PDA

View Full Version : The road to Max Patch...

STICK
01-01-2015, 22:01
I will be doing a hike starting late next week and starting at Max Patch... I know it is still a bit of time between then and now, but would like to get this thread going to keep up with the road conditions. I know that they are calling for a bit of rain in Hot Springs, which isn't too far from MP, this weekend, so I am really worried about driving my little car up the roads, especially if there is ice on the roads. So if anyone is in the area and can comment on the road conditions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Sly
01-01-2015, 22:12
I wouldn't worry to much about rain this weekend affecting next week, but here's a link to the

10 Day Forecast (http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USNC0330:1:US)

STICK
01-01-2015, 22:21
I wouldn't worry to much about rain this weekend affecting next week, but here's a link to the

10 Day Forecast (http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USNC0330:1:US)

Thanks Sly, and yeah, I have been watching that site, along with a few others. But I figured maybe someone could give me some info from actually being there as time gets closer... Driving on some ice a few weeks ago going up to Wayah was a bit nerve-racking for me... :)

Poppins
01-01-2015, 22:37
Chad you need microspikes for your car.=)

STICK
01-01-2015, 22:44
Chad you need microspikes for your car.=)

Yeah... I do... :)

STICK
01-01-2015, 22:46
Hey, while I am at it... how about the water sources north of Max Patch? Anyone been though recently and can comment on them?

illabelle
01-01-2015, 23:12
The road to Max Patch from I-40 is gravel, if I remember right. It would take some significant ice/snow to become too slick for travel.

ny breakfast
01-01-2015, 23:38
when going out to remote trail head in the winter i ad a few items to my gear list for the car when packing up, like kitty liter, small shovel, tow rope, and come along just to have a piece of mind when driving on questionable roads. i have most of these items around the house except for the kitty liter i had to buy. a little planing before hand goes along way if you need it, and you don't have to carry these piece of mind items on your back

STICK
01-02-2015, 00:08
@illabelle, yes, the roads do turn to gravel a few miles before getting there, and most of them are a slow incline as I remember it... And it doesn't take much ice when going uphill on curvy mountain roads to get hairy!

@nybreakfast, that is a great idea, and I will do that... Kitty litter and a shovel! Thanks...

bshow
01-02-2015, 19:03
Get a Subaru Outback. Perfect hiker car.

Water north of Max Patch shoukd be plentiful. Enjoy this great section!

The Cleaner
01-02-2015, 19:16
That's just over the mountain from me here in Greeneville TN. The weather can change faster than any of these weather apps can update it. Just give the guys at Bluff Mtn. outfitters in Hot Springs a call a day or so before your trip. Looking at a lot of rain in the next few days followed by temps in the teens. Forecast low of 9* here next Wednesday night, and that's for the valley locations. The mountains could be colder.

The Cleaner
01-02-2015, 19:19
PM me next week and I'll give you the latest from local weather folks.:)

yerbyray
01-02-2015, 21:19
I work for the Highway Patrol for that area and have to say that when the weather gets rough we respond to quite a few accidents on the rural roads with folks in AWD's and 4WD. It isn't about the vehicle, its about the driver...plus you can't factor in the idiot coming the other way. Give me us a call at work 1-800-445-1779 (in NC only) or local line 828-466-5500 (call from anywhere)....Ask for Ray and I will get you some good road information. I will be working days later next week.

STICK
01-03-2015, 10:34
@bshow... I hear you on the Subaru... unfortunately, it's not an option... and especially on such short notice... Thanks for the water report though, some of the reports I have read mentioned that water was sketchy at some of the listed sources, particularly around the shelters.

@The Cleaner... I understand, and agree. The apps and weather services have a hard time getting it right a couple of hours out, let alone a week in advance, but I felt sure that someone on here was from the area and could give me some real, actual conditions. And yeah, I saw that cold front coming in... last I looked, they were calling for a low of 3 F in Hot Springs on Wednesday night/Thursday morning! I won't be there till that evening though, so I think I will be showing up as the temps start rising again. Hoping for at least one really cold night on the trail though! Anyway, I appreciate the help, and I will send you a PM next Wednesday, thank!

@yerbyray... Totally agree! I have a little front wheel drive car, and it does ok, but it definitely has it's limitations, and I know when to say when. I would rather replay a trip due to icy roads than end up off the side of the mountain for thinking "I got this!" I found that in my car, slow, steady and easy will get me the farthest, although, as I said, there is limitations. Anyway, I appreciate the number, and I will likely give you a call the day we are driving up. Thanks!

The Cleaner
01-04-2015, 00:22
Tonight's forecast is for 4* Thursday am with 22* for the high that day. These are TN valley temps, I'd expect at least 10 to 15* colder over in the mountains. Winds could put the wind chill even colder. If you get here and don't want to hike and wait a day or so you can stay at my house here, I'm only 30 miles from Hot Springs. PM me if interested. :)

STICK
01-04-2015, 18:21
@The Cleaner... thanks again... And yeah, we have been watching the weather... looks like Wednesday is going to be super chilly! And some of that is going to spill over for a couple of days... So I am thinking that Thursday, Max Patch will be a bit chilly too... :)

Anyway, I definitely appreciate the offer... and if we need it, we will be in touch. Thanks!

Kerosene
01-05-2015, 16:54
Regardless of the conditions, make sure you've got a full tank of gas before you start up. I had a quarter-tank in the 2008 Honda CRV and was running on fumes on the way back to I-40. Not a whole lot of gas stations in that area!

saltysack
01-06-2015, 11:45
I will be doing a hike starting late next week and starting at Max Patch... I know it is still a bit of time between then and now, but would like to get this thread going to keep up with the road conditions. I know that they are calling for a bit of rain in Hot Springs, which isn't too far from MP, this weekend, so I am really worried about driving my little car up the roads, especially if there is ice on the roads. So if anyone is in the area and can comment on the road conditions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Who you using for shuttle? I'm hoping to hike from davenport gap to hot springs next week ....outfitter wants $85 seems lil high?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Solemates
01-06-2015, 18:12
last time I was on this road it was covered in 6 inches of solid compacted sheet ice, the worst kind of conditions. i drive in those conditions quite a bit, so I was accustomed to it. unfortunately while coming around a downhill turn I had to slow to a crawl, which caused the guy behind me (who was traveling too close) to slide right into me. he almost pushed us both over the mountain!

STICK
01-07-2015, 20:41
@Kerosene... Yeah, I have learned to top of before getting to most of these places... I had the same experience leaving one of the gaps (can't remember which one) and learned my lesson!

@saltysack... We are going to shuttle ourselves, but before our plans changed, we were going to use Curtis from Standing Bear and he quoted a friend $75 from Hot Springs to his place for 5 folks.

@The Solemates... Yeah, that is what I am worried about too... others... Ah well, there is nothing I can do about it I guess, so we will just see... Those road conditions can really scare the $h!+ out of me though... :)

Thanks everyone for the replies! This is why I love this site!

egilbe
01-07-2015, 21:18
They don't sell studded snow tires down South?