PDA

View Full Version : May Start?

RainbowDash
01-03-2015, 21:51
I was thinking of starting in May instead of April in order to save a little more money and maybe avoid the April 1st crowds. Opinions?

MuddyWaters
01-03-2015, 22:52
another recent post on this topic.
Its really all up to you.

money is good.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/108189-NOBO-vs-SOBO?p=1933534&highlight=#post1933534

map man
01-04-2015, 19:32
If you have good reason to believe that you can complete the trail in five months or less (or you don't mind doing some kind of flip-flop), then early May is a good time to start. Less people, less cold weather to start your hike. And there are some hikers who start in early May every year so you won't be altogether bereft of fellow thru-hiker hopefuls for company, including many near your age who have been awaiting college graduation before they can start.

Frye
01-05-2015, 20:23
N. Virginia and Maryland around July doesn't sound very fun. It's pretty much just a hot oily like mist.

Malto
01-05-2015, 20:51
I would guess that the typical May starter will hike the trail faster than an early April starter due to less distractions, a sense of urgency and less time off for crappy weather. Even starting in may you have 6 months if you are willing to go to 10/1. But in order to save money, you will spend less time in town so again you will likely do a faster hike. So, I see no problem with your plan.

If I were hiking the AT NOBO I would start somewhere around May 1st. But I also have a long trail completed and have a good feel for the mileage I enjoy doing.

Malto
01-05-2015, 20:52
Sorry can't do math. Six months would be 11/1 which is too late to plan a finish.

Carbo
01-05-2015, 21:51
I was thinking of starting in May instead of April in order to save a little more money and maybe avoid the April 1st crowds. Opinions?

Maybe consider doing a flip, starting at Harpers Ferry in May heading north. You'll avoid the crowds plus have more time to complete the southern section after your hike north.

RainbowDash
01-06-2015, 21:43
Maybe consider doing a flip, starting at Harpers Ferry in May heading north. You'll avoid the crowds plus have more time to complete the southern section after your hike north. That sounds reasonable actually. I can be social (to a point) but I can't stand hanging around partiers. I'm not on the trail to party I'm on the trail to learn more about myself and what I am capable of. I don't drink or smoke so I probably wouldn't be able to socialize a ton anyway.

squeezebox
01-06-2015, 21:56
Seems like we have a small May 1 Harpers Ferry bubble started of older non-party folks, come and join us.

Carbo
01-06-2015, 22:57
Seems like we have a small May 1 Harpers Ferry bubble started of older non-party folks, come and join us.

I guess there is always the danger of making the thru into a party, not a memory.

RainbowDash
01-07-2015, 10:01
I think I will! I get along better with your generation anyway.

RainbowDash
01-07-2015, 10:03
I guess there is always the danger of making the thru into a party, not a memory.
The trail was made to "commune with nature" not "commune with the not so porcelain God after binge drinking"

ryjohnson09
01-08-2015, 22:48
I'm planning a 2016 NOBO hike but would like to start the day after my graduation, May 22nd. I know this is very late, but being an avid marathon runner, I'm not too worried. What do you guys think?

RainbowDash
01-09-2015, 11:56
I'm planning a 2016 NOBO hike but would like to start the day after my graduation, May 22nd. I know this is very late, but being an avid marathon runner, I'm not too worried. What do you guys think?
When ever you are hiking you have to add time for emergencies and zeros. I would be careful if I were you.

ryjohnson09
01-09-2015, 12:58
I agree...it's a bit risky. If I average 20 miles a day then I would have about 109 days to of hiking, or 3.6 months to finish. That would put me at mid September finish time. That way I still have about a month (until October 15th) of buffer for emergencies and zeros. Worst case scenario is that I flip flop and hike south from Katahdin.

AO2134
01-09-2015, 13:33

If I could do a thru hike, I would start in May. I have never done a thru hike so my opinions may be completely irrelevant, but here they are:

(1) I am confident I could do the trail in 5 months or less. Without having my "hiking legs", I can already do 16-18 mile days comfortable. To finish it in 120 days, you need to average just under 18.25 miles per day.
(2) Better weather = more miles per day.
(3) Warmer = more miles per day.
(4) Less crowded = more miles per day.
(5) Longer Days = more miles per day.
(6) Warmer = less weight to carry.

Again, I am not a thru hiker. I think I can barely be considered a section hiker. My longest trip is 5 days/4 nights. 99% of my trips are weekend trips.

I started backpacking this summer. I have backpacked about 400 miles since with over 200 on the AT.

ryjohnson09
01-09-2015, 14:34
I like your logic AO2134!

full conditions
01-09-2015, 15:11
I started my thru from Springer on May 15 because I was a high school student and that was the earliest I could get there. The southern Appalachians were very nice hiking but by the time I got to Pearisburg the heat and humidity became a real issue and it stayed that way until i got to New England. If I had it to do over again I would have taken the bus from around Roanoke up to Connecticut and gone NB to Baxter then SB from Connecticut back to Roanoke finishing maybe in early to mid November. There were plenty of other hikers out so I rarely got lonely but the definitely the heat and water situation of the mid-Atlantic states coupled with the anxiety of making to Baxter by October 15 made the trip less than ideal - mind you though, it was still an incredible experience.

AO2134
01-10-2015, 14:03

Not knowing your experience with hiking, I would do at least one longer section if you could. Get 1-2 5-6 day hikes under your belt. Maybe do the BMT (286 miles), the Bartram Trail (112 miles), the Foothills trail (77 miles) if you want to leave the AT for your thru hike.

As a general matter endurance is endurance. I have found hiking is a little different. I have taken up very fit people up for day hikes and they couldn't hang. I am not even that fast. Like I said, I do 16-18 miles comfortably (i.e., no difficulty, fairly leisurely hike where I get to camp without exerting crazy effort and generally can do it again day after day).

I would recommend doing a 5-6 day section hike to see how your running endurance translates into hiking endurance.

Someone brought up the summer heat, which I didn't think about and it is a good point. That will likely suck big time.

Again, having no experience thru hiking, at the pace I think you are going to be setting, I would do this. Wake up early go about 8 miles to next shelter. This should be easily done in 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Look where would be the next shelter or campsite with easy access to water. If close, hike to it and finish hiking by 12-1 pm. Hang out at shelter/campsite. Cook meal. hydrate. Chill. Once the main summer heat starts wears off (3 pm), start hiking again and hike until twilight. You can get 4-5 more hours of hiking. Another easy 9-13 miles.

Avoid the debilitation mid-day heat and still get the miles in. If I was hiking though, I would be stubborn and hike right through the midday heat. . .

ColleenGoldhorn
01-10-2015, 14:37
I am planning on starting in May as well because of college graduation. I am so happy to see that there will still be some people thru hiking after the bubble

4shot
01-10-2015, 14:38

doable....but, one thing that I think gets overlooked is the possible mental "strain" put on a hike when you are forced to maintain a rigid pace or schedule. (Even if it's to get to the next town before the PO closes before the weekend).That becomes more of a forced march than a hike. If I were starting that late, I would look at flipping to give myself the luxury of not having a schedule. I spent plenty of zero's, not because I was tired but I wanted to "soak up" the experience. I treated my hike like it was a "once in a lifetime" opportunity. Not saying i won't ever do another AT thru hike again but I'm not sure that I will either.

ryjohnson09
01-10-2015, 15:35
I wouldn't say I'm an expert backpacker but I hiked throughout high school (boy scouts) and I typically do 1 or 2 40 plus mile hikes a year. I will definitely try and get out this summer (2015) and do some longer hikes...you wants to join me?!

AO2134
01-10-2015, 15:43
I wouldn't say I'm an expert backpacker but I hiked throughout high school (boy scouts) and I typically do 1 or 2 40 plus mile hikes a year. I will definitely try and get out this summer (2015) and do some longer hikes...you wants to join me?!

I am always looking for someone to hike with. PM me when you know when you want to hike and we can see which trail/hike we can agree on.

Monkeywrench
01-10-2015, 20:20
I am confident I could do the trail in 5 months or less. Without having my "hiking legs", I can already do 16-18 mile days comfortable. To finish it in 120 days, you need to average just under 18.25 miles per day.

And if you take one day per week off then you have to add 3+ miles to each of the other six days to maintain your average. And if you get shin splints or an infected blister or tweak a knee and have to take a few days off to recover, you'll fall so far behind you'll have a wicked tough time getting back on schedule.

peakbagger
01-11-2015, 07:39
Hike north and then take a bus to Millinocket in around September 1st, then head south. This gets you out of the whites by October1st.

AO2134
01-12-2015, 08:29
And if you take one day per week off then you have to add 3+ miles to each of the other six days to maintain your average. And if you get shin splints or an infected blister or tweak a knee and have to take a few days off to recover, you'll fall so far behind you'll have a wicked tough time getting back on schedule.

I agree. Although I cited a 4 month completion time regarding miles per day, I did say I could do it in 5 months or less (i.e., up to 30 days of zeros). To finish in 150 days, it would be under 15 miles per day average. A very leisurely pace. Plus, I don't hike to be part of a "moving party." Barring injury, sickness, god awful weather, I can't see spending more than a full 24 hrs in town. If possible, I'd like to keep moving. Since on a bad day, I can do 8-10 miles by noon, neros won't hurt the average too much.

Ideally, I'd plan it to get to town around 1-2 after doing 10-12 miles. Get room for night. Resupply. Shower. Get a good night sleep on a comfortable bed and be out the next morning early. I cannot imagine under normal circumstances spending 2 days in town just because (i.e., non-injury, non-sickness, non-weather related).

Of course, nothing ever goes to plan. Injuries, sickness, weather happen. But that is why I said, I was confident to do it in 5 months. It would theoretically give me 30 extra days of hiking for the expected unexpected.