PDA

View Full Version : Greasy Creek Friendly Hostel

bigben
01-02-2015, 15:16
I've read the limited beta available here and on the net about this place, but was hoping you all could expand on that. This years section will start at Sam's Gap, and will end at either Iron Mountain Gap or Greasy Creek Friendly hostel. I usually drive to where we'll finish and leave my truck there for 5 days. First, is there safe 5 day parking at Iron Mountain Gap? Would you/have you parked there? If not, then to Greasy Creek it is. Does anyone know if they do shuttles(would be from there to Sams Gap)? If not, does anyone have a shuttle recommendation? Sarge at Uncle Johnny's would probably do it; we used him last year. Anyone have an email address for Greasy Creek Friendly? How far(by car) is the nearest town from Greasy Creek? Whats there(restaurants?) Any other info to share?

Thanks, Bigben

swjohnsey
01-02-2015, 16:05
The Greasy Creek Friendly was interesting when I was there. She had a dilapidated Ford she was shuttling folks around in. There is a little burger place on the side of the highway that she will take you to.

saltysack
01-02-2015, 16:07
I hiked from iron mtn gap back to mountain Harbour hostel last February..don't recall any parking at gap but they offered a very fair price for safe parking and shuttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twilight
01-02-2015, 18:33
I was able to leave my car at the Greasey Creek Friendly. Connie used my car to shuttle us to our start of our hike and we hiked back to the "Friendly". There is a side trail down to the "Friendly". Connie was very nice and accommodating. Don't expect the Taj Mahal, though. But everything was efficient and in order. I hear she is a good cook, too. Might be nice to end your hike there. I think there are pictures here on whiteblaze of her and her place.

Twilight

Studlintsean
01-02-2015, 18:45
There is a small parking area at Iron Mountain Gap. I can't comment on parking there though (shuttle dropped me there).

sureaboutthis
01-02-2015, 19:27
I'm pretty sure it's like 20 miles to Erwin, TN from there. The address I have for her is 1827 Greasy Creek Rd, Bakersville, NC. Had to send her a check because my card expired and I hadn't gotten the other and I had no cash.

Connie was great. She was totally willing to work with me on the whole having no cash thing. I did some work on her desktop, laptop, and printer and paid my way that way. It was a very calm and humble place. She had all sorts of food and alcohol for sale for those who wanted it.

Sly
01-03-2015, 03:06
The phone number is (828) 688-9948

Ground Control
01-03-2015, 10:24
I stayed there in 2013. Connie is a kind soul and true trail angel.

She shuttled me into town for a badly needed meal & ATM. She was knowledgeable about this section of the trail and cooked an excellent breakfast. After a rough few days of rain and hardships, she saved my hike.

wornoutboots
01-03-2015, 11:03
I stayed there a few years ago, Connie is a great asset to the trail & is a hard worker. I patronize these places since they pour their heart out to hikers & really appreciate any business they can get from the trail.

Frye
01-03-2015, 13:08
Would anyone happen to have an email for the lady who runs this hostel?

bigben
01-03-2015, 13:16
Thanks to all. I'll get in touch with her in the upcoming months, but will probably stay there. In the bunkhouse. I saw some pics of that big ole cat she has, and that would kill my allergies;-)

Logistical sidenote: we'd drive down from Cincinnati, park, shuttle to Sams Gap that same day. Depending on the time/weather, etc, Bald Mtn shelter would be our first nights stop. If running late, where is a good camp spot between Sams Gap and Bald Mtn shelter?

SteelCut
01-03-2015, 13:20
If you get a late start from Sam's Gap, you can camp at Low Gap campsite. It's about 4 miles from Sam's Gap and is a fairly easy hike in. The spring there seems reliable.

bigben
01-03-2015, 13:57
If you get a late start from Sam's Gap, you can camp at Low Gap campsite. It's about 4 miles from Sam's Gap and is a fairly easy hike in. The spring there seems reliable.

Perfect, thank you. That's what I was thinking. Confident we can rock those miles in short order. Going up and over Bald Mtn might take a little longer than we may have if delayed.

Sly
01-03-2015, 14:03
Would anyone happen to have an email for the lady who runs this hostel?

I believe it's [email protected]

Frye
01-03-2015, 15:41
Hey thanks a ton Sly. I have a very close connection to the area (Hell, even the road her place is on!) and would love to drop in during my thru this year.

tagg
01-03-2015, 22:21
I parked a car at iron mountain gap for about four days with no problem. There was a gravel parking area big enough for a few cars.

MuddyWaters
01-03-2015, 23:20
The Rohlands website lists Iron Mountain Gap as average, but there is no recent data.

Rain Man
01-05-2015, 13:53
When my daughter and I section-hiked through there some years ago, we stopped and stayed at her place. She was sweet as could be and very accommodating. I don't mean to add to her work load, but we asked her to pick up a couple of special request items for us on her grocery run before we would be arriving. She was happy to do that for us!

I have always given the Greasy Creek Friendly two big thumbs up. Truly one of the quirky places that make the AT so interesting and I mean that in a good way.

Here's a pic of Connie (CC) and Grass in the hostel, though Grass and I stayed in the home itself.

Rain Man

Almost There
01-05-2015, 14:29
Stayed there back in 2007, no hostel just the house that we stayed in. I remember good food and folks. Connie was great and shuttled us the next day.

Tennessee Viking
01-05-2015, 15:09
If Connie can't shuttle, check with 10-K at hikershuttles.com.

rustmd
01-05-2015, 18:01
early april 2014 section hike w/ my hiking buddy. . .we were truly saved in a raging ice storm by connie of greasy creek FRIENDLY hostel. connie showed us the most excellent hospitality. . .she is a gem. call her and she will most likely do whatever she can for you. she runs a true & honest business.

.com

Brakelight
01-11-2015, 11:25
"Friendly" definitely belongs in the name of that place. It's great and Connie is super sweet! She shuttled me from there to Uncle Johnny's back in 2006 and it was a great experience.

RED-DOG
01-12-2015, 10:36
I have stayed at Greasy Creek Friendly Hostel, twice, C C and her hostel is great, except she has a neighbor that is like really rude to her quest, like he will ride his riding mower around all night and the climb back up to the AT is a little aggrevating but other than that it's a alright place to stay.

Personally I feel that Greasy Creek Friendly is too close to Uncle Johnnies "Erwin TN" I usually stay in a hostel about once a week or two, I would get enough supplies in Erwin to last until Kincora ( Hampton TN ).

Sirsnappy09
01-12-2015, 12:16
Great palce-- the neighbor is a certified nut-case!