PDA

View Full Version : MA to VA

theshah
01-03-2015, 02:22
First post so, hello all!

For the past 5 months now I have been planning out a cross country hike. I have most recently planned out the majority of my route, and have decided to include the AT in the beginning portion of my trip (as I reside in MA). My reasoning for picking the AT over other routes is that although it may detour me a bit I prefer the tradeoff to a more scenic experience and bypassing all major cities in the north east that I would otherwise encounter.

Now to my question, I will be starting from Great Barrington, MA and ending my time on the AT in Waterloo, VA. I am trying to create a realistic schedule/pace for myself and have come to the conclusion that traveling between these two points should take me no more then a month to complete. How far off is this estimate? Is there anything important I should be aware of for this section?

Miner
01-03-2015, 03:33
How heavy is you backpack going to be and how good of shape will be be in when you start? How much experience do you have with long distance hiking? You give no information why you think your estimate is realistic. Some hikers do that section much slower then others. And those without experience often find themselves taking far more time off in town to rest and recover then they expect.

I'm planning a similar section hike of North Adams, MA to Harpers Ferry, WV. I've already done the northern 600 miles of the AT and assume the next 570 miles will be easier. I also have a PCT thru-hike under my belt. I'll be starting in decent shape having done several shorter 20 mile/day backpacking trips prior to my start on much better graded trail then the AT is. I'll have a 9.5 to 10 pound baseweight for my backpack. I'm assuming a late Sept start in order to experience the fall colors so I will have shorter hours of daylight to hike in then someone hiking in July. My planning has it taking 30-32 days with no zeros included. I actually expect it to take a couple of days less time, but you should always be conservative in your planning. Even shortening your daily mileage by 1 mile on a long trek can add days.

Issues you may face: The mid-atlantic states can be hot and humid in summer which can take a lot out of you when you are exerting yourself. I'd rather have the coolness of spring or fall (spring having more bugs). Penn has a lot of ankle twisting rocks (especially the northern part) and NY may have more of them then most people think. Some streams can dry out later in summer meaning having to carry more water. I'm assuming you already know how bad the AT conditions are compared to other trails that use more switchbacks.

theshah
01-03-2015, 03:55
Ah, sorry for the lack of detail. I plan to start my trip mid spring. As far as long distance hiking goes, my experience is limited; but I am young, fit, with high stamina. I was an athlete in high school, and do have some hiking experience. I have climbed to summits in the White Mountains, Monadnock, and few others (some of which I have completed several times over). And I do have some experience living out of a backpack as I spend a few days annually in Maine paddling.

As far as backpack weight goes, I'm not quite sure as of yet. There is some equipment that I'll be needing for the rest of my trip, but will simply weigh me down during the AT so I will have to mail these things ahead. I haven't compiled an exact checklist yet though, so it's hard for me to calculate.

Malto
01-03-2015, 09:11
That section is relatively straightforward and by far the easiest section of the AT. A hiking fit, motivated, lightweight hiker would be able to do that section in your timeframe. BUT, do you fit that bill? With two posts and a vague description, nobody on here could possibly answer that question. You are inexperienced which isn't a bad thing, it's just a thing. There is a world of difference between the activities you describe and long distance hiking. I would highly recommend getting out as much as possible before you leave. You will greatly increase your chances of achieving that timeframe. I would love to hear your total proposed route if you don't mind sharing.

theshah
01-03-2015, 23:54
Thank you for your input Malto, as for my current route I plan to take backroad through my own state of MA westward towards Great Barrington. From Great Barrington I will take the AT all the way to Waterloo, VI. The reason Waterloo is my end point is due to the fact that it intersects with US Route 50, the road I will be following for the vast majority of my journey west, at least until I reach St. Louis (with small detours along the way, such as when I approach Cincinnati and Route 50 becomes an interstate no long legal for pedestrians). On approach to St. Louis, the historic route 66 comes along just as route 50 once against turns into an interstate, which I intend to follow until it meets up once again with route 50 further west. I will also be spending some time following route 6 toward the last leg of the trip (all in all Route 50, the AT, Historic Route 66, and Route 6 will be my primary vessels west.).

Sly
01-04-2015, 03:18
From US 7 in Great Barrington to US 50 in VA it's 532 miles. Twenty miles a day will allow for about 4 days off (or one day a week). For the most part it's fairly easy trail in that section, so if you're young and fit, you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

The Thru-Hikers' Companion linked in my signature will help with logistics as well at the AT Mailing Label page

Blissful
01-06-2015, 21:52
Doubt you can do it in a month. Give yourself time to acclimate. Rocks are a big issue too, and tender feet won't be used to it.

burger
01-07-2015, 01:06
Are you really planning to walk US 50 to St. Louis? Oy, that sounds awful. Why not just do the American Discovery Trail?

theshah
01-08-2015, 12:31
Are you really planning to walk US 50 to St. Louis? Oy, that sounds awful. Why not just do the American Discovery Trail?

Not just to St. Louis, but all the way across to Santa Monica, CA. It's been done before several times, and advice I have received from all people who have done it is to avoid sticking to the American Discovery Trail, as in it adds hundreds of unnecessary miles to a journey which already has enough bends and curves. Using the ADT could adda month or two to my time to complete.