PDA

View Full Version : REI Flash 62

AO2134
12-31-2014, 00:38
Looking for some advice with a problem I seem to have with the REI Flash 62.

I would like to say first off, I love the pack. I think it is a great, fairly light pack. I hope to keep this pack, but I may have to consider other options.

The first REI Flash 62 I had, I put about 300 miles into it. The bottom of the pack, where the stitching from the hip belt meets the bottom of the pack began to come undone. I took it back to REI and the replaced it without a problem.

Although I would hope for much better shelf life, I can understand how after 300 miles, the stitching could start to go.

However, recently I took out the new REI Flash 62 for a 2 day, 40 mile hike on the BMT recently. When I got home, I began to already see the stitching coming undone again.

My winter pack weight is about 30-31 lbs at the max.

My summer pack weight is currently about 27-28 lbs at the max. After a quilt upgrade, my summer pack will likely be 25-26 lbs max.

Could it be a problem with the way I pack my pack? I usually pack my sleeping bag in a compression sack and put it to one side and then begin filling the other side with other items (food, sleeping pad) to even it out. Instead, should I ditch the nearly 6 oz compression sack and just fill the bottom of my pack with my sleeping bag?

Anyone have this problem?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a similar sized pack with similar weight.

Osprey Volt 60 Pack? Osprey Atmos 65 Pack?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Starchild
12-31-2014, 07:55
I used the Flash 62 for my thru and the next season with my ridgerunning job. The pack still is very usable but very well worn. No problem with the stitching that I recall.

Your weights are a bit higher then mine, 11-27lbs for the thru, I did have to carry more ridgerunning but didn't weight it, so you may want to consider trying to put your pack on a diet to lose a few lbs.

I never used a compression sack, but did use a dry bag for my sleeping gear which you can use like a compression sack by getting the air out and sealing it. I typically had my tent on the bottom, sleeping gear next. I don't think a compression sack should be used unless you need the room in the pack.

Perhaps the way you pack is causing extra strain on the stitching. The vertical method of stacking things side by side could be causing them to bulk out on the bottom as things settle and wedge themselves in while hiking. Perhaps try a horizontal stacking method instead.

The other benefit of a horizontal stacking system for some is it allows you to 'float' your heavier loads on top of your compressible loads (such as a non-compressed sleeping bag). Conventional wisdom often recommends loading the pack heavy on the bottom, but I find that, even though may feel better the first mile or so (and it does), it wears me out quicker, so I prefer to have the heavy stuff on some sort of shock absorber.

AO2134
12-31-2014, 12:39
I used the Flash 62 for my thru and the next season with my ridgerunning job. The pack still is very usable but very well worn. No problem with the stitching that I recall.

Your weights are a bit higher then mine, 11-27lbs for the thru, I did have to carry more ridgerunning but didn't weight it, so you may want to consider trying to put your pack on a diet to lose a few lbs.

I never used a compression sack, but did use a dry bag for my sleeping gear which you can use like a compression sack by getting the air out and sealing it. I typically had my tent on the bottom, sleeping gear next. I don't think a compression sack should be used unless you need the room in the pack.

Perhaps the way you pack is causing extra strain on the stitching. The vertical method of stacking things side by side could be causing them to bulk out on the bottom as things settle and wedge themselves in while hiking. Perhaps try a horizontal stacking method instead.

The other benefit of a horizontal stacking system for some is it allows you to 'float' your heavier loads on top of your compressible loads (such as a non-compressed sleeping bag). Conventional wisdom often recommends loading the pack heavy on the bottom, but I find that, even though may feel better the first mile or so (and it does), it wears me out quicker, so I prefer to have the heavy stuff on some sort of shock absorber.

I do more vertical packing than horizontal, I may try horizontal and see what happens. I do also keep my tent at the very top of my pack (still inside though). It is a 2.5 lb tent so not terribly heavy. I do like being able to set up tent as first order of business when I reach campsite.

Late last night I packed up my pack the way I normally do and decided that today I will take it to REI and see what they say/think. Maybe get a return and see if there are any other packs that would work.

Starchild
12-31-2014, 19:51
I do more vertical packing than horizontal, I may try horizontal and see what happens. I do also keep my tent at the very top of my pack (still inside though). It is a 2.5 lb tent so not terribly heavy. I do like being able to set up tent as first order of business when I reach campsite.

The Flash 62 has a bottom zipper, so instant access to your tent unless you compactor bag it inside your pack.

Late last night I packed up my pack the way I normally do and decided that today I will take it to REI and see what they say/think. Maybe get a return and see if there are any other packs that would work.
Hopefully you will post their advice.

AO2134
01-01-2015, 16:22
The Flash 62 has a bottom zipper, so instant access to your tent unless you compactor bag it inside your pack.

Hopefully you will post their advice.

The advice was not to have as much weight on the top of my pack. I always put my tent across the top of my pack outside a compactor bag. He said to change that. He also said to remove all the clothing I had from my dry sacs and just stuff them in the gaps of the pack. Finally, he said remove the sleeping bag compressor bag. All of these adjustments saved about 13 oz. Also with packing it this weight, the spaces in the pack filled out much more. There were gaps created by bulky clothing/food bags. After packing it this way, it saved some weight and a lot of space.

I decided to go with the Flash 62 one more time, but I now wonder if I should have gotten the Osprey Atmos 65. It is 9 more ounces then the flash, but weight really doesn't bother me. 25 lbs or 35 lbs is all the same to me, but apparently not for my gear. The Atmos looks more sturdy.

If it happens again, I am abandoning the flash 62 despite the fact that I love the feel of the pack. I can't exactly make my pack much lighter than it already is without expending more money than I am comfortable with.

juma
01-02-2015, 16:26
I sure like the 62 but was nervous about all the issues I've seen reading feedback and reviews. decided to get the osprey exos 58 and I've been happy with it. If i needed a big big pack for one hike, I'd probably buy the 62 and run with it.