PDA

View Full Version : stove on a day hike

Glacier
12-31-2014, 14:39
Who here takes a stove on a day hike? Fall and especially winter I take a stove even on day hikes. I love a warm meal or a hot drink when the Temps dip. Summer however, I leave it home.

twilight
12-31-2014, 14:54
I keep a Trangia stove (army version) on my work truck in the winter time to warm up soups, stew and chili for lunch.

Twilight

Connie
12-31-2014, 15:26
I take a zelph Starlyte alcohol stove with lid. It fits in a pocket, the alcohol inside does not evaporate, or, leak out.

I have a packet of miso, or, other soup. If chilled, I have something to "warm up".

Solitude501
12-31-2014, 16:06
I do, I take the Zelph Fancy Feast Stove, with a snow peak 700ml pot. Hot tea or coffee brightens my day. Adds very little weight to a day hike. Pack it for summer also, a cold mountain stream changes your prospective.

Damn Yankee
12-31-2014, 16:30
Me too. Hot meal, coffee or tea and my wife appreciated a little civility. She isn't much for roughing it.

theoilman
12-31-2014, 16:46
No stove, not for a day hike.

Coffee
12-31-2014, 16:53
I've taken my Jetboil a time or two on day hikes. But for coffee, not food.

kayak karl
12-31-2014, 16:57
My Dad and I used to day hike in Pennypack Park, Philly and always took a sterno can w/stand to heat up a can of something. That was over 50 years ago, but i never forget those hikes :)

scudder
12-31-2014, 17:35
just got in from a day hike over cold mt near Buena Vista. 24 degrees with sugar cookie snow. I brought a Zelph super venom alky stove along (weighs just about nothing) and tea at lunchtime was a treat.

bigcranky
12-31-2014, 17:46
We used to do the Cold Mountain loop when we lived in Richmond. I remember getting snowed and sleeted on one Mother's Day (yeah, in May.) Haven't been up there in years.

I do like to bring a stove on winter day hikes. It's great to have a hot drink or soup for lunch.

Glacier
12-31-2014, 17:55
I was just reading about cold mountain in a hiking book. I may need to take a road trip.

scrabbler
12-31-2014, 18:36
Trangia stove usually. Bribe the kids to come along for hot chocolate mid hike.

HooKooDooKu
12-31-2014, 19:28
I pretty much only take a snack for a day hike and plan for a meal once I'm out of the woods.

Starchild
12-31-2014, 20:22
Occasionally, but mostly a thermos for hot food. When I do bring the Jetboil it also is a source of water from melting snow.

RedSoxFan
12-31-2014, 20:41
always. love a fresh coffee at the summit

The Snowman
12-31-2014, 20:50
A few times I bring a stove but mostly I just bring a vacuum bottle of hot coca.

Wise Old Owl
12-31-2014, 21:15
Who here takes a stove on a day hike? Fall and especially winter I take a stove even on day hikes. I love a warm meal or a hot drink when the Temps dip. Summer however, I leave it home.

Uh I do when we sit down as a group of thirty hikers... the "what?" & the "Ohhh" and the "never saw that before" comes out.... along with the surprise.

Why? the dromedary water bag has heavy reflectix on it - the pack has a kitchen trash bag on the inside and I can grab a wood or alcohol stove that is tiny... micro white bic... priceless!

Glacier
12-31-2014, 21:37
Uh I do when we sit down as a group of thirty hikers... the "what?" & the "Ohhh" and the "never saw that before" comes out.... along with the surprise.

Why? the dromedary water bag has heavy reflectix on it - the pack has a kitchen trash bag on the inside and I can grab a wood or alcohol stove that is tiny... micro white bic... priceless!

I wish I could find a group like that! My friends rather sit around and play video games then go hiking.

Demeter
01-01-2015, 08:00
I do all the time! Hot tea is a treat on a cold day. And a hot meal if I have the time. When I am taking a very leisurely hike, I will try out a new recipe or play with baking in the alcohol stove.

Starchild
01-01-2015, 08:41
I wish I could find a group like that! My friends rather sit around and play video games then go hiking.

Try Meetup.com, it's normal to have such large group hikes here in (in / around NYC) several times a week. It does help to have a population center and great hiking, but there are hiking groups all over the country/world.

Traveler
01-01-2015, 08:42
It really depends on the trail length and conditions for me, but I will frequently take the MSR Whisper Lite on winter day hikes.

rocketsocks
01-01-2015, 08:53
Stove on a day hike...Yez sir. Nothin' like a hot cup of coffee or some soup at a nice vista.

"Soup is good food"

Toolshed
01-01-2015, 14:14
I usually keep a couple of Esbit blocks or a Pepsi can stove and tiny 2oz Nalgene bottle of alcohol in my daypack for winter emergencies, but if I am planning on needing something warm, I bring a 1-liter bullet thermos. It is usually too cold and windy to sit for long to wait for water to heat up.
Although several weeks ago I took the Boy
scouts up the AT on the ridge over Palmerton/Lehigh Gap and brought my 25+ year old MSR w-lite to boil 3 qts for the group during lunch (about 14 minutes).

QiWiz
01-01-2015, 16:19
I often will bring an Esbit cube or two, ti windscreen, mesh pot stand, and an IMUSA 10 cm pot with me to make hot tea to go with whatever I've packed for lunch. Everything fits in the pot, along with an Opinel knife if I'm cutting up some cheese or sausage. Enough hot water to share.

fastfoxengineering
01-01-2015, 16:34
Believe it or not, not only do I bring my stove on day hikes. I bring my whole load out. Now that I've gotten my base weight down, the heaviest I'll be for a day hike is about 15lbs. Depends if I bring a tallboy beer to the summit or not! I always keeps an extra dehydrated meal in my pack too. For emergencies, or an impromptu day hike turned into an over night adventure.

I like the conditioning.