PDA

View Full Version : walking speed on the trail

Footprint
01-03-2015, 13:06
Hello

I am a newbie and wanted to know an "average" speed of walking on the trail. I will be doing the VA part of the trail from rock fish to compton which is about 100 miles. I have 8 days of actual hiking to accomplish this due to work and time off allowed. I am wondering if i am allowing myself too much time or not enough.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

swjohnsey
01-03-2015, 13:17
Between 10 and 20 miles per day. You should be able to make 100 miles in 8 days if you are in reasonable shape.

Coffee
01-03-2015, 13:22
I did that section in about 4 1/2 days, with the first day at 12 miles starting late morning at Rockfish Gap. I am not sure what the average speed is in SNP, but the park has provided a number of sample itineraries for walking the AT through the park. Check it out:

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_at_trips.htm

If your overall level of fitness is good and your pack weight isn't too high, I don't see any reason why the 100 miles can't be covered in eight days.

Footprint
01-03-2015, 13:44
Thanks to all for the info. Im in good shape and my trip is in May so daylight is on my side. My goal is to do 100 miles and still be able to stop enjoy everything around me as well. Thanks for the link as well.

Rocket Jones
01-03-2015, 14:41
It's not just how fast you walk, it's how long you walk each day.

MuddyWaters
01-03-2015, 15:14
Its all your shape, your pack weight, your footwear fit, type, and other personal issues.
Even something like wrong clothing that causes chafing, can severly cut your mileage.

Nobody can tell you what you can do. They can only say what others have.
Sometimes thats applicable. Sometimes it isnt.

Miner
01-03-2015, 15:56
Talking about waking speed is pointless. It should be about daily mileage. The number of miles you walk everyday isn't just about how fast you hike but how long you hike as well.

Some people hike fast over just 8 hours and do a lot of miles. Other people hike slow, but get up at dawn and hike to dusk and do a lot of miles. Others get up late, hike slow, stop early and do low miles. Obviously, there are people who fall in between these types. But the question is, what kind of hiker are you?

I've seen guys in their 60's being the second type of hiker and doing the same miles as the young fit guys being the 1st type of hiker. I started out as the 3rd type doing weekend trips, but as I started to get more into long distance hiking, I became more of the second type. For many long distance hikers, doing your daily miles becomes your daily job. Some people try to get it over with quickly, and others just try to get it done by the end of the day. If you are the type that prefers to put it off til tomorrow, you'll take longer to get there.

Odd Man Out
01-03-2015, 16:27
Here's what I did. Last summer I did my first hike in a very long time and being 55 YO, I'm a bit out of shape. This was in central VA (near Roanoke). I had six days set aside. I did about 12 miles per day, which included about 1800' elevation gain and drop per day, but after day 4 one knee got sore. I took a day off and then hiked up to McAfee knob and back down for day 6. YMMV (literally).

imscotty
01-03-2015, 16:28
I'm fat old and in terrible shape and here in New England I typically average just 1 mph. That said, I can still hike a 15 mile day. I think the most important consideration is how long you are willing to hike, not how fast can you hike.

Dogwood
01-03-2015, 17:04
Hello

I am a newbie and wanted to know an "average" speed of walking on the trail. I will be doing the VA part of the trail from rock fish to compton which is about 100 miles. I have 8 days of actual hiking to accomplish this due to work and time off allowed. I am wondering if i am allowing myself too much time or not enough.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks to all for the info. Im in good shape and my trip is in May so daylight is on my side. My goal is to do 100 miles and still be able to stop enjoy everything around me as well. Thanks for the link as well.

You're golden! Enjoy the trip. Drink a blackberry shake, commune safely w/ the wildlife, do a side hike to some waterfalls, take in dinner at Skyline, wash some laundry, taste the raindrops, splash in some puddles, let the sunshine deep into your soul, get dirty, do a cloud survey, eat something you've found in Nature, meet some "interesting" folks, and have yourself a great time.

saltysack
01-03-2015, 17:06
I'm 40 yo in good shape 2.5-3 mph avg. my 8 yo avg 2 in southern AT...2 mph is reasonable guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kerosene
01-03-2015, 17:44
Most people in reasonable shape can average 2.0 mph for several hours. Of course, hourly breaks, stopping to smell the roses, and long meals can cut into your overall average over the course of a day.

In the 70's I averaged 2.5 mph carrying a 40-pound pack in the Mid-Atlantic states in my teens and twenties.

In the 2000's, as a fit 40-something, I averaged between 2.0-2.5 mph over the course of a day in Virginia. In New England, however, that average was more like 1.1-1.5 mph as the trail is so much more rugged (plus my knees were starting to give out by my late-40s).

You will figure out your hourly pace once you get your "trail legs" after 2-4 days. If you're reasonably fit (meaning you have good aerobic capacity and you are familiar with what it takes to grind uphill for an hour or two at a time) then you should have no problem averaging 12-13 miles per day. I suggest that you start out with 10-12 mile days, and around day 4 pump it up to 15-17. The biggest problem I've seen with young backpackers, fit or not, is that they're feeling good and push themselves to crank out 20-mile days. You can certainly do it, but your risk of joint/muscle injury (knee, ankle, foot) is greatly increased. By starting a bit slower you give your physique a bit of time to adjust.

CarlZ993
01-03-2015, 18:30
I averaged 2 mph for the entire AT (I recorded my starting & ending time each day). A little slower in the beginning. Faster in the middle. Slower in NH & ME.

The problem with an section hiker (or a Thru-hiker starting out) is that it takes a while to get your trail legs under you. By 100 miles, you haven't reached that point yet. If you're in shape & carry a light pack, your journey will be more enjoyable. Also, start hiking earlier in the day. It will give you some flexibility on your itinerary.

Footprint
01-03-2015, 19:21
Thanks to everyone for the input. I am taking it all as fact and noting accordingly. I appreciate the responses. Thanks a million

UTVolyaker
01-08-2015, 09:54
Please give us an update on how long it takes you and lessons learned - I plan to do this hike next year on Spring Break and was thinking it might take 9-10 days. Good luck!

hikernutcasey
01-08-2015, 11:43
The problem with an section hiker (or a Thru-hiker starting out) is that it takes a while to get your trail legs under you. By 100 miles, you haven't reached that point yet.This is true and the reason why I try to stay active and exercise regularly and try to be in the best shape I can before every section hike I take. It makes all the difference in the world as far as being able to better enjoy your hike. The last thing I want to do on one of a couple trips each year is to go and be miserable. Being in shape before you go helps you enjoy your hike so much more.

On a typical section hike for me I will hike between 16 and 18 miles per day at an average pace of 2 to 2.5 mph. I can start early, take a few breaks, take a lunch and enjoy some scenery along the way and still make it to camp by 5 or 6 in the evening no problem.

peakbagger
01-08-2015, 12:27
My usual guide for planning week long section hikes down south was plan for 14 mile days and if the going was good, I could usually do 16 to 18 with 8 hours of actual hiking plus lunch and breaks. I found that as the week went on I could add more hours per day. One thing that makes a big difference for me is to force myself to take a 5 to 10 minute break everyhour. It feels a bit foolish int he AM but makes a difference over the course of the day

Almost There
01-09-2015, 10:56
Hiked Shenandoah last summer, and you should have an easy time of it if you are in good shape. I routinely had about 12 miles in by noon each day without feeling like I was killing myself. I had a 27 mile day in there somewhere, but mostly averaged between 17 and 22 miles a day. The 27 mile day is when I tried to get a room a lodge that was full so I hiked on to almost the next lodge (Skyland), and then got up and hiked in for the breakfast buffet. 8 days should be no problem at all to do 100. Some of my favorite hiking on the trail, saw five bears the day I left the park.

cbg
01-09-2015, 11:32
As an old man that is not in the best of condition I have a method that works for me. Start hiking no later than 7:00am and take a long lunch break from 12:00-1:00. I try to get around 10 miles in before lunch and then get another 3-5 miles after lunch. The afternoon part of the hike is more of a stroll at a relaxed & slow pace.

Praha4
01-09-2015, 12:14
I average about 2 mph, sometimes 2.5 mph on the AT. On the flatter Fla Trail, I can average 3 mph, but on the AT hills it's slower.

booney_1
01-09-2015, 12:39
Including breaks, I would plan on 1 to 1.5 mph. I use this number because you are a self-described newbie. It's almost impossible go guess what kind of shape you are in, or your pack weight. As far as daily mileage, it's hard to tell if you are a sunrise to sunset hiker, or if you'll knock off at 3 or 4.

I've hiked with a lot of older scout groups (15-18), and this is the speed they hike. Compared to older people, they hike faster, but take longer more frequent breaks.

Hiking 2 to 2.5 miles an hour for an 8 hour day with a backpack...is really tough for a newbie..

How often have you taken a 10 mile hike WITHOUT a backpack?

I'd advise a newbie...to plan on no more than 10 miles a day.

Also...the phrase "in shape" means different things to many people. I run 40 miles a week at a pretty good pace, but if I have not been hiking in a while, I feel it. My legs and feet will be sore. You use different muscles hiking with a backpack than almost anything activity.

I think for an enjoyable experience, plan on a couple early "bail" spots. You don't want a forced march the last couple of days...

earlyriser26
01-09-2015, 15:24
1.5 miles per hour including stops.

Rolls Kanardly
01-09-2015, 16:06
29480Okay I know, I have way to little to do today. Rolls

Kraken Skullz
01-09-2015, 19:41
2.5 mph is a pretty brisk pace believe it or not. It depends on your company and destinations. My 53 yr old dad pushes me with his pace but he is more of a hare to my tortoise. Come mile 15 he is ready to quit while I have another 5 in me.

CarlZ993
01-10-2015, 14:00
1.5 miles per hour including stops.
I used this estimate for many years. Works well. Just note that if you're in shape, have a light pack, & keep your breaks brief, you can average more than this. Use it as a base-line for planning & be surprised when you go farther and/or get there sooner.

kayak karl
01-10-2015, 14:44
Your walking speed will be YOUR walking speed. Your walking style will be YOUR walking style.This is the main reason i hike alone. I don't have to adjust it for anyone :)
Numbers will always change. Weather, grade, temperature, your health that day and even how you mental feel that day. Never apologize for your speed !

slovakiasteph
01-10-2015, 15:06
My average speed is one mile per hour when I'm going uphill-- two miles per hour downhill or on level ground (not much of that on the AT).

I'm in okay shape (don't really exercise other than hiking occasionally), but fairly young. I can hike just fine, but wearing the pack wears me out.

Something to look at when planning trips is where you'll stop for the night-- if you're comfortable stopping anywhere, you have more options. If you only want to stay at/near shelters, your mileage can be limited depending on where the shelters are.

fredmugs
01-10-2015, 16:59
One of the biggest lessons I've learned is to hike at about 75% of the max speed I could probably hike at given the current terrain. I could hike at 3+ MPH but that tends to give me blisters, sore knees, etc and wanting to take breaks quicker. By backing down the pace I can do way more miles a day. Personally at the end of the day I usually average a little over 2 MPH after factoring in breaks.

RED-DOG
01-10-2015, 17:49
I average between 18 to 22+MPD, 8 days is plenty of time to do that section.