PDA

View Full Version : putting my list together

eco
10-26-2005, 14:01
I need to replace/aquire a lot of gear if I am going to seriously attempt to make the trek from PA to ME in '07. I have been doing countless hours of reserch on the forums, manufacturer's websites, gear review websites as well as hands on stuff in the stores. I have more or less decided on the following pieces of equipment. Some of this stuff I already have and am very pleased with. The rest I am looking into acquiring. I guess I am looking for opinions/criticisms on my selections. I would much rather hear about why it is a bad idea now than figure it out for myself a month into my walk.

Two caveats...

Obviously this list is just a beginning. I wanted to start with the big three. As it continues to grow, I'll update it accordingly. Also, I was looking to find a balance between lightweight and high durability. I am one of those that would rather spend a few extra $$ on quality up front but at the same time am not in a position to throw money away and want to get the most for my $ spent.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Pack-Osprey Aether 75
Bag-Western Mountaineering Alpinlite
Shelter-HH Explorer Deluxe
Boots-Limmer Midweights
Jacket-GoLite Phantom

chris
10-26-2005, 14:31
A few comments.

1) If your going with ultralight gear, why use a 75 L pack? You might want it for other trips where you have to haul more gear, but you're going to end up with a lot of empty volume. I'd seriously look into smaller volume (and lower weight) packs.

2) I'd seriously think about wearing trail runners on the AT unless you are planning a winter trek. Limmers are big, serious boots If you've worn them extensively on long (i.e, more than a week) trips, then you probably have a great, experienced-based reason. However, if you haven't, I'd re-think this. Asics makes several good models, including the Eagle Trail and Gel Trabuco.

3) For about the same price as the Go-Lite Phantom, you can get an Integral Designs eVENT jacket that weighs less and is actually water proof. PacLite is less waterproof that eVENT and I can't imagine anything is more breathable. I wrote a review of this jacket and you can find it in the Gear Reviews section.

Seeker
10-26-2005, 14:56
regarding your hammock... backpacker asym is lighter than the explorer, though smaller... if you're much over 5-10, 180# (my size), i'd say you've got what you need, but if you're smaller, you might look at the smaller one... that's what i use, and i'm happy with it...

i'll echo the previous comment about the pack.. i use a golite gust (20oz or so) i'm very happy with...

eco
10-26-2005, 14:58
A few comments.

1) If your going with ultralight gear, why use a 75 L pack? You might want it for other trips where you have to haul more gear, but you're going to end up with a lot of empty volume. I'd seriously look into smaller volume (and lower weight) packs.

2) I'd seriously think about wearing trail runners on the AT unless you are planning a winter trek. Limmers are big, serious boots If you've worn them extensively on long (i.e, more than a week) trips, then you probably have a great, experienced-based reason. However, if you haven't, I'd re-think this. Asics makes several good models, including the Eagle Trail and Gel Trabuco.

3) For about the same price as the Go-Lite Phantom, you can get an Integral Designs eVENT jacket that weighs less and is actually water proof. PacLite is less waterproof that eVENT and I can't imagine anything is more breathable. I wrote a review of this jacket and you can find it in the Gear Reviews section.
Thanks for the suggestions Chris. My thoughts...

1)The Limmes stay. I have enough experience with these and similar boots and am not ready to convert to trail runners for a number of reasons, not the least of which is I kick far to many roots and rocks to sacrifice the protection they afford me. The abrasions on the toes and ankles of my boots are extensive enough that I probably would have done some serious damage had I not been wearing them. I have had a number of people tell about the benefits of trail runners but I have even considered giving up my boots. Maybe one day, but no today. I'll sacrifice a little comfort for the confidence the Limmers provide.

2)Like I said, I am looking for a balance between light weight and durability and functionality. I am in a position to own only one pack. I seriously looked at the Aether 60 but thought the 75 with the extra volume might be a better choice if I can only have one. Maybe I need to rethink this. The 60 probably has enough volume for most trips.

3)I will definately look into the eVENT jacket. I have been hearing really good things about Golite but am certasinly open to other options. I'll check out your review.

Thanks again.

eco
10-26-2005, 14:59
regarding your hammock... backpacker asym is lighter than the explorer, though smaller... if you're much over 5-10, 180# (my size), i'd say you've got what you need, but if you're smaller, you might look at the smaller one... that's what i use, and i'm happy with it...

i'll echo the previous comment about the pack.. i use a golite gust (20oz or so) i'm very happy with...
6'1" 225. I actually would have preferred the Ultralight but need the extra weight capacity of the Deluxe. Thanks though.

Just Jeff
10-26-2005, 15:20
You'll need some sort of bottom insulation for your hammock - a pad, underquilt, etc.

eco
10-26-2005, 16:14
You'll need some sort of bottom insulation for your hammock - a pad, underquilt, etc.
I was going to try to go with a full insulation system from HH. I still have alot to learn about hammock camping. The forum has been very helpful in that regard. Thanks.

chris
10-26-2005, 16:15
Although I have never used the Gust, and have no plans to, my friend Will has used the same Gust on the PCT (03), AT (04), and CDT (05). So, it is certainly durable enough.

There probably isn't a huge weight difference between the 60 and 75. If that is the case, then stay with the 75.

JoeHiker
10-26-2005, 17:10
I have the WM Alpinlite and am very happy with it. It's well worth the investment. And I second Chris on the ID eVENT jacket. I just used it for a two week hike in the rain (8 straight days of it) and that thing is a champ.

Seeker
10-26-2005, 17:45
6'1" 225. I actually would have preferred the Ultralight but need the extra weight capacity of the Deluxe. Thanks though.
yep... i see what you mean... i guess that's why the alpenlite vs the ultralite...

btw, i've got a WM Caribou and love it... great quality. i've never heard a complaint about the performance of anything from WM, so you're in good shape there.

Almost There
10-26-2005, 17:49
If you haven't gotten your pack yet, I'd look at the 60, but being a big guy myself I understand going with a bigger pack. Osprey makes a great pack, and you won't have to worry about the support. Boots or trail runners...totally a personal choice!

eco
10-26-2005, 20:37
Thanks again for the feedback everyone.

I could really use a little help with a stove set up. Again, not necessarily looking to get into that "ultralight" category, I would be willing to trade a few extra ounces for convenience here.

JoeHiker
10-26-2005, 22:52

I could really use a little help with a stove set up. Again, not necessarily looking to get into that "ultralight" category, I would be willing to trade a few extra ounces for convenience here.
I just went the alchohol stove route for my recent hike. It's definitely a good choice but when I think of all the separate pieces and what a pain it was, I think it might have been a lot easier to go with something like the JetBoil system. I think I might try that next time. It just seems a lot more convenient.

chris
10-26-2005, 23:29

I've been using a Snowpeak Gigapower stove for the last year and a half and absolutely love it. For something like the AT, where cannisters are regularly available, I would use it over an alcohol stove. That being said, an alcohol stove is still an excellent choice. Something like a Snowpeak doesn't add that much weight (only a few oz.) to the pack and, since you are not doing an ultralight thing, I would recommend it over the alcohol stove.

Just Jeff
10-27-2005, 01:04
Regarding bottom insulation, the HH system has gotten mixed reviews. OTOH, I haven't heard of anyone who's dissatisfied with with JRB quilts or the Speer SPE with a pad. Both have minor issues, like fit for the underquilts or a bit of condensation with the SPE, but nearly all of the comments on both have been overwhelmingly positive. I've never tried the HH system, but I hear it's good to about 50 F or higher...not quite the winter solution it's advertised as. Tom is apparently working on other systems, like adding extra open-cell pads to the SuperShelter bottom, and quilting insulation directly to the hammock body, though.
Check here for more ideas: http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCampingWarm.html

Stoves - I'm pretty happy with the JetBoil. It's so convenient that I'll carry a bit of extra weight for it over my pepsi-can stove and Walmart GP. I wish the JB had a wider pot, though.

eco
10-27-2005, 07:58
Thanks for the stove suggestions. More info to shft through. Funny how much I enjoy the reseasrch/planning/acquiring phase of all of this. If only it didn't cost any $$.

Regarding bottom insulation, the HH system has gotten mixed reviews. OTOH, I haven't heard of anyone who's dissatisfied with with JRB quilts or the Speer SPE with a pad. Both have minor issues, like fit for the underquilts or a bit of condensation with the SPE, but nearly all of the comments on both have been overwhelmingly positive. I've never tried the HH system, but I hear it's good to about 50 F or higher...not quite the winter solution it's advertised as. Tom is apparently working on other systems, like adding extra open-cell pads to the SuperShelter bottom, and quilting insulation directly to the hammock body, though.
Check here for more ideas: http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCampingWarm.html

Stoves - I'm pretty happy with the JetBoil. It's so convenient that I'll carry a bit of extra weight for it over my pepsi-can stove and Walmart GP. I wish the JB had a wider pot, though.
Just Jeff-With regard to the JRB and Speer, how is the fit with the HH? I am not too familiar with Speer and JRB but do they work well with the assyms? I definately am looking for a system that get comfortably handle down to about 20 degreesF. I'll have to spend some time today on the hammock forum looking at setups and reviews.

Thanks again everybody. This is a great site.:banana

Dainon
10-27-2005, 08:11
I have an Osprey Aether 60 and it has plenty of room. That said, if I knew then what I know now, I'd get a lighter pack. There's nothing wrong with an Aether 60 -- comfortable, well made, durable -- but at 3 1/2 lbs., I think that there are other packs that match those qualities and yet are lighter (and most probably cheaper -- Ospreys are a bit expensive).

Just Jeff
10-27-2005, 10:27
The JRBs are designed specifically for the HH A-syms, and Jack posts here pretty often if you have any questions (or you can email him directly...you'll probably get an email back the same day if he's home). I'm comfortable with the Nest down to mid-to-upper-30s...you can also use the thicker Old Rag Mountain for more warmth, or double up with two quilts on bottom.

With a SPE, the pad goes inside the hammock so there are no "fit" issues other than sleeping with a pad in the hammock. It'll probably take more than one pad to get to 20 F unless you get some sore of DAM...check the Speer site for a chart. Youngblood is the SPE designer, and he posts on WB, too.