PDA

View Full Version : GPS tracker - "spot"

hikehunter
01-04-2015, 14:38
Does anyone know about the GPS tracker called the "Spot" ????

Does it work worth a poot??? They are on sale thru today 4Jan2015.

It would be nice for family and friends see my trip unfold along the AT.

Please keep comments to the tracker and the use of such a device. Thanks:D:-?:confused::-?

Hang R
01-04-2015, 17:43
I use one. This is not something that I see as necessary but it gave my family a peace of mind to feel comfortable with me going away. I have not had any issues with being tracked as I have read other people having issues. Just be aware that it needs a sight of view of the sky to be able to track the satellites. If it was up to me I would not have it and put the money towards more gear.

kayak karl
01-04-2015, 17:50
This is a map (https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zpuwwEfUeQXA.k7D9VG4LDJqw) i made with Spot. You can see large gaps in time where it could not reach satellite. i was fun for forum members to watch real time hike, but the fun wore off and i sold it. this was 2009, has been upgraded since then. had map on Trail Journals (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=258977). i carry an ARC now, but kayaking only.

HooKooDooKu
01-04-2015, 18:06
Where are you seeing the Spot on sale today?

A quick Google seems to show everyone is selling it for $150.

hikehunter
01-04-2015, 18:14
50% rebate from the maker.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
01-04-2015, 18:14
For what it's worth, I used my spot in 2011 2012 13 and 14th, my family and friends enjoyed being able to locate me on the map. I had to get off the trail a couple times in North Carolina no problem for my wife finding where to pick me up at Fontana Dam. I used it in a hundred mile wilderness from Maine this year and no problem , gave it to a friend to use to complete her trip ,shet send it back to me with a big thank you, their family also enjoyed tracking Mom and appreciated the additional peace of mind. If your family needs peace of mind I would think you would enjoy having it even if it is a little bit more weight . In case of a real emergency you will be glad to have it. Tic Toc

Offshore
01-04-2015, 18:15
They are currently on the the Spot website for 50% off. Prior to Christmas, I had gotten a couple of emails from Spot offering the device for free with activation.

I've been using a Gen 3 on solos for the last year or so and have been pleasantly surprised with how decent the GPS performance and battery life has been. They are supposed to be greatly improved over the Gen 2 and Gen 1 - I believe it. I think its great if you know its limitations. Its an emergency device with some limited non-emergency messaging capability, not a general communications device. The DeLorme has more messaging capabiity but for a significantly higher hardware and monthly service cost.

MuddyWaters
01-04-2015, 18:30
The DeLorme has more messaging capabiity but for a significantly higher hardware and monthly service cost.

The delorme inreach hardware cost is modestly higher, but you get 2 way text message capability, and can recieve weather texts as well.

The delorme service cost isnt higher, you can pay by month and inactivate it when not in use, which for most is the majority of the year.

The Spot, is really a horrible deal for what you get if you only use it a few times per year. Which is why they virtually give them away sometimes. Spot is quite underhanded as well when it comes to renewing your service plan. Know the restrictions and follow them, or you will be billed another $150 you didnt expect.

Debating the finer points of all these devices has been beat to death previously on BPL.

Battery issues come into play as well. At least the Spot is replaceable, you have to charge the InREach and with very modest use of tracking 2 weeks is all you will get.

Kraken Skullz
01-07-2015, 20:18
Sintax77 is a fan of the spot. He gets some good results from what I see on his site and in his YouTube videos. You might want to shoot him a message at sintax77.com or on his youtube page.

Offshore
01-08-2015, 09:45
The delorme inreach hardware cost is modestly higher

"Modestly higher" is really not how I would describe it. The DeLormes are at least twice as expensive.

Spot Gen3 - $150
DeLorme InReach SE - $300 (2x Spot Gen3)
DeLorme InReach Explorer - $380 (~2.5x Spot Gen3)

Pros and cons can of each platform be argued, but the prices are the prices.

Coffee
01-08-2015, 10:00
Total cost of ownership of the SPOT was far lower than the InReach when I made the decision to buy a unit last year. I paid around $70 for a Spot Gen 2 unit before a two week section hike of the AT and then I used it for a month on the Colorado Trail. Prior to owning a unit, I rented one for the JMT in 2013. Only a couple of check ins were ever missed and in those cases, I failed to wait for the requisite 20 minutes following the "message received" confirmation light. That's the big weakness of the Spot vs. the InReach. You have to wait about 20 minutes to ensure that the send cycle completes and this is confusing for many people because they assume that when the "message sent" light comes on, you are done. Well, that's not the case always. The full cycle has to complete over 20 minutes to be sure. In contrast, the InReach offers delivery confirmation. It also offers two way text capabilities.

The way I used the Spot, battery life was excellent. I typically checked in once a day at around lunch or at a landmark where I would be taking a break anyway. Then I would check in at camp. No tracking. I never changed the battery on the Colorado Trail over a month.

I pay $99/year for the Spot. My recollection is that even the cheapest option for the InReach would have worked out to a lot more than that for the amount of use I expect. It came down to whether I wanted the two way texting feature. I have very mixed feelings about being reachable in that way in the wilderness. It is probably more of a negative than a positive. True, you could bail out somewhere if there is an emergency at home. But there isn't much anyone can do for an emergency back home while on the trail anyway. And more likely would be mundane texts and the expectation of text communications on a more frequent basis than I would prefer.

Offshore
01-08-2015, 10:10
...It came down to whether I wanted the two way texting feature. I have very mixed feelings about being reachable in that way in the wilderness. It is probably more of a negative than a positive. True, you could bail out somewhere if there is an emergency at home. But there isn't much anyone can do for an emergency back home while on the trail anyway. And more likely would be mundane texts and the expectation of text communications on a more frequent basis than I would prefer.

+1 on that. I went with the SPOT because I wanted an emergency-only device that would work in areas where the cell phone may not - nothing more.

MuddyWaters
01-08-2015, 21:49
"Modestly higher" is really not how I would describe it. The DeLormes are at least twice as expensive.

I consider 150 modest. Thats a sack or two of groceries. I bought a rib roast for christmas dinner....$80 for a single roast. 150 is nothing anymore.

Inreach texting is 2 way, but if im not mistaken, you can only receive replys from people you send message to. I dont think you can be bothered by anyone.

The lowest delorme plan for intermittent use is 19 activate, 25 for freedom plan, and $15 /month when used. If you used it 1 month a year for 4 years, your delorme use could cost $180, your spot plan costn would be 400. More than diff in purchase price. Spots also have near zero resale value.

Kraken Skullz
01-11-2015, 22:45
Selfless plug here. If anyone is interested in a GPS, I have a Magellan Triton 2000 which is waterproof and has a 2MP camera listed in the For Sale section. It is new but in the opened original box.