PDA

View Full Version : REI yard sale today

rhinodyson
01-04-2015, 16:50
Plano TX waited in line for an hour 29 deg weather. Big disapointment. Not much inventory.

saltysack
01-04-2015, 17:02
Yep...I've been 2x here in Jax,Florida never found much Worth waiting for.....I assume stores closer to the mountains have more hiking gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhjanes
01-04-2015, 17:19
Glad I forgot about it. Only thing I ever got was an eyeglasses strap for like 50 cents.

Pajj
01-04-2015, 17:35
Major disappointment here in Richmond VA as well

hikehunter
01-04-2015, 18:58
I skipped the Plano, Tx sale as my broth knows a girl that works there....she said that what little they had was not really worth waiting for.

jimmyjam
01-04-2015, 19:09
Major disappointment here in Richmond VA as well

Glad I forgot about it.

Pajj
01-04-2015, 22:13
everything they had was just small little items that no one would really want. And it was all scattered throughout the store in a fashion that it was hard to find the items that were actually on sale. I saw maybe 2 or 3 packs, a few bigger bulkier tents, other than that just junk that would purely be bought for the sake of buying something

trbjr
01-05-2015, 00:20
Waited 3 hours at my local REI. Wasn't as much as previous trips. Most likely because the last on was only 1 1/2 months ago. But still scored on a Patagonia fleece jacket for 10 bucks. Retail 140. Planning on reselling as I have no use for it.

Getty
01-05-2015, 08:11
I found a Deuter Act Lite 65+10 pack that looks new for $80.00 and lots of good clothing buys for my girls in Columbus ,Ohio.

FlyFishNut
01-06-2015, 22:03
I went and braved the crowds and bought my wife a couple pairs of running shorts and I picked up a pair of Solomon Speedcross 3 trails shoes (to replace the ones my 17 yr old son borrowed and lost:mad:) marked down from $125 to $86.

I could have gotten those deals on the internet and not left my lazy boy....

damskipi
01-07-2015, 00:52
New girl (to both the Garage Sale and the forum - hi!! :)) - maybe these aren't great deals but I think I did pretty well! I'm just getting into backpacking and I was able to buy a lot of the major components for myself, including some duplicates that I can either sell or keep for spares/loans.

BA Copper Spur UL2 - new $400, paid $150. This was a display model, must have been one of the elevated ones because it's spotless.
REI Flash sleeping bag - new $269, paid $70. Used twice, was "not warm enough."
Sierra Designs Eleanor 19 sleeping bag - new $360, paid $70. Was "too warm." Tags are still on it.
Thermarest Xtherm - new $180, paid $50. Too short for previous owner, never used.
BA Insulated Q-Core SL - new $170, paid $8. Eight dollars! The material enclosing the valve had a leak. Temp fix of duct tape took three seconds. Holds air beautifully now. Will fix for real soon.
Jetboil Zip - new $80, paid $40. Used once, previous owner "didn't like the nozzle." Maybe not the best deal, but not bad.
Plus a few odds and ends...

I did lose out on the Gregory J63 I wanted to a woman in the wave before me. Brand new, tags still on it, the only thing wrong was a buckle had broken. She went inside and bought a new buckle and walked away happy.

TNhiker
01-07-2015, 01:00
Wow.....

you did really well.....

alot of people here will be jealous of those scores...

that pad you bought for eight bucks---bet it's still under warranty and BA will take care of it for ya....

and welcome to the forum......

damskipi
01-07-2015, 01:14
Thanks TNhiker! There was actually a ton of other good deals, but it would have been silly to buy more sleeping bags and pads when I'm just starting out. But definitely a lot to choose from - a guy in line behind me bought 8 sleeping pads, four sleeping bags, two tents, and a hammock.

trailblaser
01-07-2015, 05:34
I got dressed to go and changed my mind at the last min. Instead i went to see the movie "Wild" :)