PDA

View Full Version : Day pack essentials ?

VA Vince
01-02-2015, 19:08
Not new to hiking, well maybe after a 20 year hiatus. My wife and I are ready to jump back in and I was wondering if a place like REI had the 10 essentials bundle to buy. Also is there anything else I should/would need? As of now it will be just day hikes, 5-10 milers. Thanks,

Vince

Connie
01-02-2015, 19:21
Don't fall in the 10 essential "items" trap.

It is the 10 essential systems.

Read my website, 10 essentials, at my signature.

Absolutely no ads, no sales there.

If I were starting out, I would find a comfortable backpack at 40-45 liter capacity. I would purchase only lightweight or UL items, one or two at a time, not more. The other way, often the best way, is to purchase the backpack last. That advice is usually reserved for really getting back into backpacking.

I would provide for overnight, right away, because the unplanned overnight is the problem for "day-hikes".

If I knew the place and the weather is entirely reliable, I might go out with a big lumbar pack, for extra clothing, food and water. I would still have a map and compass on my packstrap or wrist.

VA Vince
01-02-2015, 19:37
Don't fall in the 10 essential "items" trap.

It is the 10 essential systems.

Read my website, 10 essentials, at my signature.

Absolutely no ads, no sales there.

If I were starting out, I would find a comfortable backpack at 40-45 liter capacity. I would purchase only lightweight or UL items, one or two at a time, not more. The other way, often the best way, is to purchase the backpack last. That advice is usually reserved for really getting back into backpacking.

I would provide for overnight, right away, because the unplanned overnight is the problem for "day-hikes".

If I knew the place and the weather is entirely reliable, I might go out with a big lumbar pack. Extra clothing, food and water. I would still have a map and compass on my packstrap or wrist.

Thanks Connie. I have a nice 3 day pack I will be using as I am always prepared for whatever comes my way. I live 30 minutes from the trail/skyline and used to hike a good bit but being prepared is what I am always after. I will be reading your site, thanks again.

Damn Yankee
01-02-2015, 19:48
Where do you live VA Vince? I'm in Staunton, maybe not to far away and we can get together sometime

VA Vince
01-03-2015, 10:17
DY, I am in Orlean, Outside of Warrenton off of rt211.

Bigfoot86
01-04-2015, 02:24
Im in front royal and would love to meet up and do some hiking whenever if you would like

HeartFire
01-04-2015, 07:32
for winter day hikes, like Connie said, make sure you have at the minimum an emergency bivy (http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/survival/shelter/survive-outdoors-longer-emergency-bivvy.html) you need some protection from the ground - I carry half (5 sections) of a z-ridge (http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/search_Thermarest-Closed-Cell-Foam-Sleeping-Pads____) This will get you through a night alive.- think bitter cold day, you sprain, break and ankle just 1 mile from the trail head - someone has to go back and get help, it may only take 20 min to get back, but another 40 min to return with help. How will you be able to sit on the freezing ground that long? the cold ground will suck the heat right out of your body.
Always bring a head lamp, tiny first aid kit,