PDA

View Full Version : The worldwide impact of Ramen noodles....

stupe
10-25-2005, 17:59
Thought this might be worthy of some trail gourmet's interest.....
COAMILPA, Mexico - Only 3 years old, Leon Gustavo Davila Hinojosa is still learning to speak Spanish. But the precocious youngster already knows a bit of Japanese: "Maruchan."

That's a brand of instant ramen noodles that to him means lunch. Leon's grandmother stocks them in her tiny grocery store in this hamlet 40 miles southwest of the capital. The preschooler prefers his shrimp-flavor ramen with a dollop of liquid heat.

"With salsa!" he said exuberantly at the mention of his favorite noodle soup.

Through the centuries, Moorish spices, French pastries and Spanish citrus have left lasting impressions on Mexico's cuisine. Now Japanese fast-food noodles, first imported here in the 1980s, are filling pantries across the country.

For the rest of the article....
http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051024/REPOSITORY/510240338/1013/NEWS03

neo
10-25-2005, 18:58
i have some great raman noodle recipes :cool: lneo

Teatime
10-26-2005, 01:37
:banana I've said it before and I'll say it again...Korean Ramen Rules!:banana

sierraDoug
10-26-2005, 02:17
Isn't ramen just wheat noodles? White flour? With msg and salt and flavoring added? What's so great about that? Where's the beef? Or nutrition, or lasting power? Humbug.

Teatime
10-26-2005, 04:14
Go to an Asian Market and ask for one of the Korean brands of Ramen. Make sure to get the spicey kind. Sutah (Sootah) Ramen is my favorite. It is very tasty and packed with calories. Good hiking food.
Isn't ramen just wheat noodles? White flour? With msg and salt and flavoring added? What's so great about that? Where's the beef? Or nutrition, or lasting power? Humbug.

fiddlehead
10-26-2005, 08:22
In Thailand there is huge varieties of Ramen style noodles. The most expensive ones have 3 or even 4 flavor packs. If you add them all, it is very spicy (even by Thai standards) and rich tasting. Much different than the small choices you get in the states.
I still can't eat them anymore.
Hiked with them too much and they turn my stomach for years now.
but i do usually keep one in my pack for an emergency meal. I just hope i don't have to eat it.

rickb
10-26-2005, 09:38
Humbug.

:D

Yea, but they are really cheap, portioned correctly, and cook real fast.

I usually treat the flavor packets like toxic waste, and replace them with an instant soup mix (a creamy one), then add some chicken or tuna or such.

Bland, but filling!

Where are your recipies Neo-- I need some help.

DMA, 2000
10-26-2005, 20:57
Add a little meat, some mushrooms, spinach, onions, peanut sauce, garlic, and an egg and you've got a meal. I also like to boil off most of the water.

Hammock Hanger
10-26-2005, 21:18
In Thailand there is huge varieties of Ramen style noodles. The most expensive ones have 3 or even 4 flavor packs. If you add them all, it is very spicy (even by Thai standards) and rich tasting. Much different than the small choices you get in the states.
I still can't eat them anymore.
Hiked with them too much and they turn my stomach for years now.
but i do usually keep one in my pack for an emergency meal. I just hope i don't have to eat it.
I went to the Asian Market today. It was laughable to see me looking at the packages, everything was in Korean, Japanese, etc.... :o So I bought some pretty packages and now I will try some and see what I got. I am wondering if they are more substantial and tastier then those cheap 6 for $1.00 ones you get at the local market.:-?

badinfluence
11-03-2005, 13:49
Man, I pack soooo many on the trail. Throw in a little canned chicken and you have a meal.

I like the Thai (I think their Thai) brand called UFO. They have a curry noodle one that just plain rocks! The noodles look a little like egg noodles, but feel like thicker Ramen noodles.

Jonathan

saimyoji
11-03-2005, 18:39
UFO is originally Japanese, but you may have found one marketed for sale in Thailand.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0006B6RAK/002-8271532-1597603?v=glance

sarbar
11-03-2005, 19:22
I work for this company and we carry a lot of nummy noodles..and yes Thai's love to put in many spice/oil packets. "American" ramen is boring if you think about it. Of all the types we carry, the Tom Klong bowls are my fave-the bowl isn't needed either, it can be repackaged-the bowl is cool. I also love the Mama instant Pad Thai 10 packs.
http://importfood.com/noodlesrice.html

Freighttrain
11-03-2005, 19:35
1 pack of nissan top ramen has

360 caleries
7g saturated fat
14g total fat
52g total carbs
10g protein
dietary fiber 2g

not too bad for something that costs a dime at dollar general

SGT Rock
11-03-2005, 20:48
Add lots of hot sauce and some dried veggies for a great taste. Heck, even adding some jerky tastes good.

I have also done a meal with spam, ramen, and mashed potatoes all in the same bowl - yummy!

Nightwalker
11-05-2005, 13:55
Add a little meat, some mushrooms, spinach, onions, peanut sauce, garlic, and an egg and you've got a meal. I also like to boil off most of the water.
I add dehydrated sausage and ground beef, dehydrated veggies, enough water to cover, bring to a boil and cozy for 15. No simple meal. Leave out the veggies, no cozy needed. Bring to a boil, wait 5, eat, grin.

Ewker
11-09-2005, 10:35
cold ramen salad is great. Pour the ramen noodles in a quart freezer bag (throw away the spice packet or save it), add 2 tablespoons dehydrated mixed veggies and 1.5 cups of cold water. Let it sit for 90 minutes (while hiking), pour water out. Add pepperoni or cheese and a small packet of ranch dressing. Mix and eat.

sarbar
11-09-2005, 10:54
cold ramen salad is great. Pour the ramen noodles in a quart freezer bag (throw away the spice packet or save it), add 2 tablespoons dehydrated mixed veggies and 1.5 cups of cold water. Let it sit for 90 minutes (while hiking), pour water out. Add pepperoni or cheese and a small packet of ranch dressing. Mix and eat.
If you use freeze dried veggies, it only needs to sit for 10-15 minutes :)

Ewker
11-09-2005, 14:54
cool, I will remember that. I know i have told you before but it is a great website you have