PDA

View Full Version : Gear List and Last Minute Questions!

Skye15
01-06-2015, 14:53
Hey all! I am planning on heading out April 1st from Springer - i'm getting a late start posting some last minute questions here. I've attached the gear list I have going so far, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. A couple notes/questions:

I found I am not happy with my filtration system anymore (i have the Sawyer Squeeze) - the fill bag is just so slow. Any suggestions on others to take?

I may switch out my thermarest closed foam pad for an inflatable one. I like the closed foam because i could use it as a sleeping pad and to sit on around the fire. If i switch it out, what do others use to sit on outside? I was thinking about the NeoAir Xlite, but it is so loud/crinkly.

My clothing system is a big piece i've been anxious about. My thermal pants are pretty thick, any suggestions on thinner ones that wont break the bank? And do i need two pairs? one for hiking, one for sleep?

Havent seen much about rope and carabiners on peoples gear lists, are they necessary? I am used to hanging a food bag on most trips.

Thanks guys!

Frye
01-06-2015, 15:43
You're not going to find anything much lighter then the squeeze, maybe faster, but perhaps not worth it in the end. Aquamira works, but personally I can't stand waiting 30 minutes for it to do its job. Steripen's are nice, but you'll have to replace batteries or keep it charged, and some people find them not exactly the most reliable item. I do use one in the winter, but only because I'm forgetful and have let my squeezes freeze on multiple occasions.

I don't have any experience with gravity filters, so I can't comment. I know they're popular with some. There's also mechanical pumps, like the MSR sweetwater, but moving objects just increase the likelihood of malfunction.

As for the sitpad. I just use a cutdown thinlight pad from GG. weighs about an oz and does the job admirably. The neolite if you were to ask me actually becomes less noisy after some use. Of course this may just be me getting used to the sound of it and not any real appreciable reduction. Still it's my favorite pad. I read on a thread on the BPL forums that the new 2015 model of the xlite will be quieter. I haven't seen it yet, but I have seen the updated xtherm.

HooKooDooKu
01-06-2015, 16:09
My suggestion on water filtration is the Sawyer Mini... setup as a gravity filter.

Just get an Evernew water carry for a dirty water bag and a platypus hoser for a clean water bag. The hose is a little small for the Mini's output nipple, but you can push it on enough to work.

A brand-new mini filtering tap water can filter 2L of water in 4 minutes. You can use a hole punch on the edge of the clean water bag so that you can attach a piece of string and hang it for hands-free operation while you are busy doing other things in camp.

The hose that comes with the platypus hoser is pretty thick. I didn't like it because it's very difficult to coil for storage. So I removed the supplied hose and replaced it with one of these medical grade rubber hoses (actually, I used the hoses that came with my Sweetwater filter).

TNhiker
01-06-2015, 16:15
Havent seen much about rope and carabiners on peoples gear lists, are they necessary? I am used to hanging a food bag on most trips.

most people dont carry rope but carry paracord................which is alot lighter.......

as for the pad---i would seriously consider upgrading to a neo air or something like that over a closed cell pad-----you'll get much more comfortable sleep with a blow up pad...

and then buy a sit pad (many versions are offered at various outfitters) or just a cut down version of a closed cell pad...........i would buy a cheap one at walmart (maybe 6 bucks) and cut it up instead of using the thermarest one you have....

Dochartaigh
01-06-2015, 16:46
most people dont carry rope but carry paracord................which is alot lighter.......

Or 7/64" Amsteel rope which is about half the weight of Paracord and 3 times the strength (1,500 pound test instead of ~500). You can also use Zing-it/Lash-it for normal camp stuff as well (like 1/4 the thickness of paracord, with the same strength).

evyck da fleet
01-06-2015, 17:35
I like Aqua Mira drops for water treatment. It takes 5 minutes to mix and 15 minutes to treat unless the water is really dirty or cold then its thirty. I never waited thirty. I'd usually take a five or ten minute break anyway when I got water drink what I had left so I didn't have a problem waiting 15 minutes as I hiked.

I'm betting you'll find a log or rock by a campfire and don't need something to sit on. If its cold you'll want to stand close to the fire anyway.

Yes, most people carry caribiners and rope but surprisingly some don't.

I'm willing to guess you don't need a second pair of pants unless you're a cold sleeper since you're starting in April.

Fireonwindcsr
01-06-2015, 18:55
I picked up a couple Lifestraws on Amazon.

Rocket Jones
01-06-2015, 19:36
Check out your local hardware store for braided mason's line to hang your food bag. Strong, cheap and super lightweight. The spool I bought is neon pink, which makes it easier to find too.

Fireonwindcsr
01-06-2015, 20:13
Great list. Do you plan on carrying food or buying on the trail? Tent vs Hammock??? Curious as to what people will use

Fireonwindcsr
01-06-2015, 20:19
Anyone bringing Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent for ticks, etc?

Havana
01-06-2015, 20:21
Definitely go with something like a Neoair for sleeping. It's not as loud as you might think, at least the newer versions, and the comfort difference vs self inflating is stunning (at least for me).

I prefer a pump filter. I have an older version of the Katadyn Hiker. It's fast and reliable. It's also 8 ounces heavier than the Sawyer Squeeze.

Sit pad: I found the Thermarest Z Seat at an outfitter and love it. It's a luxury item, but well worth the $15 and 2 ounces of pure pleasure.

Joe Rogowski
01-06-2015, 22:10
i have the big agnes air core for my pad and i find it was really comfy and doesn't make noise right out of the box. as for pants if you want a thinner pair look at dufold they're pretty good quality and like $20 and for a sit pad i am just going to use my rain pants on a log or something. other then that you are good to go from what i see.

Treehugger
01-06-2015, 22:48
Anyone bringing Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent for ticks, etc?

Since it's good for about 6 washes(?) I will probably bounce it or buy it when I can and reapply and share what's left with another hiker.

denefi
01-07-2015, 00:45
Sit pad: I found the Thermarest Z Seat at an outfitter and love it. It's a luxury item, but well worth the $15 and 2 ounces of pure pleasure.

I have this sit pad as well and absolutely love it. I grabbed it after watching Will Wood's YouTube review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyOTfKOjwyc). He goes very lightweight and ended up buying this pad late into his hike. I used it for a 5 day shakedown in Shenandoah and it was great to pull out whenever I wanted a break. And like Havana said, it's pretty cheap and light.

Also, I'd been planning on using a foam pad, but it was worth it to me to upgrade to the NeoAir. It's so much more comfortable. I also used it on a ~0 degree night and it insulated very well considering.

Rocket Jones
01-07-2015, 07:22
You could also get a cheap blue CCF pad at Wally World and cut a square of that to sit on.

Skye15
01-07-2015, 10:21
Since it's good for about 6 washes(?) I will probably bounce it or buy it when I can and reapply and share what's left with another hiker.

I actually hadn't thought about insect repellent - but now I am. Good idea with bouncing it, i will probably go with that idea.

Skye15
01-07-2015, 10:24
You could also get a cheap blue CCF pad at Wally World and cut a square of that to sit on.

I think this is the route i'm going to go. I really do not mind sitting on the ground, my only concern is a wet butt. I used to use my poncho, but i upgraded to a rain jacket and don't want to use that.

Skye15
01-07-2015, 10:27
i have the big agnes air core for my pad and i find it was really comfy and doesn't make noise right out of the box. as for pants if you want a thinner pair look at dufold they're pretty good quality and like $20 and for a sit pad i am just going to use my rain pants on a log or something. other then that you are good to go from what i see.

Awesome, I did see Dufold on Amazon, so I'll probably snag a pair. Not too worried about sleeping cold, my Joule is a 23 degree and i've used it when it's dropped into the teens, still felt like an oven in it.

Skye15
01-07-2015, 10:33
Great list. Do you plan on carrying food or buying on the trail? Tent vs Hammock??? Curious as to what people will use

Thanks! When you say carrying food or buying on the trail, do you mean resupplying in town versus drop boxes? I will be doing a mixture of both, there are a few towns i've read that have little to no selection, like Bland VA and Caratunk ME. I have 6 planned drop box towns, may change while i'm on the trail. I am using a tent, at least starting with one. May switch out to a hammock in the summer months if I can, I sleep better in hammocks just don't have as much experience with them.

Skye15
01-07-2015, 10:37
So one of my friends offered to let me take his MSR Sweetwater filter on the trail. http://www.rei.com/product/617913/msr-sweetwater-water-filter

It is really easy to use and is very quick, my concern is it is A) bulkier B) there may be water supplies that are just a trickle and this system wouldn't work in those situations. Looks like it needs to be a pretty substantial water source for the valve to rest in and pump. (hopefully that makes sense)

Traveler
01-07-2015, 10:50
I think this is the route i'm going to go. I really do not mind sitting on the ground, my only concern is a wet butt. I used to use my poncho, but i upgraded to a rain jacket and don't want to use that.

You may want to look at the Therm A Rest Z Seat more closely. For $14 and 2 ounces of weight, you get a seat with 2.2 R value insulation most anywhere you need or want one without grinding dirt into rain gear. It folds up rather well, does not require straps to stay folded (though a stuff sack is a good idea to protect it), and stashes/secures well in my packs given its folded shape. It may be cheaper than the wally world CCF pad, likely lighter as well and has a bit of insulation value that the CCF material lacks. Plus, you don't have to mess with cutting it up.

q-tip
01-07-2015, 10:58
For water I use the Steripen. I dehydrate extremely fast and that makes water ready in under two minutes. As for a sit pad, I have a big ass, and use a NeoAir for sleep. Foam mattress did not work.

Rocket Jones
01-07-2015, 13:03

Another option then is a simple plastic laminated placemat.

CarlZ993
01-07-2015, 17:49
My $0.02 worth:
I didn't see rain pants. I'd include them. When it is hard & humid, you might consider shipping them home. My worse weather day I had was April 4th. Hiked in freezing rain & was miserable (rain froze to the trees). Glad I was wearing full rain-gear.

Close-cell foam sit pad is a nice luxury to have. As long as your sleeping pad has an adequate R-value, any pad will do. Close-cell foam pads are bullet-proof but not as comfy. Self-inflating pads are generally heavier but more comfortable. Inflatable pads (ex. NeoAir Xlite) can be as light or lighter than close-cell foam pads but really comfy. I used the Xlite down to about 15 degrees & was warm. Really cushy. Never had any problems w/ it but I definitely babied it to prevent leaks.

I didn't see a trowel. You can use a wide stake to serve the same purpose. Really helps with Leave No Trace issues of human waste.

A Platypus-based hydration system would probably be lighter than a Camelbak system. Camelbak system would probably be sturdier. Soda, Gatorade, or cheap water bottles are lighter & generally cheaper. I used the Aquamira water purification system & was happy with it. Very light (~3 oz when both bottles are full) & almost idiot-proof (just gotta make sure your tighten down the lids thoroughly).

From a guy's perspective, your toiletry kit seems a little heavy.

Depending on your budget, you can get lighter tents & packs than what you're planning on carrying. Same for your pot (my Evernew 0.9L pot weighed around 4.6 oz).

What you have as gear is only one part of the equation. I saw people with the lightest, wiz-bang stuff that didn't complete the AT. I saw people with antiquated, heavy gear make it the entire way. You'll have ample opportunity to add or subtract stuff as you go. When in doubt, I recommend you consider the lighter option.

Best of luck on your hike.

comanche8f
01-08-2015, 12:31
Hey all! I am planning on heading out April 1st from Springer - i'm getting a late start posting some last minute questions here. I've attached the gear list I have going so far, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. A couple notes/questions:

I found I am not happy with my filtration system anymore (i have the Sawyer Squeeze) - the fill bag is just so slow. Any suggestions on others to take?

I may switch out my thermarest closed foam pad for an inflatable one. I like the closed foam because i could use it as a sleeping pad and to sit on around the fire. If i switch it out, what do others use to sit on outside? I was thinking about the NeoAir Xlite, but it is so loud/crinkly.

My clothing system is a big piece i've been anxious about. My thermal pants are pretty thick, any suggestions on thinner ones that wont break the bank? And do i need two pairs? one for hiking, one for sleep?

Thanks guys!

In regards to the water isssue. For me personally, I am doing it a bit different. I am carrying a 3l camelback. I am going to fill the camelback with water, add some aquamire drops. I will also be carrying two filtered water bottles. I am going to keep the water bottles filled with the water from the camelback, that way I can carry a reserve and not have to wait for it to be treated. Plus I am paranoid about the water, I know I am being over cautious, but this way I know I will have clean water and not have the bad taste either

Kc Fiedler
01-09-2015, 21:36
So one of my friends offered to let me take his MSR Sweetwater filter on the trail. http://www.rei.com/product/617913/msr-sweetwater-water-filter

It is really easy to use and is very quick, my concern is it is A) bulkier B) there may be water supplies that are just a trickle and this system wouldn't work in those situations. Looks like it needs to be a pretty substantial water source for the valve to rest in and pump. (hopefully that makes sense)

Avoid this filter at all costs. Quite frankly I have rarely encountered a piece of gear I hated more. In fact this might be the number one worst filter I've ever encountered.

I worked leading trips for an institution which used these as water purification on trips. They clog up so quickly that while pumping water out of a relatively clean source (yes, the intake was floating off the bottom, yes we avoided sediment, yes the water was pretty much free of visible particulates) for a group of ten, we had to disassemble and clean the filter element every two liters. It was a huge pain in the ass, not just on one trip but multiple throughout the summer. Halfway through the summer I told my supervisor we weren't taking these filters back on trail and replaced them with AquaMira.

Personally, I'd recommend bleach for purification.

Anyways, I'd suggest avoiding this filter at all costs. Cheers!

P.S. I'd suggest 35-40' of Dynaglide rope and a Nite Ize Mini S-Biner for bear bagging.

Connie
01-09-2015, 22:25
I prefilter. Melitta coffee filters.

I read in this forum microfiber cloth is a prefilter.

The Sawyer filter is .1 micron absolute.

All the top filters need prefilter.

I prefilter for the Sawyer.

jred321
01-15-2015, 11:50
I'm going with the Sawyer but hear you on the filling of the bags. If there is a strong flow it's easy. If things aren't flowing as strongly it kind of sucks. I've had mild success with kind of holding the bag open while holding it underwater. I may end up changing but that's at least what I'm starting with.

I'm only planning on bringing one pair of long thermals. I don't expect to use them while hiking unless it's really cold but I'm generally warm (ran in shorts, long sleeve t, hat and gloves last night when it was <20 degrees). So that part is mostly up to you and what you're comfortable with.

I have the XLite and haven't found that the noise bothered me. Maybe I was annoying the crap out of everyone else but nobody said anything.

For gloves, I got a pair of these for Christmas http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3652849&cp=3707807.11308435.3693385 They're windproof with a fair amount of insulation but not full on ski gloves. I also have a pair of uninsulated gloves that are less windproof. What the weather is at the time will dictate which I bring.

Do you need the footprint? I know there are mixed opinions but something to consider.

Paracord and a carabiner for hanging a bag is a good idea.

As for a sit pad, my pack has a removable one built in as do many of the Gossamer Gear packs. The pad on the back is external and easy to take in and out. If a new pack is something you were thinking about then this is something to consider.

jred321
01-15-2015, 11:59
What about any electronics? Phone, charger, etc.... Also, are you bringing a guide?