PDA

View Full Version : Leki Carbonlite Trekking Poles - Confusion or Controversy - I don't know.

Woof Shaven
01-06-2015, 21:07
Leki Carbonlite Trekking Poles

This is this the trekking pole I went with. Upon close video inspection of the manufactures video there appears to be one aluminum component. I still like the poles even if they are half carbon and half aluminum.

Its a three tube trekking pole telescopic system. The largest diameter tube is a lightweight Aluminium (Oberteil) and the two inner tubers are 100% Carbon (Mittel-/Unterteil).

Now REI says the entire shaft is carbon fiber (http://www.rei.com/product/866286/leki-carbonlite-trekking-poles-pair#tab-specs) at least that is their advertising. So who do we believe? I don't know. There could be an American model and a European model in the Carbon Ultralight series.

Manufacture's Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r7J3grFqoUk

Manufacturer's Video Reveals

Oberteil Shaft = Aluminium
Mittel Shaft = Carbon
Unterteil Shaft= Carbon

So I don't know what to think. I still like the poles. There might some egg on REI's face though. The same advertisement is still up from when I originally purchased these poles. REI words the shaft material as CARBON.

Maybe I shouldn't be watching German videos?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/r7J3grFqoUk?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Franco
01-06-2015, 22:12
The German site clearly describes the top as aluminum and the bottom carbon.
The weight listed there is 416g.
The REI weight translates to 417g so I would think their are one and the same.

Old Hillwalker
01-07-2015, 09:19
I am on my second set of Leki Carbonlite Micro Vario Carbon poles. There are actually five sections. The bottom four are carbon fiber, the top of the four slides inside of the top or handle part which may be aluminum but is covered with a rubber like coating. Considering that the top or handle part is not a straight tube, but a handle shaped part, it would be difficult if not impossible to make it out of carbon fiber so aluminum is likely the material. I broke one of the poles right at the top joint by putting a lateral force on it while traversing the Bigelows here in Maine last summer. Leki sent me a new pair with only a photo of the break and an email. I don't think that this was a well spent $200.

Faults I find with these poles are that since they collapse and then fold into sections they cannot be easily placed in a side pockets of a pack when they are not used. Also, they cannot be collapsed and used for self arrest in a pinch like conventional collapsible poles. And they are extensive and not very strong. I sheared off the pne pole with very little force. Carbon fiber is strong in compression, but very brittle.

gbolt
01-07-2015, 11:25
I just recieved the Leki Corklite Trekking Poles as a present. I researched the Carbonlite poles because of the weight difference. However, I wanted the quick clips, where the Carbonlite has the twist. The weight difference ended up being 16.8 oz to 14.7 oz. I researched and had learned that Aluminium was stronger for lateral forces compared to Carbon that, as Hillwalker stated, is strong in commpression. I would imagine that REI words the shaft material as carbon based on carbon being present even though each section may not be 100% carbon. For me, the other consideration was a cost difference of $20 between the $179 to $159 before sale prices. I am pleased with my Leki Corklite Poles and would recommend them for others. However, as with any purchase, if a person "still likes the poles" then the purchase was a good purchase. Often we split hairs over weight, materials, cost and durability of gear. It makes for great forum discussions and reading. I am now doing the same questioning and hair splitting between purchasing an ZBlast Arctic Blast, ULA Ohm, and ULA Circuit.

Kerosene
01-08-2015, 11:02
Personally, I would go with the Corklite aluminum poles with the flick clips. I did manage to shear off the bottom section when I fell and torqued the heck out of the pole caught between two rocks (in the 100-Mile Wilderness of course). Leki did replace at no charge. The carbon poles are just an ounce lighter apiece, cost a lot more, and are a bit more fragile. Now, I'm all about weight savings and I'm not very price-sensitive when it comes to backpacking equipment, but it didn't seem like a good tradeoff to me.

Nooga
01-08-2015, 11:45
For me the flip lock would be the deciding factor. I carried Leki twist lock poles on my hike in 2012 and constantly had issues. To Leki's credit, they replaced the lower section on two occasions. I got to to Rangeley, Maine and one of the poles would not tighten up. Since I used my poles as my tent poles, this was a major issue. I ended up fabricating a tent pole from a wooden dowel pole and carried the non functioning twist lock Leki in my pack for the rest of the hike. After that hike, I purchased a pair of flip lock Leki's and 1,500 miles later no issues.

Connie
01-08-2015, 19:27
I got very expensive twist-lock hiking poles at a great price at REI, because of all the reported problems.

I asked, are these questionable? How about I pay for the replacement inserted device and REI Repair do the install.

What a deal!

Frye
01-08-2015, 20:01
Leki Carbonlite Trekking Poles

This is this the trekking pole I went with. Upon close video inspection of the manufactures video there appears to be one aluminum component. I still like the poles even if they are half carbon and half aluminum.

Its a three tube trekking pole telescopic system. The largest diameter tube is a lightweight Aluminium (Oberteil) and the two inner tubers are 100% Carbon (Mittel-/Unterteil).

Now REI says the entire shaft is carbon fiber (http://www.rei.com/product/866286/leki-carbonlite-trekking-poles-pair#tab-specs) at least that is their advertising. So who do we believe? I don't know. There could be an American model and a European model in the Carbon Ultralight series.

Manufacture's Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r7J3grFqoUk

Manufacturer's Video Reveals

Oberteil Shaft = Aluminium
Mittel Shaft = Carbon
Unterteil Shaft= Carbon

So I don't know what to think. I still like the poles. There might some egg on REI's face though. The same advertisement is still up from when I originally purchased these poles. REI words the shaft material as CARBON.

Maybe I shouldn't be watching German videos?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/r7J3grFqoUk?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Your info is correct. The very top shaft of the three is aluminum. It's nothing to worry about though, the lower sections are where carbon can shine. I have the 2014 model of the Carbonlite, and although I own lighter poles which are supposedly better and more popular choices, and heavier poles which are obviously bomber and more robust, I'll be bringing the Carbonlite poles on my thru this year. I just put them to the test this past week on a 75 mile trip in which temperatures dropped to about 15 degrees, no noticeable vibration nor slippage. I'm also very hard on my tekking poles. (Which is why I don't carry the GG or similar UL poles)

Of course 75 miles won't allow me to promise they'll perform flawlessly, but I came home impressed. Enough so that I'm not second guessing my decision to use them this spring.