PDA

View Full Version : Capilene 3 or 4 for base layer southern Appalachians?

saltysack
01-04-2015, 10:42
I tend to sleep lil cold in my marmot helium 15 with cap 1 so looking to get another pair of bottoms....bought the cap 4 hoody a few years back.....love it for hiking in under 30 deg weather and sleep as well.....if dry...does seem to wick well! Looking to get warmer bottoms not sure which...any users of cap 3 or 4 bottoms....only use bottoms for sleeping...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frye
01-04-2015, 12:59
I wouldn't think the cap 4 is needed for Appalachia. I own all 4 in various styles and have never really found a good use for my cap 4. I typically bring a cap 2 zip for 95% of my backpacking, including this new years when the lows dipped down into the mid teens at night here.

If you really sleep that cold I would suggest down, the warmth to weight ratio is much better and you won't be saving much money buying the cap 4 anyways over a down shirt.

saltysack
01-04-2015, 17:17
I wouldn't think the cap 4 is needed for Appalachia. I own all 4 in various styles and have never really found a good use for my cap 4. I typically bring a cap 2 zip for 95% of my backpacking, including this new years when the lows dipped down into the mid teens at night here.

If you really sleep that cold I would suggest down, the warmth to weight ratio is much better and you won't be saving much money buying the cap 4 anyways over a down shirt.

Already have cap4 hoody top...love it...think it replaced R1 fleece...looking for bottoms only. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frye
01-04-2015, 18:13
My bad, read wrong.

STICK
01-04-2015, 18:34
I have some Cap 2 pants that are ok, I wouldn't say that they add much extra warmth though. I also have a pair of "Extreme Weight" Terramar pants, which are essentially the grid fleece pants, and they do add little extra warmth, however, that comes at a pretty heavy penalty. If all you are doing is wearing them for around camp, or to sleep in, I would suggest looking at a pair of down pants. Sure, they are a little more costly, but they offer much more warmth for the same, or less weight than the fleece long bottom pants. And of course, my suggestion is to go with GooseFeet Gear...

Kerosene
01-05-2015, 16:51
I would go with the Cap-3 bottoms, at least for the AT outside of Nov-Feb. If you think you need more warmth, then I'll second Frye's suggestion to invest in a pair of UL down pants (http://westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Down-Garments&cat=Pants) that you can also wear around camp.