye i absolutely hate showering in any shower other than mine without shoes on, that is the main reason I'll be bringing them

Connie
01-03-2015, 15:08
I didn't know those shoes would do all that.

Great find!

Pajj
01-03-2015, 15:09
definitely agree with 3 lbs being reasonable for a tent. I know it's not the lightest out there but 3 lbs is better than the 5 pound half dome I had before I decided to thru hike. Not looking to go ultralight, I'd just like to get down below 20. I'm going to scratch the space blanket and journal/pen. Upgrade my pad to something lighter as well. Much of my gear was hand me downs from my cousins, they thru hiked in 2002 and while the gear is still in excellent condition lightweight wasn't exactly todays definition of lightweight

Frye
01-03-2015, 15:12
I'm not going to argue. I don't agree, but that's your call. Just so you know though, the NB's will collect and store exactly the sort of stuff you're trying to avoid in a shower. I don't think I need to elaborate... lol

We're digressing though, the point was lowering your base. It's a pity I don't think you can get your gear down to a size in which a Talon 44 would work for you, I'd actually float you one I have laying around.

Pajj
01-03-2015, 16:52
yeah I think I'll definitely need at least a 50L pack. I'm sure a lot of my stuff will be upgraded or flat out sent home after a month or so. I wish I was more willing to spend money to go lightweight, but being 18 I'm not exactly loaded. I wouldn't want to spend too much on lighter gear and then run out while I'm hiking, although I do plan on being pretty tight with my money. Who knows, maybe I'll find some decent deals tomorrow at the REI garage sale, thats the only real scenario where I could see myself dropping cash on a down bag or tent

Pajj
01-23-2015, 14:10
Just an update on where I've cut down and what I'm looking at now.
I went with the thermarest z lite as a lighter sleeping pad. I've been camping with ccf pads all my life so it's comfortable for me, only thing I'm worried about is the low R value for the beginning months. I also replaced my pack with an Osprey Atmos 65. I also took some things out such as the notebook (I'll just use my phone), and the space blanket. This brings my base weight down to about 17 lbs. If anyone else has anything to suggest that would be great! My geargrams has been udpated with my new gear. Thanks for the help. Only one more month to go!

Connie
01-23-2015, 16:12
I don't see the update at geargrams.

Maybe we need a new link?

Pajj
01-23-2015, 22:50
You're right! Here it is http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=22026

Menace
01-23-2015, 23:00
Consider getting a Solo Stove (woodstove) and ditch the canister. You can always find fuel to fire up the stove and boil water. Also consider going with a Hennessey Hammock. When I switched from a tent to a hammock I took 4 pounds out of my pack.

Connie
01-23-2015, 23:09
If the Osprey Atmos 65 were with The Big Four the weight would be more obvious, than a category marked as None.

I mean, you can see how these items impact the overall weight: 60% here.

This is why we emphasize the importance of The Big Three or The Big Four.

Under 18 lbs. before food, water and fuel is "looking good".

Not yet your 15 lbs. goal.

Pajj
01-23-2015, 23:28
Whoops, must have forgotten to put it in the category. Fixed here http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=22026 . My target weight was anything below twenty, so I've already met that.

Connie
01-23-2015, 23:43
Can I get some opinions on where I should lighten up on my gear? I'd love to be able to get my baseweight down to at least 15 pounds.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=22026

Cough. cough.

Is that snarky?

Pajj
01-24-2015, 00:06
That was when I had first posted this. I've since realized that it's just not in my budget to get down that low, due to the fact that it would most likely mean buying a lighter tent of sleeping bag. snarky or not, I'm not offended :)

Connie
01-24-2015, 00:51
Well, you have good gear. No doubt about that.

If you make a change later on, for example, for a "summer" sleeping bag, having quality gear is easier to sell toward the next purchase, if you like: some of us hang on to good gear forever.