PDA

View Full Version : Trekking pole tip repair

Just Tom
01-04-2015, 13:21
So I managed to snap the tip off my trekking pole. It does not look like the aluminum was damaged, just the plastic tip. Are these replaceable? Where would I find the parts to do so, and how would I know that it would fit these specific poles?

Thanks in advance!

Sarcasm the elf
01-04-2015, 13:38
Yes depending on the brand. Leki, black diamond and a couple other brands have replacement tips that are available online or at larger outfitters.

Praha4
01-04-2015, 13:42
I did the same thing with my Black Diamond Carbon Cork poles, you can buy replacement tips. They are a kind of "compression" fitting, you have to first remove the base of the old tip, then the new tip is inserted into the end of the pole. Hardest part of the process for me was removing the base of the old tip, but had some good advice here from some WBers on how to do it.

atraildreamer
01-04-2015, 13:42
The tips are very similar to studs used in snow tires. Try a tire shop. They'll probably give a couple if you ask nice. I don't know how you would remove the old tip. They are carbide and will chew up a drill bit. You could try heating the end of the pole with a propane torch to get the tubing to expand while twisting the broken tip with a pair of pliers to get the broken piece out. The you would have to press in the new tip. This whole process might just end up weakening the pole.

Why don't you just get a new pair?

Slo-go'en
01-04-2015, 13:46
The tips are just pressed on the end of the pole. I found the easiest way to remove them is to cup the pole just above the top of the plastic "boot" with a pair of piers and then whack the piers with a hammer. It helps if you have someone else hold the pole as you do this. With real stubborn tips you might have to cut away at the plastic with a hacksaw, but be real careful not to cut into the end of the pole.

Slo-go'en
01-04-2015, 13:53
The problem I found with my Leki poles is the plastic boot doesn't have a shoulder behind the carbide tip to keep it from being pushed up into the boot. The carbide tip is not anything like those used on snow tires. It is much longer and had a knurled ring around the side to hold it into the boot. The only option is to replace the whole assembly. A pair of new tips run about $20 so that's a lot less then spending $100 or more on new poles.

Ruffdude
01-04-2015, 14:09
I have those same poles and this tip http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032IPKRU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=16R46TMK63R02&coliid=I3OKXSCW8HLKU9&psc=1 will fit. It looks like you might just have some thread left on that broken pole to catch the replacement tip. I would drill out the inside of the pole and epoxy a pin in place to support the new tip. You'd be stuck using those tips instead of having the carbide tip but it would be functional again.

Just Tom
01-04-2015, 14:47
Just to be clear, it isn't the little carbide tip I was concerned about, but the whole plastic housing at the very end was snapped. You can see it in the picture. That is the piece that I'd like to replace if possible.

ocasey3
01-04-2015, 14:53
What brand of poles?

Just Tom
01-04-2015, 16:26
Kelty...they are kind of old, I don't think Kelty makes them anymore.

Connie
01-04-2015, 16:49
I think REI has a repair shop: the Tualitan, OR REI did.

If you purchase the replacement tips, the "plastic" is all-one with the replacement tips.

I understand it can be slipped off the shaft, the replacement tips glued on. How? Ask REI repair, if they would do it.

I think there are only one or two diameter pole shafts. I would think one or the other brand replacement tips would serve.

scrabbler
01-04-2015, 17:30
Kelty...they are kind of old, I don't think Kelty makes them anymore.

Pro Tip - When you don't know, call them. They just might know an easy or cheap (if lucky, free to you) way to repair them.

u.w.
01-04-2015, 17:57
Check out you-toob, there's a couple of videos that show replacing the whole plastic tip part.
Here's a link to one of them (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykp55eqJGq8)
In the videos, they simply dip the tips in boiling water for ~30 seconds, and then pull the whole plastic end right off. For putting the new one(s) one, one guy re-did the boiling and pressed it on, and another just smacked it on via hitting the tip on the floor until he felt it was good.
There are A LOT of similarities to arrow shaft tip insert replacements (think archery) & what you're asking/talking about.
Boiling water, remove by pulling, epoxy new one in - Rock on. Consider that some arrows have to be cut to specified lengths to suit a specified draw length. So, a lot of the sports/outdoor stores who cater to archers should be familiar with what is needed.

u.w.

Traveler
01-05-2015, 09:10
There is an Eastern Mountain Sports store in Fairfield, CT (and other locations) that has a "workshop" for this kind of thing. They also stock a lot of the bits and parts for repairs like this, unless the pole used a proprietary part that the manufacturer no longer makes. They can help you make the repair and get the proper fitting replacement part.

Just Tom
01-05-2015, 10:36
Thanks everyone, I'll update with progress on my fix attempts.

Just Tom
01-15-2015, 09:47
Just a follow-up on this. I contacted Kelty and they did not know if some of the replacement parts I found from other manufacturers would fit the pole, but they did give me a 50% off, plus free shipping, coupon code to replace it. I was pretty happy about it since their poles only have a one-year warranty (well past expired on my poles) so they really didn't need to assist me at all.

Traveler
01-15-2015, 17:05
Just a follow-up on this. I contacted Kelty and they did not know if some of the replacement parts I found from other manufacturers would fit the pole, but they did give me a 50% off, plus free shipping, coupon code to replace it. I was pretty happy about it since their poles only have a one-year warranty (well past expired on my poles) so they really didn't need to assist me at all.

Looks like you got better than a good deal! Thanks for the follow up.