PDA

View Full Version : Preparing Knorr pasta sides

Mr. Jowee
01-04-2015, 22:28
How does one go about preparing Knorr sides with an alcohol stove? Doesn't seem like the bag would hold up, and the directions call for 7 minutes of boiling. Also, the directions call for 1/2 cup of milk. What's the alternative? Just more water, or dehydrated milk?

Slo-go'en
01-04-2015, 23:29
I put them in my titanium pot with 2 cups of water and boil. I don't bother with the milk or milk substitute, but I suppose the Cheddar broccoli pasta side I typically eat with tuna would be a bit creamer with milk.

The only problem I have is with it boiling over if I space out and don't pay attention. That and the fact I'm getting really sick of Cheddar broccoli pasta.

mattjv89
01-04-2015, 23:30
Yeah I've never tried to make one in the bag and I also doubt it would hold up. 7 minutes of boiling takes a lot of fuel for any stove so I use a pot cozy, basically an insulator for your pot made out of reflective material. Just boil water, pour ingredients into pot, then put it in the pot cozy and let it sit for about twice as long as the directions say to boil for. Saves a ton of fuel and works great. If you Google the term pot cozy there are numerous DIY tutorials as well as companies selling them premade.

Regarding the milk question you've figured out the options that I know of, either dehydrated milk or a little more water. It's not an exact thing, or if it is I haven't figured it out yet, but I tend to have the best results adding a little less water than the milk amount it calls for. I also go a little heavy on the oil when preparing a dairy recipe to add some fat the milk would provide. Overall I find that while preparing any of them without milk makes a passable meal, it has a certain funky taste/texture I'm not a fan of and for that reason I tend to avoid the dishes that require milk.

MuddyWaters
01-05-2015, 00:35
They really dont work that well with freezer bag cooking IMO.

Minute rice and ramen noodles are pre-cooked and come out better. but you have to make your own meals , often using lipton dry soup mixes.

Use powdered milk for milk. If you want butter, bring ghee.

Connie
01-05-2015, 01:30
Knorr sides work better with a stove that will simmer well.

Zelph has not complex alcohol stoves that simmer well and simmer rings to add to alcohol stoves that simmer well, and, continue a long time on very little alcohol fuel.

Soto OD-1R is a canister stove that simmers well. I use mine with GSI Hallulite Minimus cookware.

JetBoil MiniMo simmers well.

Natures First Full Cream Milk Powder, for example, from Packit Gourmet has the creaminess needed.

If not, use a cozy and leave it in 10 minutes or more.

Coffee
01-05-2015, 07:16
No need to simmer a Knorrs side. Instead simulate simmering by bringing water to a boil, adding the Knorrs to the pot, bring it to a boil again. Take it off the stove and put it into a pot cozy for 10 minutes (mine is made from a windshield reflector). If still a bit hard after ten minutes reboil again and put in cozy for another ten minutes. Works better with Knorrs rice but also with thinner pastas. Use less water than on the package. For directions calling for two cups of water, I use 1.5 max. My method works better with a jetboil or other canister stove than it would with alcohol since I sometimes like to reboil and put in cozy a second time. But it saves lots of fuel by not simmering.

Coffee
01-05-2015, 07:17
Sorry I missed that the OP specifically mentioned an alcohol stove. Not trying to convert anyone to canister, just outlining my method. It would work with alcohol for the rice sides which don't require a reboil usually. Fwiw.

RED-DOG
01-05-2015, 09:52
the way i do it is i bring 2 cups of water to a boil by using an Alcohol stove, pour pasta side into an Zip-Lock " Freezer " bag, then add the additives such as dyhydrated vegis, summer sausage etc, pour in the boiling water then place zip-lock bag in a cozy which i have made specifically for Zip-Lock bags then let sit for around 10 minutes, comes out absolutly great, i use the same method with cannister stoves. I never had an issue with the food being under cooked, and i subsitute the milk with water, but i do subsitute the butter with olive oil.

or i use a Mountain House Meal bag, just simply buy a mountain house meal at a resupply then eat the meal then just reuse the bag much like I would a Zip-Lock bag except i don't put the MHM in a cozy.

BRamsey
01-05-2015, 09:58
I ditto Red-dog. I made a cozy out of Reflectix, and use the zip lock freezer bags. Sometimes you need to let it rehydrate for longer than 10 minutes, but it usually comes out fine. Regular oatmeal for breakfast also works well with this method (not the instant stuff).

Coffee
01-05-2015, 10:06
I've tried the zip lock method as well and it does work but I dislike carrying the used zip locks. I guess one has to weigh dirty zip locks against the convenience of not having to clean the pot.

peakbagger
01-05-2015, 11:21
The ingredients in the various Knorrs meals make a big difference. Noodles like to simmer for awhile but the rice based versions just need one hit of boiling water and then some sitting time in a cozy or some other insulation. When I was sectioning, I kept an eye out for the rice versions

yerbyray
01-05-2015, 11:44
I use the freezer Bag method too.
I use a product called Butter Sprinkles (seems to me to be dehydrated butter) and add that as well as a pack or two of coffee creamer and maybe a pack of Olive Oil from Subway along with the Knox to give the buttery and creamy goodness that a hot meal should offer.
No sense in eating like you are in a Russian Gulag while enjoying the great outdoors.

Hikes in Rain
01-05-2015, 12:48
I do much the same, except I start with the food (and NIDO if it calls for milk) in the cold water and let it soak a few minutes before consigning it to the heat. I've used a cat can stove, which will bring everything to a boil in five minutes or so, then let it boil, stirring frequently, until flame-out a few minutes later. Let it sit a few minutes to thicken.

burger
01-05-2015, 14:05
Coffee's method works just fine for an alcohol stove. Hopefully you have a windscreen plus you're using a wide pot to minimize heat loss.

Boil 2 cups of water. As soon as it's boiling, dump in the Knorr's. If your stove has enough capacity, you should be able to get an other couple of minutes of boil time. As soon as the stove goes out, transfer your pot to a cozy. Wait 5-10 minutes (don't be tempted to open the lid to check on it--that just let's heat out). Eat and enjoy.

Busky2
01-05-2015, 15:06
Well I like to add Knorrs to the water first then apply the heat bringing them both to a boil using only 1 oz of alcohol in my super cat stove. When the fuel is gone I cozy the pot till I eat it. YMMV, HYOH,

CarlZ993
01-05-2015, 15:50
I use the pot cozy method as well. Typically, I'll add a Ramen noodle block as well as some sort of meat (chicken, bacon, spam, etc). I'll boil about 3C of water, stir in the ingredients (breaking up the ramen block beforehand) & wait 15 min. If I have extra powdered milk, I'll stir it in as well. I'll finish off with some olive oil & some nut mix (cashews, almonds, & sunflower seeds ground up) for taste & calories. A very filling meal.

wormer
01-05-2015, 16:48
I put the boiling water 3/4 of the way up in the Knorrs bag and stir. I let the bag sit upright and use a medium binder paper clamp to seal the top. I give it one additional stir when I open it and enjoy.

juma
01-05-2015, 19:38
The ingredients in the various Knorrs meals make a big difference. Noodles like to simmer for awhile but the rice based versions just need one hit of boiling water and then some sitting time in a cozy or some other insulation. When I was sectioning, I kept an eye out for the rice versions

ditto- the pasta versions always came out ready to disintegrate and the rice was always just right. the beans and rice version is my fav. also old el paso dehydrated pinto and black beans with a shot of garlic texas pete are heaven on a cold evening.

gbolt
01-05-2015, 20:03
I use the Mountain House meal for 3 Knorr side meals. 1st Night eat the Mountain House and save the cookbag. The next night (two nights, 3 nights) I pour the water and Knorr side meal into the MH bag to cook the 7 minutes it calls for. Most meals, I let it sit closer to ten minutes to allow it to finish cooking, thicken, and cool down. Never have noticed a problem with this method and thought a lot of people use the MH Bag in this manner. I don't like a dirty cup so I never eat out of it. Just use it to boil the water. I had planned on using Raman noodles to get to a five night meal plan for a thru hike. Just hard to practice working full time. The most I can escape is overnighters to a two night 3 day trip. Love to hear more from those doing week long section hikes and through hikes.

lemon b
01-05-2015, 20:58
Just the thought of Knorr Sides or PopTarts turns my stomach.

zelph
01-06-2015, 00:49
Knorr sides work better with a stove that will simmer well.

Zelph has not complex alcohol stoves that simmer well and simmer rings to add to alcohol stoves that simmer well, and, continue a long time on very little alcohol fuel.

Soto OD-1R is a canister stove that simmers well. I use mine with GSI Hallulite Minimus cookware.

JetBoil MiniMo simmers well.

Natures First Full Cream Milk Powder, for example, from Packit Gourmet has the creaminess needed.

If not, use a cozy and leave it in 10 minutes or more.

Yes, the Fancee Feest alcohol stove will simmer nicely to cook all kinds of meals.

Shug shows how to use the simmer ring as he dry bakes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42nCgENAmeA

handlebar
01-06-2015, 02:33
I bring about a half cup more water than directions call for along with a large dollop of olive oil and the contents of a foil packet of tuna, salmon, or chicken to a boil then add the Knorr side. If they call for milk, I'll have added some dry milk to the package. I bring it back to a boil then turn my stove down to simmer to complete the cooking tme. (My Featherfire alcohol stove has a damper control and really does simmer.). Then I remove from heat and put in pot cozy. The extra water helps to keep it from burning. Thicken, if desired, with a little Idahoans and enjoy right from the pot. The cozy keeps the food warm. Afterward I rinse the pot with about a half cup of cold water and drink the rinse water to get the last of the calories. Later I'll boil about a cup and a half of water for tea, simultaneously sterilizing the pot.

Leanthree
01-06-2015, 03:00
Add packet, tuna and veggies to cold water, bring to a boil, take off stove, place in coozy for 10 or so min.

Rick Hancock
01-06-2015, 07:19
I've fixed many different Knorr Sides on my White Box Alcohol Stove. Usually I repackage them at home in a freezer weight zip bag. Sometimes I'll add a spoonful or 2 of powdered milk if I have it. FBC has always seemed to work for me. Just get the water boiling really good (I add a 1/8 cup extra, or less) pour it in the ziplock and let it set 12/15 min. or a bit longer. A few times the pasta required extra "cooking" time in the bag but mostly 12/15 min. I really don't like the mess/cleanup that creamier sauces make but I just clean my spoon and place the rolled up ziplock in my small trash bag that I carried some snacks in. Just need patience while it cooks itself.

QiWiz
01-07-2015, 11:14
The most fuel efficient way is to bring them to a boil in your pot, then put your pot in a cozy (made out of Reflectix or closed-cell foam) and let it sit for 10-12 minutes, which replaces the simmer step on the directions. Then eat, right out of your pot. I've done this for years and it works well. An additional advantage of this method is to have no burned-on/stuck-on food at the bottom of your pot as the water gets absorbed.

Another option is to use an alcohol stove that simmers like the Packafeather, or to make/get a "simmer ring" for your alcohol stove so that you can actually simmer. This uses more fuel and risks the food getting burned on unless you stir constantly.

jcamp
01-08-2015, 22:37
Homemade Reflectix cozy for my titanium pot.

Bring to boil and then cover and place the pot in cozy for 7-10 minutes.