PDA

View Full Version : Camera bag question

AbeHam
01-06-2015, 21:01
Hi,
I'm planning on taking my Olympus OM-D E-5 (with a 12-50mm and a 40-150mm lens) for a month-long hike on the southern part of the AT. For those who have brought a mirrorless or small dslr on a hike, do you use a padded camera bag? I plan on picking up a Peak Capture Clip for when have the camera out. But for when I want to stow the camera or extra lens, I was thinking I might just wrap them in whatever clothing I'm not wearing and stick that in a dry bag. If that's a terrible idea, does anyone have a suggestion for a lightweight camera bag?
Thanks!

Miner
01-06-2015, 21:37
I have a Panasonic GX1 micro 4/3 camera from 2012. I currently have this Sea 2 Summit padded Cell Case (http://www.rei.com/product/857467/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-padded-soft-cell-case-large) attached to my shoulder strap (The smaller size just fits my camera with a 14-42mm lens, the larger has plenty of extra space). There are loops to attach it to a hipbelt as well. It's been working well and have used it for 500 miles this past summer. The larger size only weighs 2.2oz for the case and seems to be waterproof in what occasional rain I've seen. If I was in a prolonged downpour, I'd likely add a gallon ziploc over the camera to be safe which is what I did on the AT using a different case. I have used other camera bags, either attached to my hipbelt or my shoulder straps over the years. Almost anything will work, but I try to find the lightest thing possible even if it involves some creative thinking and minor modifications. Also don't be afraid to consider items that aren't marketed as camera bags.

That said, I don't know how much use your larger zoom lens will get. I find that I mostly use wide angle settings when backpacking and now only carry a small pancake fast prime lens to use in lower light situations as a second lens along with the 14-42 zoom.

The first photo shows the smaller size cell bag attached to my pack. I also have the larger size which is obviously larger and it can fit a second zoom lens with the camera. I am using the black label as a loop to attach to the D ring on my shoulder strap. The second photo is my camera with my cell phone case for scale. The 3rd photo is the Large size S2S padded Cell Bag with my camera in so you can see how much is left for a zoom.

AbeHam
01-06-2015, 22:05
That looks perfect. Thanks!