PDA

View Full Version : cars

Joe Rogowski
01-04-2015, 22:01
hey i was wondering what everybody has done or is doing with their cars while they're on a thru. my car wont be used but will be registered till September and i don't want to pay the insurance on it and i dont want to hand in my tag but i know my license would be suspended if i dont have the insurance or turn the tag in. any insight would be helpfull

fiddlehead
01-04-2015, 23:32
I leave my car sit every year for 5-9 months.
All I do is disconnect the battery.
Usually when I get back, I have to put some air in the tires, and that's about it (after hooking up the battery of course)

As far as insurance, I only have the minimum required by law on it and just leave it that way.
I talked to my insurance man about this (he is a personal friend) and he said it's best to keep it insured as there's a very good chance that the rates will go up next time if I don't (I only pay about $220 a year), and it won't look good in the future for getting good rates.
So, that's why I leave it on .

I've been doing this for about 12 years now.
Some years I keep it in a garage, but not lately.
I do try to park it out of too much weather (hide it behind my shed)

Always best to check all fluids when you get back.

Good luck and Have fun.

dudeijuststarted
01-04-2015, 23:39
You might be crazy about your car now but you may not care about it (or many other things) during and after your thru. I sold my car and carried Driver's Insurance during my thru. Still carless 3 months later, and don't particularly care about what I will buy in the future, as I plan to sell whatever that is before my next thru hike!

MuddyWaters
01-04-2015, 23:46
different people will have different problems. What a 20 yr old pays in insurance, is likely a lot more than a 64, and could affect the decision. this has been discussed here before, use the search function.

Generally, probably best to keep the insurance if you can. You might want to drive at some point as well, especially when you get back.

Depending on where you leave a car, mice or rats can do damage as well. Nests underhood in air intake, chewing wiring and hoses, etc. Its really best to have someone drive it around a few miles every week.

Other problems, gas today goes bad in 30 days, but if you dont leave gas in the tank you will get condensation and possibly rust plugging up fuel pump , etc. Generally cars will run OK on old gas though, but it definitely degrades to varnish, loses all the octane rating, . Put fuel stabilizer in it.

Coffee
01-04-2015, 23:57
I sold my car in December. I don't need one on a daily basis even when at home and it seemed ridiculous to have it sitting, deteriorating, and depreciating while on my upcoming pct thru. I probably won't buy a car when I get back either. The UL lifestyle off the trail ..lol.

Connie
01-05-2015, 02:00
I put Octane Boost, sold at gas stations, in the gas tank after letting a vehicle sit.

I leave it with a full tank of gas, minimizing condensation.

I keep one vehicle insurance, but I do not insure any additional non-running vehicle parked on private property.

It is possible to list your vehicle as non-running and parked on private property. The reason: travel, whatever.

If parked on a public road, they want it registered.

If a long time is involved, stay ckear of "street cleaning" or "snow plow".

Coffee
01-05-2015, 07:11
I do have experience storing vehicles. Although I sold my daily driver partly because of my upcoming pct thru, I still own a classic car I've had for 26 years. I store it each winter. There is a specific procedure involved but not all of it is relevant for modern cars. Two steps that would be applicable include making sure the gas tank is either totally drained and all fuel lines are clear OR keep the tank totally full with a double dose of fuel stabilizer (stabil, available at any auto parts store). Also, change the oil right before storage.

It it is also a good idea to either put the car up on jack stands or at least overfill to tires to 40-45 psi. This avoids flat spots on the tires from extended sitting.

Thoroughly wash and heavily wax the car before storage and use a quality car cover even if parked inside.

Remove the battery and put it on a trickle charger.

Several additional steps are useful for an older car but probably not needed for modern vehicles.

Joe Rogowski
01-05-2015, 14:58
thanks for the tips guys