PDA

View Full Version : What is considered a heavy bag and tent?

LonghornAT
01-07-2015, 00:03
On the average and not counting ounces too hard, what is considered a heavy bag (15-22 degrees) and tent (1 person, 3 season).

HooKooDooKu
01-07-2015, 00:23
I consider a 15/20 degree bag heavy when it gets significantly above three pounds.
I consider a 1 man tent heavy when it gets significantly above four pounds.
At these weights, you can get a bag and tent (combined) for about $350.

Those with money to spend would likely say something more like bags over 2lbs and tents over 2.5lbs are heavy.
But to get to that level, I think you're looking at $500 - $800 for a bag and tent (combined).

Ultra Lite gram weenies would likely say a 2.5lbs tent to be heavy because they use lightweight tarps rather than tents.

MuddyWaters
01-07-2015, 00:39
Id say 2.5-3 lb for each.

Damn Yankee
01-07-2015, 10:50
I had two Nemo tents. The 1P and the 2P. Awesome tents and somewhat light with the 1P at about 2lbs and the 2P just over 3 lbs. this is including the footprint. However, I have a new tarp with sewn in floor at 16oz. which I haven't had the chance to use yet. So I would consider the 2P heavy but, very roomy and small pack size.

TomN
01-07-2015, 12:25
Over 2 LBS each

Rocket Jones
01-07-2015, 13:00
Whatever you're willing to carry is light enough. Cost and weight are a tradeoff.

colorado_rob
01-07-2015, 13:03
Over 2 LBS eachPerfect summary.

Traveler
01-07-2015, 14:10
Whatever you're willing to carry is light enough. Cost and weight are a tradeoff.

Good point. For what its worth, added to the cost element is comfort and safety. Comfort is relative and speaks for itself, I prefer some gear (like packs) that are a little more heavy for their carrying comfort for example. Though some comfort items can be easily moved past, it can be at the expense of chaffing, blisters, bruising, balance, and hypothermia.

Safety is another issue when you have gear but are not experienced in its use or conditions that can become life threatening. Ultra light equipment can be very dependent on experience to use properly. From the questions posed by the OP, and the early February start that is being discussed, they may have better luck getting slightly heavier but less expensive and easier to use gear to start out with in deep winter and change it out later in the trek.

Venchka
01-07-2015, 14:14
TarpTent Contrail 1 pound 12 ounces.
Western Mountaineering Versalite 2 pounds.
Given your planned start date, that would be my minimum shelter and bag combination supplemented by lots of wool, fleece, down and wind proof layers.
Be safe. Stay warm. Stay dry.

Wayne

Bronk
01-07-2015, 14:38
A heavy tent is a tent that leaks when its rainy or too small for you to be comfortable when you sit in your tent to wait out the weather. A heavy sleeping bag is one so light that you freeze all night long.

In either case its heavy because its pretty well useless...I don't care if it only weighs a pound and a half, you're carrying a pound and a half of useless gear if it is inadequate for your needs.

Having said that, different people have different needs and different definitions of what they consider comfortable. I will never carry less than a 2 man tent that I can fully sit up in and has netting to keep the bugs out. So I'll probably never have a 2lb tent.

Connie
01-07-2015, 14:43
Bronk, No?
http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-solong6-tents/solong-6-standard
I immediately thought of this tent. Look around.

swonut
01-07-2015, 14:54
+1 on the Solong 6. My only complaint is that it's all the same color and can make for a few seconds of having to flip stuff around because it's upside down or twisted up in a ball. Other than that, it's a great setup with lots of room.

LonghornAT
01-07-2015, 15:06
Really considering the tarptent contrail. I have Leki XL poles to use. Will it suffice for a 6'3'' person during the wind and rain?

Venchka
01-07-2015, 15:20
Call Henry Shires and ask him. The Solong is admired by taller owners.
You're gonna need two bags: A full on near-winter bag to start and a summer bag somewhere in Virgina. Heck, you'll very nearly need two complete sets of clothing, etc. Will your backpack hold enough stuff to keep you alive until Virginia?

Wayne

HooKooDooKu
01-07-2015, 15:27
A heavy tent is a tent that leaks when its rainy or too small for you to be comfortable when you sit in your tent to wait out the weather. A heavy sleeping bag is one so light that you freeze all night long.

In either case its heavy because its pretty well useless...I don't care if it only weighs a pound and a half, you're carrying a pound and a half of useless gear if it is inadequate for your needs.

I love the angle of that response to this question.

Another angle I tried to allude to before would be one of cost... but turn the question up-side down:
A light weight tent is a tent that costs more than you're willing to spend.
A light bag is a bag that cost more than you're willing to spend.

Bronk's response plays into this question at when is a tent/bag too light (or too cheap).
A tent is too cheap when it can't keep you dry.
A bag is too cheap when it can't keep you warm.

Connie
01-07-2015, 15:32
SoLong 6 shows a two-color green and grey.

colorado_rob
01-07-2015, 15:55
Ultra Lite gram weenies would likely say a 2.5lbs tent to be heavy because they use lightweight tarps rather than tents. OR you could spend $390 and get a zpacks Hexamid Solo+, a full tent, palatial in size for one, netting and everything that weighs 1-pound even, including ground sheet and guy lines. But no, I am not a gram wienie because in colder weather I carry a 2.5 lb tent.

Connie
01-07-2015, 16:41
Here are tents 2 lbs. and less:

LightHeart Gear, Solo, Duo, Solong6
Six Moon Designs, Lunar Solo, Lunar Duo, Haven and Haven NetTent, Skyscape Trekker, Skyscape X
Tarptent, Notch, Contrail
Terra Nova, Laser Ultra 1, Laser Photon 1, Laser Competition 1, Terra Laser Competition
ZPacks, Soloplex, Altaplex, Duplex, Triplex, Hexamid Solo, Hexamid Solo Plus

rocketsocks
01-07-2015, 19:04
What is considered a heavy bag?anything you dread donning the next morning.

rocketsocks
01-07-2015, 19:06
...but if I had to put a number to it, anything over 3lbs.

Studlintsean
01-07-2015, 19:10
Really considering the tarptent contrail. I have Leki XL poles to use. Will it suffice for a 6'3'' person during the wind and rain?
I own a contrail and I am 6' with room at the foot for my pack. 6'3 will be cutting it close and depending on shoe size I might worry about feet touching in the back. Henry Shires or Franco could answer for sure.

Another Kevin
01-07-2015, 19:48
Everyone else is right - it's a tradeoff between weight and price.

I'm not into major high-end gear. I have an REI Radiant 20* down bag (2 lb 10 oz, list price about $200, got it for about $130 on sale). It would have been about 3oz lighter if I fit in a Regular, but I need a Long. Kelty Cosmic 20 is about 5-6 oz heavier and you can find it for about $110 if you watch the sales (manufacturer's list is $169). My tent is a TarpTent Notch, $275 and it's a 1 lb 11 oz shelter if you use trekking poles. (I do.) Except that I spent another three ounces and fifteen bucks for the half-solid walls because I use mine in cold weather and want to keep out the blowing snow. (I also have a heavier down bag for winter conditions, but that's not what you're asking about.)

For me that's the sweet spot - about $450 for those two items and 4 lb 5 oz total for them. A lot of people here would still say that's heavy. I suspect that they're both smaller and richer than I am.

For what it's worth, I carry a Therm-a-Rest ProLite Regular (1 lb 1 oz) and keep my gear in an off-brand 64 litre pack (3 lb 6 oz - obviously room for improvement here, but I got it for $70!). That makes my current Big Four just under 9 lb.. I could spend $250 upgrading my pack to, say, a ULA Catalyst and knock the weight down by nearly a pound. I wouldn't want to go with the Ohm or the Circuit, by the way, because I foresee a bear canister in my future. But when I was getting back into this hobby a few years ago, the Catalyst was out of my price range. And for me, it looks as if getting below an 8 lb Big Four would either drive up the price FAST or else represent a big sacrifice of comfort or safety.

This is just an example of what's probably "middle of the road" in terms of what I see on the trail. I see a lot with heavier stuff, and a lot with lighter. I have fun.

If you're a long-distance hiker, your price/performance tradeoff will probably be different from what mine is as a clueless weekender.

Another Kevin
01-07-2015, 19:50

I don't know about the Contrail, because I really prefer a side entry. I find the Notch roomy enough, and I'm 6"1'.

Franco
01-07-2015, 21:55
This is a still from the Contrail 3d video (Contrail product page ---videos)
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Contrail3D_zps27827abd.png
That is a 6' dummy on top of a 6' mat so there is a foot of space between the mat and the end of the floor.
However note that the very end is not high enough for the feet of a 7' person.
Of course you can only sit up right by the pole.
The end will work better if lifted up like this :
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Contrail/Polish-version.jpg
The rear extra pole section is listed under Extras or just use a trekking pole or stick.
franco@tt

Venchka
01-15-2015, 17:07
If you and your dad are hiking together, the TarpTent Cloudburst 3 at 26 ounces per person is a roomy tent that can shed snow and not be too claustrophobic if you have to wait out a blizzard. This is TarpTent's version of Tipi Walter's Hilleberg Keron 3 that he uses for solo winter trips.

http://www.tarptent.com/cloudburst3.html

Wayne

Franco
01-15-2015, 17:32
"This is TarpTent's version of Tipi Walter's Hilleberg Keron 3 that he uses for solo winter trips."
It's a Tarptent version of the tunnel design.
Jack Stephenson (Warmlite) made tunnel tents well before Hilleberg,the first in 1966, in fact a local (Aussie) designer, Aarn Tate had a tunnel tent in 1974 , also before Hilleberg.

comanche8f
01-16-2015, 23:54
another lightweight 2 person tent. Expensive though. I am not vouching for this product, just one I have been looking into myself. Holding up to 4-6 months on the trail, and being waterproof is a big deal for me.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Tent-Reviews/Terra-Nova-Solar-Photon-2

comanche8f
01-17-2015, 00:30
Scratch my last comment, I vote for the Solong 6

greentick
01-17-2015, 01:39
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=29736&catid=member&imageuser=6848

(http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=29736&catid=member&imageuser=6848)I'm 6'3" and the Contrail is plenty long for me. Love that thing.

Wanderingventurer
04-14-2015, 21:08
I am also 6'3" and the LHG SoLong 6 is plenty long w/ lots of headroom!

Franco
04-14-2015, 23:00
In the meantime the Contrail has morphed into the ProTrail .http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/ProTrail/SwamisProTrail_zps943f9f7f.jpg
The difference is the rear end, now also A frame like the front.
Will work better with the taller ones and maybe easier to set up for some
Photo from Swami (Cam Honan) testing his ProTrail prototype in South America
http://www.thehikinglife.com/journal/2014/08/tarptent-prototype/

hikingshoes
04-14-2015, 23:46
30564 I've live in this tarptent for 3.5 months,its bombproof for as the weather goes. I've been through a few bad thrunderstorms.

misprof
04-15-2015, 05:03
under 2,5 both.

AO2134
04-15-2015, 08:23
I have yet to find a one or two person tent that is "too heavy." It is your weight. You have to carry it. People make weight a monster. It is not. It is just weight.

$$$ has always been more important to me than weight. That being said, there are options to go both lightweight and cheap.

I have a SMD Scout which is under 2.5 lbs. It can be bought for $125.00.

My sleeping bag (Marmot Trestles 30 Sleeping Bag) on the other hand is much heavier at 3.4 lbs. I use this as a 4 season bag because I refused to buy a second sleeping bag.

However, recently I bought a sleeping bag from walmart that will do just fine in spring, summer, and fall and only cost $40 and weighs 2 lbs.

Just some ideas for you. There are a lot of opinions and options out there.

kevperro
04-15-2015, 22:31
There are more tradeoffs than just weight and price. Anything you pick has some kind of tradeoff.

My favorite moderate price/weight choices:

REI QD1: $175 (with 20% REI sale) - 38 ounce carry weight (mine)

Enlightened Equipment 20 deg. Quilt Reg/Wide - $205 - 34 ounces