PDA

View Full Version : Foothills Trail Observations

Blissful
01-05-2015, 16:19
Hey, feel free to check out my observations (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com/2014/09/observations-on-thru-hiking-foothills.html) made while doing a thru hike of the Foothills Trail which I completed last fall. A great trail, btw.

Coffee
01-05-2015, 17:27
Thanks for the link. I'm heading out that way in either February or March and looking forward to it. Maps and guidebook are ordered already.

dmax
01-05-2015, 20:52
Thanks for the link. I'm heading out that way in either February or March and looking forward to it. Maps and guidebook are ordered already.
If you go at the end of March, the Oconee Bells should be blooming. They were last March.

Blissful
01-06-2015, 21:55
Great trail. I had it to myself in Sept though. I hear in spring the wildflowers are abundant and so too are the spring break college crowd.

Coffee
01-07-2015, 13:33
Even with spring break hikers, it seems like the trail is pretty lightly used so maybe it would be ok? I'm looking at March 11-15 at the moment, probably Table Rock to Oconee for no reason other than the guidebook's default direction.

AO2134
01-07-2015, 14:12
Table Rock section is the hardest in my opinion. That being said, it is not a difficult climb. The Oconee section is very, very easy. I did this hike both E to W and W to E. I found the trail guide book is a little harder to understand going Oconee to Table Rock than TR to Oconee.

I didn't do it when I sectioned hiked, but I heard Table Rock Trail is a must see. It summits at table rock mountain. If you are in the area and have time, go check it out. 6.8 mile hike out and back I think.

Treehugger
01-07-2015, 14:26
Hey Coffee! I am thinking of doing the FHT as a warm up to the AT, probably in March too. Not exactly sure when I will go but it looks like a great trail that would give me a nice boost of confidence before I set out on my thru hike in early April. I am figuring 6 days to a week, what about you?

NC Hiker/Angler
01-07-2015, 14:41
My in-laws live in Upstate SC and I've spent a lot of time hiking the area the past 6 years. Based on my experience, I doubt spring break hikers would be an issue. Only exception would be the portion of the FT that runs along the Chattooga. That area does get a lot of overnight camping and fisherman. With your current schedule (TR to Oconee departing on March 11) you will likely be over-nighting in that area on a weekend which means you might encounter more traffic. Unless you are really adverse to people I wouldn't see it as a basis for changing directions.

A02314 is correct that the Table Rock Trail is beautiful. I would say 95% or more of the Table Rock hiking traffic does the Table Rock trail. The result is that the the Pinnacle Trail (which is also the FT in Table Rock State Park) is rarely crowded. The Table Rock trail is a 2,000 foot climb over 3.2 miles (at least 6.4 round trip) so it would be tough to do on the same day you are beginning or ending your hike. If you reversed direction and finished at TR State Park you could actually knock out the the Table Rock summit without much additional climbing by using higher elevation cross park connector trails although to do this you would have to miss out on a portion of the FT (might be a deal breaker if want to do the entire FT). If you ultimately do the Table Rock trail make sure you continue past the summit. The summit is forested and all the beautiful views are past the summit.

dmax
01-07-2015, 14:57
We really liked the pocket profile that is available for this trail. With it we were able to leave the maps and books at home.

Coffee
01-07-2015, 17:47
Hey Coffee! I am thinking of doing the FHT as a warm up to the AT, probably in March too. Not exactly sure when I will go but it looks like a great trail that would give me a nice boost of confidence before I set out on my thru hike in early April. I am figuring 6 days to a week, what about you?

I'm shooting for four full days plus another half day or so. My final shakedown hike for the PCT!

Coffee
01-08-2015, 11:27
I was wondering whether anyone has used the Clemson, SC Amtrak station as an access point to the Foothills Trail. It seems much more convenient to both Table Rock and Oconee State Parks vs. flying into Greenville/Spartanburg airport and there wouldn't be the hassle associated with checked luggage. Google lists the distance from Clemson Amtrak to Oconee at 27 miles and Clemson Amtrak to Table Rock at 32 miles. Also, the Amtrak would get to Clemson very early in the morning (before 6am) and departs back to the north late at night so it could be convenient in terms of avoiding hotel stays.

I'm going to send an email to one of the shuttlers to see what they think but maybe someone here has used Amtrak in this way?

Penn-J
01-11-2015, 10:17
I'm gonna hike the Foothills Trail also this spring. Probably gonna just drive down on March 28th or 29th from PA and motel it for the night and get a shuttle the next morning. I'm not sure about Amtrak. Am leaning towards hiking from Oconee St. Park to Table Rock St. Park

My maps just arrived and I really like the pocket profile!

I was thinking about just tarping it instead of bringing my msr hubba. I didn't read anything about bugs or skeeters being a problem.

I got cabin fever and want to leave now! lol

Coffee
01-11-2015, 11:54
Amtrak to Clemson looks like it may be more trouble than it is worth after looking at it some more. It would require two shuttles - at the start and end of the trip - and it isn't all that much cheaper than renting a car and driving down. Also, Amtrak is notoriously late on long distance trains so that could cause some headaches as well. With a car you can drive down to Oconoee or Table Rock and get a shuttle to the other end and just hike back to the car with no logistical issues at the end.

So it looks like Foothills is a go for me although if we get some kind of bizzare warm period in Feb/March I might just take the train to Harpers Ferry and hike south to Rockfish Gap although I've done that hike already although in the opposite direction.

Treehugger
01-12-2015, 23:48
I am going to Stay at Uncle Johnnys Hostel in Erwin, TN on my way down as a cheaper alternative to a hotel. Looking forward to my last big hike before I set off on the AT. Who knows maybe I will see one or two of you guys you as you fly by me on the trail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk