PDA

View Full Version : NOBO vs SOBO

ColleenGoldhorn
01-01-2015, 23:08
I have done a lot of research of weather to go NOBO or SOBO. I feel that going NOBO is a better fit me for me, and one of the main reasons is because ending anywhere except Katahdin almost seems anti-climatic.

I will be starting on May 14 because it is the day after my college graduation. Do you think that starting this late should cause me to hike SOBO? I do not want to be rushed and have that ruin my hike, however I want to make sure I finish before Baxter closes.

mattjv89
01-02-2015, 00:00
Well you sure have less margin for error at that point, being 6 months almost to the day before you're likely to be shut out of Katahdin. Certainly possible and the time frame most complete it in but maybe harder to swing back from being sidelined by an injury or whatever else. Then again you can always flip and hike SOBO from Katahdin at whatever point it starts to look like an October 15 finish will be a stretch. You mention the Katahdin finish, why else does a NOBO appeal to you more?

MuddyWaters
01-02-2015, 00:09
5 months very possible ... For some...not for others

You will be way behind most thru hikers
You would also not be able to keep up if just joined into the bubble.

How important is the social aspect to you? Thats the whole reason many hike.

Slo-go'en
01-02-2015, 01:23
There are trade offs no matter when you start. Weather is the major trade off.

May 14th is way too early for a SOBO while it's not too late for a NOBO, so go NOBO. That was easy, eh?

The last few weeks leading up to graduation are bound to be hectic even without having to also get ready for a major hiking trip. You might want to give yourself a few days to a week between the two events. If you do that, now your starting to get into the very earliest time slot for a SOBO, but a SOBO is a bit harder to pull off without some good planning and Maine can be really unpleasant in early June.

So, start NOBO and think about doing a flip flop later if need be. Or just skip the middle part.

Another option is to jump on the trail a bit farther north then Springer. May 14th is about the time of Trail days in Damascus, that could be a fun way to start.

fiddlehead
01-02-2015, 06:24
If I was starting May 14, I would go NOBO.
Too early for a SOBO start in my opinion.
I started in '95 on May 9th and finished Oct 9th that year.
Enjoy the first 400 miles with minimal crowds and better weather than most will probably have.
And don't take too many town days.

Preferably: do 10 miles into town, get your room, shower, laundry, hit a store, a few beers and go to bed.
Get up in the morning, do your breakfast, shopping, another meal and head out by 3PM to do a few.

Sleeping in the woods is the key. (and early rising)
Minimize the motels and you can do it.
Have fun.

Lone Wolf
01-02-2015, 06:27
I have done a lot of research of weather to go NOBO or SOBO. I feel that going NOBO is a better fit me for me, and one of the main reasons is because ending anywhere except Katahdin almost seems anti-climatic.

I will be starting on May 14 because it is the day after my college graduation. Do you think that starting this late should cause me to hike SOBO? I do not want to be rushed and have that ruin my hike, however I want to make sure I finish before Baxter closes.

you got 5 months if you go NOBO. i would go south if it were me. either way your chances of beautiful katahdin climax are slim. springer is beautiful in late fall. it seems everyone worries about the finish before they start

Starchild
01-02-2015, 08:23
If the social aspect is important you may consider a hike from about Demascus-Front Royal area north, give yourself time to get your trail legs before the bubble leaves you in the dust. You can do a pre-celebration at Katahdin, knowing all you have to do it walk out the remaining section down south which should be dead easy by then and if you hit it right you may join in the SoBo when you flip back to your start point.

bigcranky
01-02-2015, 09:10
If I were starting in mid-May, I would start somewhere in the middle, like Harper's Ferry, and hike north to Katahdin. Then flip back to HF and hike south to Springer. There are several advantages: (1) no worries about getting to Maine "on time," (2) get through the mid Atlantic before real summer heat, (3) perfect summer weather in New England, (4) easy terrain to start, (5) you get to "finish" twice, (6) hiking in the South in the fall is terrific. If you take your time you can finish around Thanksgiving (6 months) and just think of the appetite you'll bring to the table :) ("Mom, where's the other turkey?")

quasarr
01-02-2015, 09:36
It would help if we knew more about you, Colleen. (And welcome to WB!)

Are you already an experienced backpacker? That's the main question. It is definitely possible to do a NOBO start in May with time to spare. But for an inexperienced hiker it will be more difficult. However, you will have much nicer weather than people who start in March or April, and probably make better time because of less snow.

The trail will be less crowded, which for me is a good thing. There will be other hikers so you won't be alone out there, just fewer thrus. And with less of a "party" atmosphere, you will not be so tempted to take time off in town.

egilbe
01-02-2015, 09:49
If I were starting in mid-May, I would start somewhere in the middle, like Harper's Ferry, and hike north to Katahdin. Then flip back to HF and hike south to Springer. There are several advantages: (1) no worries about getting to Maine "on time," (2) get through the mid Atlantic before real summer heat, (3) perfect summer weather in New England, (4) easy terrain to start, (5) you get to "finish" twice, (6) hiking in the South in the fall is terrific. If you take your time you can finish around Thanksgiving (6 months) and just think of the appetite you'll bring to the table :) ("Mom, where's the other turkey?")

This is the plan I'm making. Miss the hiker bubble, most people won't be on the trails at the same time I am.

contrast009
01-02-2015, 10:41
I was in a similar boat for my start date and my solution was to push my start date back a few weeks to the beginning of June, enabling a SOBO hike. The upshot is that this gives me time to work a little bit more before I start, so I will have an extra cushion of money for the hike.

Patrickjd9
01-02-2015, 11:09
If I were doing a thru-hike, I'd probably go southbound. I used to be certain about that, but starting at Katahdin would give me pause about being in shape to start.

In real life, I expect to end my section hike with a long southbound from Maine (probably Monson) to New Jersey.

imscotty
01-02-2015, 11:26
Colleen, as you can see there are a lot of different opinions on this subject. In the end what is most important is what you want to do. It is certainly doable to start May 14th and make it to Katahdin. In your favor you should have good weather when you start and less of the Hiker Bubble distractions. The Rhododendrons should be in bloom, a nice start to any hike. Maine in October could be harder weather wise but can be spectacular. If time becomes a squeeze you can always flip to Katahdin or leapfrog ahead. You can decide that as you go. Whatever you decide, have fun.

RED-DOG
01-02-2015, 12:29
NOBO vs SOBO well it all depends why your going out their in the first, if the Social aspect of the trail, lots of people, Trail Festivals, Parties, is your thang and that's important to you to experience then NOBO is for you if you leave may 14th that gives you exactly 5 months to complete the trail, before you have to get permits to hike up Katahdin, BSP doesn't close at October 15th after this date theirs no camping allowed in the park but you can still get permits to climb Katahdin, which means you have to camp off the park and do it as a day hike which is around a 30 mile round trip from the parks Boundary, On both of my NOBO's I did the AT in 4.5 months so yes this time frame can be done.

But if your looking more for a Wilderness experience and less people then SOBO would be for you.

Deadeye
01-02-2015, 12:53
it seems everyone worries about the finish before they start

I think there's a bigger-than-the-AT life lesson in that bit of LW wisdom

squeezebox
01-05-2015, 03:44
There are obviously several possibilities. Start when you need to, and later decide how to finish.

Blissful
01-05-2015, 16:16
SOBO is a great way to go. Northbound you will have to rush starting that late - long days, limited zeros. Weather can be unpredictable. However, there are also obstacles starting that early in Maine with bugs and river crossings. If you have the option, take off for your SOBO in June. Incidentally, I've done both and wrote a three part blog (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com/2011/01/southbound-vs-northbound-part-1.html) on the experience a few a years back. Happy planning!