PDA

View Full Version : Big Anges Copper Spur UL1

Many Moons
12-31-2014, 10:55
Hey, Last post I was thinking about getting a Fly Creek, but got some good advice and don't think I would like the entrance from the tent end. So, some told me this might be a better option. Looking for some opinion on the Copper Spur ul1!!!! I have a heavier, but bigger tent now(Kelty Salida 2) that I would like to trim some weight. I don't want to drop almost 400 on a tent I won't like. I hate the dirty shelters and try to stealth camp as much as possible. Got to try to shed some weight. Hike On!!!

Miller
aka:11

HooKooDooKu
12-31-2014, 12:38
Make sure you get a chance to lay inside one of these before you pull trigger... especially with your selected sleeping pad.

I use a size large NeoAir, which by-it-self nearly fills a tent this size. It leaves me feeling like I have no extra room to bring any extra gear in the tent (for example, I like to bring my bag full of cloths into the tent with me). So for me, the extra 10oz (25% increase) in weight is worth carrying the UL2 for the extra space. (Of course 10oz is a lot of weight if you're trying to stay ultralight).

But once again (as I pointed out in the other thread), the footprint of the UL2 is the same as the Kelty Salida 2. I don't think I could justify spending $400 to save less than 1.5lbs. I justified spending the money on a CS UL2 because my lightest tent at the time was a 6lb 2-man tent (and I got it at a super clearance sale).

At about 4 lbs, the Salida isn't all that heavy as a one man tent. If I were in your position, I would use the Salida and spend money else where getting some of the gear you really want.

One final thing about the Salida... for me, I can setup a Kelty Salida much faster than I can a Copper Spur. The reason? The cost of the Copper Spur is so high and the material is so thin that I spend a significant amount of time making sure the ground under the Copper Spur is ultra-clear of things that could possibly puncture the tent. It usually takes me a few minutes to find all the twigs and seed under the ground cloth before I setup the tent. But with my Kelty tents, with their thicker material and lower replacement cost, I only do a rudimentary check for stuff under the ground cloth before feeling safe to set up the tent.

swisscross
12-31-2014, 13:22
I use a large neoair (the rectangular original one) in a CS-UL1.
Tent is tight and would not want to wait out a snow or day long rain storm in it.
No where to layout your stuff or even your food bag.

If you are anyway claustrophobic look elsewhere.

Like HKDK suggested, try it out first, with your pad and bag.

dillard
12-31-2014, 15:51
I've got the CS-UL1 and love it. Has everything I look for in a shelter... good ventilation, plenty of room for me(6' 250), very lightweight, free standing and quick to setup. The material its made of is very thin but has held up well to nights on the AT and in the Rockies using a ground sheet with it.

Coffee
12-31-2014, 16:12
I had a Copper Spur UL1 briefly but returned it to REI because I did not feel like the specs were accurate. I'm 6'1" and I couldn't avoid having the foot end of my bag touch the inner mesh. While this probably isn't an issue most of the time since it is a double wall tent, the specifications led me to believe that there would be more space for someone my height. I have read about hikers my height having no issues with the space, however, so there is some subjective element to how well it would work for taller hikers. I got the Hexamid Twin to replace the CS UL1 and I have tons of space inside and I dropped well over 1.5 pounds of weight.

swjohnsey
12-31-2014, 17:55
The Hexamid Twin weighs 1 lb?

Coffee
12-31-2014, 17:57
The Hexamid Twin weighs 1 lb?

My Hex twin 20.4 ounces including stakes and cuben groundsheet. CS UL1 including footprint was roughly 45 ounces if I remember correctly. So, very roughly a 24 ounce savings - 1.5 pounds.

RangerZ
12-31-2014, 18:09
I like my CS1, the side entrance is definitely better than an end entrance. I'm a everything in the tent type - pack and boots and haven't felt crowded. I like having the pack near my head to be able to get to things. But I'm not as big as these other guys, 5'10" and I think it has enough room. Got it for under $300 with my discount, dividend and gift card.

HooKooDooKu
12-31-2014, 19:24
...the specifications led me to believe that there would be more space...
Pretty much true of ALL tents.

From what I've ever seen, tent manufacturers quote floor size based on either where poles touch the ground (free standing tents) or the widest point of the tent walls. When you consider that every tent either clips onto poles and floor/wall corners are curved, the quoted size will NEVER be the usable size.

Case-in-point: Mountain Hardware Drifter 3 has a specification of a floor size of 93" tall and 66" wide.
I use a large size sleeping pad (quoted at 25" wide) and my two son's each use a regular size sleeping pad (quoted at 20" wide each).
Based on the Drifter's specifications, I should be able to place all three pads inside the tent and have 1" extra to spare. When I tested on that was setup in a store, I could not get all three sleeping pads inside the tent. Even if I alternated the directions of the sleeping pads (which were all tapered in shape), it was still impossible to get all three pads in the tent. Now keep in mind that my 25" wide pad is actually only that size when uninflated. When inflated, the actual width is 23"-24".

So that means that a tent that was quoted at a floor size of 66" actually had a usable floor size of about 61".

I don't provide this example to pick at Mountain Hardware. Every other manufacturer does the exact same thing.

Another case in point: Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. The floor shape is tapered. The wide end is quoted at 52" and the narrow end at 42". So at the widest point of my sleeping pads, the tent should be about 47" to 50" wide. That should be plenty of room for a 25" pad and a 20" pad. The reality was I could not put those two pads inside the tent without them overlapping. The tent was barely wide enough to have two 20" pads inside it.

swjohnsey
12-31-2014, 20:36
My Hex twin 20.4 ounces including stakes and cuben groundsheet. CS UL1 including footprint was roughly 45 ounces if I remember correctly. So, very roughly a 24 ounce savings - 1.5 pounds.

You do know you carry the footprint/fly the tent/fly but not both. Mine weighs just over 2 lbs trail ready, tent and fly, and under 2 lbs fly and footprint.

Coffee
12-31-2014, 20:50
You do know you carry the footprint/fly the tent/fly but not both. Mine weighs just over 2 lbs trail ready, tent and fly, and under 2 lbs fly and footprint.
At the time, I was concerned about fragility of the tent floor. If you drop the footprint, that saves about five ounces I think...

Rolex
12-31-2014, 23:01
Same here. I bring it all inside too. After a chipmunk session one night I do leave the food out hanging now though. I'm 5'8 and 175 lbs and have plenty of room for me, a neoair blowup(the yellow one) and a ULA catalyst.
I like my CS1. I was torn between it and a MSR Hubba and finally just got both from members here. I switch back and forth on a running comparison.

The CS1 makes a shorter and lighter package. It will all fit in the pack sideways laying down where the Hubba's pole bag has to remain vertical.
The floor seems tissue paper thin and I have the footprint that came with it. I've never had any issues but I'm careful. I'm hesitant to use it on PCT type ground though. Probably want a better Tyvek footprint for that environment.

Both of them have zippers that you better be careful with. No sudden run to the woods in the middle of the night yanks on these! But no problems to date but again, I would be hesitant to let kids run amok with either.

I think it's the CS1 but someone can correct me. One of them has the top crossbar that is a PITA to clip in and out. Always afraid of ripping something due to being so tight. I read this was normal on one of the forums online.
Rolex

I like my CS1, the side entrance is definitely better than an end entrance. I'm a everything in the tent type - pack and boots and haven't felt crowded. I like having the pack near my head to be able to get to things. But I'm not as big as these other guys, 5'10" and I think it has enough room. Got it for under $300 with my discount, dividend and gift card.

RangerZ
12-31-2014, 23:26
Same here. I bring it all inside too. After a chipmunk session one night I do leave the food out hanging now though. I'm 5'8 and 175 lbs and have plenty of room for me, a neoair blowup(the yellow one) and a ULA catalyst.
I like my CS1. I was torn between it and a MSR Hubba and finally just got both from members here. I switch back and forth on a running comparison.

The CS1 makes a shorter and lighter package. It will all fit in the pack sideways laying down where the Hubba's pole bag has to remain vertical.
The floor seems tissue paper thin and I have the footprint that came with it. I've never had any issues but I'm careful. I'm hesitant to use it on PCT type ground though. Probably want a better Tyvek footprint for that environment.

Both of them have zippers that you better be careful with. No sudden run to the woods in the middle of the night yanks on these! But no problems to date but again, I would be hesitant to let kids run amok with either.

I think it's the CS1 but someone can correct me. One of them has the top crossbar that is a PITA to clip in and out. Always afraid of ripping something due to being so tight. I read this was normal on one of the forums online.
Rolex

CS1 has both a pocket and a strap on the fly fit the crossbar into. I just use the strap. The center clip on the tent isn't that bad

Many Moons
12-31-2014, 23:49
Thanks everybody! I am weighing all that you are saying! I am trying to get REI to bring one in so I can try it out. We got 3 in area, but none have this modell. Hike On!!

Miller

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
12-31-2014, 23:53

Use a CS 1. I don't have a difficulty clipping mine at the top at all nor do I find it too tight.

Frye
01-03-2015, 15:28
Hey Many, I strongly suggest looking at Lightheart gear and SMD. Better designs at a lighter weight, and less cost. The SoLong is just sexy.

I don't like to talk negatively about gear companies, but BA is so overrated. I can't think of one product they sell in which there isn't a cheaper, lighter and better alternative.

I'm not sure why I'm offering advice to someone from Wake Forest though... =D

colorado_rob
01-03-2015, 15:53
Hey, Last post I was thinking about getting a Fly Creek, but got some good advice and don't think I would like the entrance from the tent end. So, some told me this might be a better option. Looking for some opinion on the Copper Spur ul1!!!! I have a heavier, but bigger tent now(Kelty Salida 2) that I would like to trim some weight. I don't want to drop almost 400 on a tent I won't like. I hate the dirty shelters and try to stealth camp as much as possible. Got to try to shed some weight. Hike On!!!

Miller
aka:11Well, we're all different for sure, but I simply don't understand the dislike of the fly Creek entrance. Once per day (most days, at least) you get in in the evening and get out in the morning. the fact that this is ever so slightly more "difficult" doesn't justify the extra weight of the CS (vs. the FC).

This all being said, my OTHER tent is the Hexamid Solo-plus; like coffee says, save even more weight this way. The Solo-plus cost me $390, and weighs exactly one pound including guy lines and a ploycro (gossamer gear) ground sheet, which is half the weight (2 oz vs 4 oz) and much less expensive ($12 for two) than the Zpacks cuben ground sheet.

Basically, I use the zpacks hexamid in the warm weather and the BA fly creek in cooler weather. By the way: I'm 6'1" and fit fine in the fly creek, I don't touch anything at either end. One other point: the "platinum" fly creek is a "smaller" feeling tent than the regular because you cannot tie out the sides (tie out points don't exist on the mesh). The hexamid solo-plus is palatial for one person, but actually works for a couple, but is tight.

TNhiker
01-03-2015, 17:57
Once per day (most days, at least) you get in in the evening and get out in the morning. the fact that this is ever so slightly more "difficult" doesn't justify the extra weight of the CS (vs. the FC).

that may be you but for me---im in and out of the tent maybe 3 or 4 times before the morning.........come into camp, set up tent, take a nap, get up eat dinner, lay down again, read, get up to pee.........maybe sleep and get up and pee in middle of night....

for me----using the side entrance is alot easier than the end door...............

and cant forget how "interesting" it makes getting in and out of the FC if its a good rain coming down............things will get wet fast.......

but, with that being said-----i sold my brand new CS 2 cause i needed money for a flight to see the allman brothers and kept the FC ( i do like how light it is)...........and those two tents were to replace my hubba hubba which i love for many reasons except for the weight.........

and like someone says earlier---i also agree that BA products are overrated..............but, one can find their products for less than retail alot easier than some of the cottage industries..........and BA has treated me nice when i have to return something (not saying the cottage industries wont)......

but, tents are just like everything else----comes down to personal preference........

CarlZ993
01-03-2015, 18:18
I own the CS-1, the Fly Creek UL-2, and the Zpacks Heximid Solo-plus. I find the CS-1 the easiest to get in & out of. The Fly Creek UL-2 is slightly heavier than the CS-1. To me, it feels more claustrophobic than the CS-1. The Solo-plus is ungodly light (even w/ the inner cuben fiber bathtub floor - extra). But, the Solo can be a pain to get out of if the rain fly hood is at its lowest level (I got the extended fly; longer but better weather protection). The Solo-plus also has a very large footprint when guyed out. This can be an issue if you're backpacking in an area w/ designated campsites w/ multiple tents at the location. The Zpacks Duplex tent looks very promising. Slightly heavier than the Solo-plus but w/ two doors & a lot of room. Can't justify the additional purchase, tho.

All tents will have trade-offs. You just got to pick one that will fit your needs. For me, the need for a heavier tent must be justified for something more than 'I like more space.' When doing a long hike, you hike more hours than you sleep.

betsi
01-04-2015, 05:15
I used the CS1 on my AT thru-hike in 2009. Love, love, LOVE it and it's still going strong. Even the duct tape I used to patch a cinder burn has stuck through 5 years of use :). Quick set-up; near vertical walls make it feel "roomier"; plenty of space for my pack, too. One caveat: if it's raining or threatening to rain, try to stash some leaves around the base of the fly so hard drops don't splash up on the tent inside the fly. Since the AT, my husband and I bought the CS2 for the two of us and will probably get a CS3 for our PCT thru-hike this year. These tents have been great for us.

JessetheViking
01-06-2015, 13:21
I used both the copper spur and the fly creek on my 2014 thru. I preferred the copper spur over the fly creek because of the entry. Ask yourself this question, would you pay someone a couple hundred dollars to increase your chances of completeing a thru hike? I answered yes and went light weight. Be sure to get a tyvek ground cloth, it will increase the life of your tent. I bought mine off ebay for like $20.

AliciaG
01-06-2015, 14:25
For weight, the Big agnes tents are hard to beat. The two person tents are quite small though, so if you have to hang out in the tent to wait out weather, etc, you may find them a bit tight - depends how much weight you are willing to carry. Generally if you move to a 3 person tent in the same model you are going to carry 1 lb to 2 lbs more in weight. For example the Seedhouse 2 weighs 3 lbs, 13 oz and the Seedhouse 3 weighs 5 lbs, 6 oz. You can always skip the tent body and just use the rain fly and tent pad only - if you are camping in fair weather only! Or you can buy a single wall tent - like the Pioneer 2 - which gives some storm protection and uses your hiking poles to set up. I found some of these on sale now at REI outlet but only for three days: http://bc25.com/coupon/rei-3-brand-sale/

msumax1985
01-08-2015, 13:40
I also own the CS UL1 and love it. It is my third different tent--I guess third times a charm! I found the 2 person tents too big, and the 1 person tents too small. The UL1 is 22 sq feet, which seems just right to bring my pack inside, and have plenty of room to sit up, and reach my arms out while changing clothes.

This tent was all about value. The lighter cuben fiber tents are much more expensive and tend to be more like tarp-style, which I don't like. The Kelty-types are cheaper, but heavier. But the BA UL1 hit the sweet spot, for me.

Just a note: I use the QCore SL1 sleeping pad. I intended to use the UL1 footprint as my ground sheet inside a shelter. But this combo makes a loud krinkly noise when you move around, kinda like those ultralight yellow Thermarests. So I made a different footprint out of washed Tyvek and problem solved.