PDA

View Full Version : Spell Checking

rickb
10-25-2005, 14:19
Anyone who has ever read one of my posts knows that I don't use a spell checker.

Sometimes these mistakes are just the way my fingers behave while I am typing fast-- for some reason I find myself typing words I really do know how to spell phonetically. Which is even worse when you don't speak too good. Well.

Other times its because of carlessness, but most often its just stupidity.

Anyway, does anyone have a good system for spell (and grammer) checking Whiteblaze.net posts that does not invlove composing in Word, off line?

If my inlaws ever saw the way I write here they would think I was an idiot. If my own parents saw my spelling, they would think that I had reverted to an, er, more "expirmental" phase in my life.

Whats in the archives is spilled (spilt) milk, but any suggestions so as to avoid that embarassment in the future?

Note: Comments about content should be sent off list :bse

CynJ
10-25-2005, 14:43
I can only speak for myself but I tend to completely overlook spelling errors - especially the ones that you know are typos - like "hte", "trial" instead of "trail", "their" instead of "there".

If you read a post for content and context most spelling errors are overlooked.

(But then again I speed read so it may be more of a hassle to those that read slower)

Sly
10-25-2005, 14:44
I was going to say if you use the Firefox browser they have a spell check extension but upon downloading it (AspellFox) it doesn't appear to work. :(

Sly
10-25-2005, 14:50
Oh well, appparently AspellFox only works with Linux and not Windows.

Mags
10-25-2005, 14:50
I was going to say if you use the Firefox browser they have a spell check extension but upon downloading it (AspellFox) it doesn't appear to work. :(
The Google Toolbar has Aspell built into it. I am using it on Fire Fox on a Red Hat Linux system (use Windows at home..use Linux at work.). The google tool bar also works for OS X.

You can download the Google Toolbar at: http://toolbar.google.com/firefox/index.html

No idea about a grammar checker.

Sly
10-25-2005, 15:03
The Google Toolbar has Aspell built into it. I am using it on Fire Fox on a Red Hat Linux system (use Windows at home..use Linux at work.).

LOL...

Mags, I knew when Firefox was mentioned you'd pop out of the wood work! I downloaded the Google toolbar and now have two Google search boxes on my browser!

Any idea on how to get rid of the 1st?

(using the walnut theme)

Sly
10-25-2005, 15:16
Never mind Mags, I can just hide the Google toolbar until I need it. The spell check seems to work fine. Thanks.

rickb
10-25-2005, 15:32
I have the Mozilla up on this machine, and added Google such that there is a Google "Box" to the immediate right of the web address box. But I can't seem to find anything with spell check associated with it. :confused:

Sly
10-25-2005, 15:35
I have the Mozilla up on this machine, and added Google such that there is a Google "Box" to the immediate right of the web address box. But I can't seem to find anything with spell check associated with it. :confused:

Yeah there's a Google search box to the immediate right of the address box in the regular Firefox browser. Now you have to download the Google toolbar from Mag's link which has the spell check. Once you do that, you'll see it clearly.

If you've already downloaded the Google toolbar, you have to close Firefox and then re-open it for it to appear.

rickb
10-25-2005, 16:00
Since I don't have Widows XP on this machine looks like I'm scroowed. :D

But thanks!

Rick B

Sly
10-25-2005, 16:19
Since I don't have Widows XP on this machine looks like I'm scroowed.

Windows XP, what's that? Does it come after Windows (ME) Millenium, which I use? ;)

Mags
10-25-2005, 16:19
Since I don't have Widows XP on this machine looks like I'm scroowed. :D

But thanks!

Rick B It will also work for Windows 2000. *BUT* you need Service Pack Three. It will not work for correctly for Windows 95/98/Me. Probably will not work for NT.

SLY: Yep, I tend to like this browser. :) For the average person, it is a nice compromise between ease of use, ease up upgrading from Internet Explorer and being supported.

For other neat Firefox tools, go to: https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox

I like the Wikipeadia, Dictionary (for a quick lookup of spelling and definition of a word) and "View in IE" extensions (useful for those sites that are still only viewable correctly in Internet Explorer).

Sly
10-25-2005, 16:27
It will not work for correctly for Windows 95/98/Me.

Works for me in Me! Maybe I did something wrong!

Jack Tarlin
10-25-2005, 16:43
The best way I've found to catch errors is to carefully re-read a post (sometimes more than once!) before posting it.

Not only does this catch a lot of errors, it also makes me think about what I'm about to post, often resulting in my killing a contribution before sending it.

I'm sure there are lots of folks out there who wish I'd do this more often!

Mags
10-25-2005, 16:47
Works for me in Me! Maybe I did something wrong!
Ah..interesting. Say it does not support the Win9x systems. Which is a nice way of saying that if it does not work on Win9x correctly, it is not their problem. :)

Rain Man
10-25-2005, 19:02
... typos - like "hte", "trial" instead of "trail", "their" instead of "there".)

I can see that "trail" and "trial" are typos, just one finger getting ahead of the other on the keyboard.

But "their" and "there" and "they're" are not typos at all in my humble opinion. No fingers in the wrong place on a keyboard made those mistakes. Nor are "sight," "site," and "cite." Nor are "its" and "it's." Those are jist plain ignerence, or if'n yer old, brain farts.

Rain:sunMan

weary
10-25-2005, 19:49
I can see that "trail" and "trial" are typos, just one finger getting ahead of the other on the keyboard.
But "their" and "there" and "they're" are not typos at all in my humble opinion. No fingers in the wrong place on a keyboard made those mistakes. Nor are "sight," "site," and "cite." Nor are "its" and "it's." Those are jist plain ignerence, or if'n yer old, brain farts. Rain:sunMan .
Just watch who you're insulting young fella

Rain Man
10-25-2005, 22:16
Just watch who you're insulting young fella

I reckon a few people on here can rightly call me that!

Rain:sunMan

Hammock Hanger
10-25-2005, 22:42
I downloaded the google tool bar and it has a spell check that works on most forums.

rickb
11-01-2005, 21:15
I just downloaded the speck check program that is offered up when you click on the ABC icon that AT Troll just added to the reply box. If it doesn't work I will be in a lugubrious mood indeed.

It worked! And I am running IE with Windows 98!!!!

Thanks AT Troll.

PKH
11-02-2005, 12:04
I don't mean to be in the least bit facetious, but there are two entirely reliable methods of ensuring correct spelling. Jack Tarlin has touched on one - a thorough check and critical reading of your literary efforts; the other is a good dictionary.

The best of spell checking programs will let you down in the end - ask any English teacher. Don't trust 'em - they ain't your friend, and they are happy to make you look like a public idiot, which is the very finest kind, of course.

Cheers,

PKH