PDA

View Full Version : Music/Podcast Library Building

Skye15
01-07-2015, 10:42
I know some days i'll want to listen to music, podcasts, or audio books on the trail. I've never really used iTunes, i typically always listen to Spotify or YouTube channels. Since I won't have internet connection to do that, any suggestions on how to quickly and cheaply build up my iTunes library?

Any suggestions on good podcasts or audiobooks?

Thanks!

Studlintsean
01-07-2015, 10:49
I know some days i'll want to listen to music, podcasts, or audio books on the trail. I've never really used iTunes, i typically always listen to Spotify or YouTube channels. Since I won't have internet connection to do that, any suggestions on how to quickly and cheaply build up my iTunes library?

Any suggestions on good podcasts or audiobooks?

Thanks!

I have used "Free Music Download" from the iTunes store. Do some searches on how to drop the files from your phone to your computer and then into your iTunes (or from computer into iTunes).

Damn Yankee
01-07-2015, 11:14
I have a device that connects to my Ipod and then the headphones plug into it which gives me radio and the headphones work as a antenna. Works well and you can most likely pick up some type of music anywhere.

OCDave
01-07-2015, 11:57
Explore your public library system or the library of any nearby college or university. This is a great way to expand your musical tastes, as well as your digital library.

Old_Man
01-07-2015, 12:30
Beat me to it OCDave--I've gotten great new and old music from the library. Not to mention all the great books. Ask the librarian if they can order items from other branches. That will dramatically increase your selection. Some libraries even offer free music downloading services too.

Skye15
01-07-2015, 13:09
Thanks, I never even knew about the library option but i will definitely be checking that out.

Skye15
01-07-2015, 13:10
I have used "Free Music Download" from the iTunes store. Do some searches on how to drop the files from your phone to your computer and then into your iTunes (or from computer into iTunes).

I'll start looking into that, good idea.

JJMorse
01-07-2015, 20:51
Spotify premium ($10/month) has an offline mode. That's what I plan to use. You need WiFi to originally download the songs to your phone, but once you select them for use in offline mode you don't need internet anymore. I figure every once in a while in a town where I get WiFi I'll have a little download session where I change up my music.

JJMorse
01-07-2015, 20:52
https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/guides/#!/article/Listen-offline

gaineskj
01-07-2015, 23:34
+1 for checking your public library. My local library has a music database subscription and patrons are able to download (for keeps) 7 songs per week. Needless to say I haven't bought music in quite a while.

Skye15
01-08-2015, 10:00
Thanks! I have Spotify premium, so I'll get to downloading!

jcamp
01-08-2015, 22:31
If you already have Spotify premium. That would be the easiest.

BRamsey
01-08-2015, 22:57
Get the Podcasts App and then get Serial (it is a NPR product) - it is 12 part series that is amazing and free. I have had an Audible.com account for years and it is amazing. I have War and Peace, Midnight's Children, and a few Dostoevsky's on my list for the trail this year. Amazon has very good specials on a lot of music, and hundred's of $5 Albums that flow right into iTunes. When are you leaving? I'm down for April 4.

Skye15
01-09-2015, 10:48
Get the Podcasts App and then get Serial (it is a NPR product) - it is 12 part series that is amazing and free. I have had an Audible.com account for years and it is amazing. I have War and Peace, Midnight's Children, and a few Dostoevsky's on my list for the trail this year. Amazon has very good specials on a lot of music, and hundred's of $5 Albums that flow right into iTunes. When are you leaving? I'm down for April 4.

With the podcasts, I can listen to those off-line? I've never used/listened to podcasts before so i'm a little ignorant. I am going to make an audible account, I have the app Ive just never used it. My leaving is somewhat still in a time range - sometime between March 30th - April 1st. Trying to plan around some friends that want to do the first few miles with me. They're pushing me through the first 30 miles at least! : )

OCDave
01-09-2015, 12:45
Like interesting stories? Free podcast you should checkout:
The Moth
NPR: Radiolab- Listen to the short episode "Dogs Gone Wild" and you'll be hooked
Snap Judgement
Stuff You Missed in History Class - Highly recommend the episode covering the Donner Party
The Dinner Party Download
and of course-
This American Life

Enough free content to get you to Maine.

Good Luck

BonBon
01-10-2015, 15:56
I agree- love Serial podcast series and other NPR stuff. And audible has a great selection of books you can download. (Or is that upload?) I'm listening to a hilarious book right now called iHike by Lawton Grinter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skye15
01-13-2015, 16:27
Thanks everyone, this has given me great ideas. Now I tell myself i'm "multi-tasking" and build playlists while I work...helps with my planning anxiety that i'm able to do something trail related while sitting in a cube.