PDA

View Full Version : Gear needs for Harpers Ferry SOBO

Old_Man
12-31-2014, 15:00
Hello all,

I'm planning a SOBO section from Harpers to Springer this spring/summer. I have pretty much everything in place except for a few minor issues. I primarily use a hammock because I have neck issues but I live in Florida and haven't had much need for an underquilt down here. When it's cold out, I use my Eureka Solitare and a thermarest and this works okay but I don't have any experience with doing long-term backpacking with a tent and I don't know how my neck would react to that.

My question is, if I start between May 15th and June 1st (starting date is somewhat flexible), will it still be too cold in West Virginia and NOVA to sleep in a hammock without an underquilt? I was thinking I would start out with my tent until the weather got good and hot and then mail drop my hammock somewhere south of Shenandoah.

I've got everything else figured out, I'm just trying to see if I can manage a comfortable sleep system with the gear I already have (purchasing an underquilt would take a good chunk out of my travel expenses). So, any help from more experienced minds would be much appreciated:sun

And feel free to tell me I'm just overthinking it too. I've been planning this thing for neigh on a decade.

gdwelker
01-01-2015, 11:06
I have done some of that area in a hammock during those timeframes. I did not use an underquilt, but I did carry a thermorest prolite pad that I slept on top of in the hammock. It was good to have as some of the May nights would have been uncomfortable without some insulation under me.

Connie
01-01-2015, 14:09
In the best weather I would want a foil and foam windshield sunscreen under me. The slightest air movenent goes right thru the hammock, chilling my southern exposure.

u.w.
01-01-2015, 16:24
I've hiked WV/NoVA during that time frame, and it can get decently chilly (subjective of course). For the most part you should be fine with a sleeping bag (say 30*) in the hammock. You can wear it as a quilt or blanket if hot, and get inside if cooler. Having said that - I did indeed get a bit of a slap from Ole' Mr. Murphy last year while hiking those areas - twice. Obviously I made it fine, but the temps did drop down into the low to mid thirties with a strong wind blowing a few times. Pay some heed to where the wind is coming from and hang your hammock accordingly - so as to be out of it [a cold wind] as much as possible. Bring a tarp you can put up to block the wind, not just cover the top of your hammock.

u.w.

Kc Fiedler
01-01-2015, 20:47
I had no problem in the Georgia North Carolina area last May with a hammock and CCF pad combined with a 50 degree down quilt. I'd imagine hammock CCF pad, and 30 degree bag would be more than enough.

Old_Man
01-02-2015, 23:00
That's good advice about positioning u.w.. I have a feeling I'm just overthinking this thing. I have all of the gear that I need, I just need to hike. Thanks for the feedback

bigcranky
01-03-2015, 10:13
I have hiked most of northern and central Virginia on the AT in late May and early June using a hammock. I bring a 3/4-length Ridgerest foam pad as insulation under my torso. I'd be pretty darn cold without it. I need some sort of insulation in my hammock below about 70 or 75 at night, and it can easily get into the 50s in May.

The pad also makes a decent place to take breaks during the day.

No reason to start with a tent, a hammock is fine in mid-May.

Slow n' Steady
01-05-2015, 23:17
In addition to giving extra insulation, the advantage of using a thermarest pad (or some other pad) is flexibility. On rainy nights, you may prefer to sleep in a shelter, and a pad gives you that option.

Old_Man
01-06-2015, 00:18
I have a thermarest prolite that I was going to bring. I don't have a lot of experience with this particular model but I'm hoping that will give me enough insulation, combined with a 30* bag. I know it's a lot easier to say this now than when I'm actually hiking, but I'd really like to avoid sleeping in the shelters.

bigcranky
01-06-2015, 15:07
The Prolite should be fine. I used one in my hammock a couple of times. I found that blowing it up halfway worked best.