PDA

View Full Version : Marmot 15 degree Helium bag

Papa Al
12-31-2014, 10:53
Will be heading North from Springer Mtn. on March 16, 2015, have a 30 degree bag, but don't believe that will do the job that early. Thinking of a Marmot 15 degree Helium, any thoughts on this or if a 30 degree bag would be enough. From Northern Wisconsin so somewhat acclimated to the cool weather. Sorry if this as been asked before I'm a old fart with limited computer skills.

saltysack
12-31-2014, 10:54
I love my helium 15.... It's rated true...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peakbagger
12-31-2014, 15:30
Just make sure it will fit you. An undersized sleeping bag loses rating if the fill is compressed.

Dogwood
12-31-2014, 16:29
15* Marmot Helium. Enjoy the hike by staying comfortably warm when needed. Switch it out to the 30* bag or a quilt for summer.

Coffee
12-31-2014, 16:46
I have the Marmot Helium Long. It is a good bag and I'm sticking with it for my PCT hike next year. But make sure that it is sized correctly for your body type. The bag is quite roomy and I have lots of empty space at my foot as well as all around my torso. I'm 6'1" and usually anywhere from 155-165 pounds. For me, it is comfortable with just a light wool base layer down into the mid-high 20s. If I think it is going to get much below that, I'll put on additional layers such as my down parka.

I would choose a more form fitting bag if I had to make the decision again but for now I'm not changing.

saltysack
12-31-2014, 18:14
I'm 5'11" 212 lbs reg size fits me perfect....once had to make room for my 18 lb jack Russell when his fleece bag and my montbell down parka wasn't enough....that was lil snug!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garlic08
12-31-2014, 19:04
I left April 4 on my thru with my Helium and I needed it through the first month, at least. What a great bag. I had two storms with temps in the mid and low teens and light blowing snow. Later on, I survived with my 30F bag in a mid-May cold snap around the James River, but I wished I'd kept my Helium a week or two longer. Do not underestimate spring weather in the southern Appalachians, I learned.

Chair-man
12-31-2014, 21:30
I was just looking at the Helium on the Marmot website. (http://marmot.com/products/details/helium-new) I see where Marmot is updating their down in their down sleeping bags and jackets with down defender DWR treatment. (http://marmot.com/content/primary/technology/the-elements/water/marmot-downdefender/) Chances are, if you find one on sale somewhere it probably isn't one with the new down treatment.

I have a non treated Marmot Hydrogen (their 30 degree bag). I plan on using it with some down pants & booties for my early start in 2016 but might get warmer bag, not sure yet, I got some time yet to decide.

swonut
12-31-2014, 21:39
I left Springer about that time with a Marmot Helium 15. I was cold a few nights, and hot a few others. The only real issue I had was when it got warmer, there was little in the way of between. I was either hot or cold. If you go with the Marmot, and I would do it again in a heartbeat, I'd plan on some way to keep warm on an unusual 50 degree night in mid April. I never seemed to crack that code since I can't seem to sleep in socks.