PDA

View Full Version : Clothing for February

LonghornAT
01-07-2015, 13:37
It is not supposed to be a terribly cold start in early/mid February. However, I'd like to be safe than sorry when it comes to clothing.

What are some good budget jackets and pants that I should look for? I've already got my base layer compression pants, shorts, a warm base layer long sleeve, and frogg toggs for rain.

Just looking for a jacket and pants. Also, I will most likely be bringing a pair of shorts with me, unless there are good pants that can unzip into shorts.

Thanks!

Venchka
01-07-2015, 14:06
It is not supposed to be a terribly cold start in early/mid February.
Right!
A wind stopping/blocking outer layer is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to being comfortable while moving. The same goes for a good hat or combination of hats.
Fleece and/or wool will save your bacon when the weather turns to poop. Which will happen. Coming from Austin you haven't seen cold yet. Cold and wet kills.
The best source for local weather along the Tennessee-North Carolina border is Ray's Weather. Book mark the web page. Check it frequently.
http://raysweather.com/

Prepare for the worst. Hope for the best. My grand kids in Boone, NC (elevation 3,400 feet) had snow days around Halloween, 2014. Snow days in April are not uncommon.
Good luck!

Wayne
In Houston.

Praha4
01-07-2015, 14:13
Beyond the obvious, make sure you have a set of dry clothes and socks for camp and sleeping. Expect many days to finish the hiking day in wet clothes and socks. Adequate sleep system is mandatory for that time of year. Layer your hiking clothing, you will be shedding layers when hiking and putting stuff back on when you stop to rest. Good cold weather hat and gloves also, and I recommend some kind of waterproof rain mitts for those cold/wet days when your hands go numb while hiking from the cold. Good luck.

Slo-go'en
01-07-2015, 14:20
It is not supposed to be a terribly cold start in early/mid February. However, I'd like to be safe than sorry when it comes to clothing.

Oh are you in for a surprise. It might not be 10 below zero, but its a damp cold along the Appalachians which cuts to the bone. Your also tired, wet from sweat, lacking calories, the wind is blowing and your living in the cold 24/7. It will be below freezing more often then not for at least 6 weeks. There's a very good chance you'll see at least one good snow storm, freezing rain or just plain drizzle at 35 degrees (which is actually the worst).

A down jacket and pile (fleece) pants are a good idea and at least two sets of base layers since one is bound to get wet. Good luck with the frogg toggs, their not very durable. I'd go with a Gortex shell or similar for that time of year. You need a good warm hat and gloves and plenty of wool socks. It's frigg'en winter up there until well into April, well into May if you actually get far enough north.

LonghornAT
01-07-2015, 14:24
Thanks guys. I've got a good pair of gloves and ninjaclave

http://www.backcountryedge.com/terramar-mens-3-ecolator-tr-half-zip.aspx
http://www.backcountryedge.com/outdoor_research-ninjaclava.aspx

went with underarmour compression pants and shorts

Venchka
01-07-2015, 14:28
Oh are you in for a surprise. It might not be 10 below zero, but its a damp cold along the Appalachians which cuts to the bone. Your also tired, wet from sweat, lacking calories, the wind is blowing and your living in the cold 24/7. It will be below freezing more often then not for at least 6 weeks. There's a very good chance you'll see at least one good snow storm, freezing rain or just plain drizzle at 35 degrees (which is actually the worst).

A down jacket and pile (fleece) pants are a good idea and at least two sets of base layers since one is bound to get wet. Good luck with the frogg toggs, their not very durable. I'd go with a Gortex shell or similar for that time of year. You need a good warm hat and gloves and plenty of wool socks. It's frigg'en winter up there until well into April, well into May if you actually get far enough north.

Current conditions on the southern end of the mountains. the worst is still further north:

We're in Hiawassee for the night. Ran out of food after breakfast this morning, and gas too. Low in town tonight is supposed to be 5 degrees, and 11 tomorrow night. We'll be on the trail again come Thursday or Friday.

Had some slow progress from Neels Gap to Hiawassee due to 2.5 days of rain. Made it here in 6 days, and it could have been 4 days without the rain. We made it from Springer to Neels Gap in 3 days.

Believe it. There is a reason why the southern Appalachians support vegetation found in New England and southern Canada.

Wayne

bigcranky
01-07-2015, 14:32
I wrote this a few years ago for another early starter:

link (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/31242-Cold-Weather-Clothes?p=487795#post487795)

Venchka
01-07-2015, 15:16
Data point for planning purposes. Current conditions:
Jackson, WY: 29°.
Boone, NC: 17°. Mountain & valley forecast:

One year ago today, we woke up to below 0 temperatures (mountaintops hit -18°). We won't reach that level of cold today, but it's going to be Mighty Cold! Daytime highs were sunrise temperatures; they'll fall steadily until tonight. Valleys tonight will be near 0° and mountaintops will go down to around -8°. Winds gusting to 45 mph will push windchills down into the -20s (-30s windchills on mountaintops). And there will be a little snow during the daytime--a dusting to 1" for most (highest amounts west) and 1"-3" on mountaintops. After a frigid start, Thursday afternoon will be cold but less cold than this afternoon. Temperatures moderate slightly Friday; however, a reinforcing shot of cold air arrives Friday night.

Wayne

RED-DOG
01-07-2015, 17:20
On all three of my thru's I started mid Feb and it was high teens for the highs and single digits to below zero for the lows, seemed like it didn't warm up until around the VA State line roughly a month later expect very cold temps and snow in the GSMNP, dress WARMLY, the weather forecasters is always about 10 degrees off.

RED-DOG
01-07-2015, 17:24
On all three of my thru's I started mid Feb and it was high teens for the highs and single digits to below zero for the lows, seemed like it didn't warm up until around the VA State line roughly a month later expect very cold temps and snow in the GSMNP, dress WARMLY, the weather forecasters is always about 10 degrees off.
DOWN pants and booties would be a good idea for around camp and for sleeping in, you should be able to find a good pair of Zip-off pants, Mountain Hard wear, North face makes them.

Dogwood
01-07-2015, 17:46
What Venchka said and Slo-go-en said.

All this.
"Oh are you in for a surprise. It might not be 10 below zero, but its a damp cold along the Appalachians which cuts to the bone. Your also tired, wet from sweat, lacking calories, the wind is blowing and your living in the cold 24/7. It will be below freezing more often then not for at least 6 weeks. There's a very good chance you'll see at least one good snow storm, freezing rain or just plain drizzle at 35 degrees (which is actually the worst)."

You need to get real Austin. You received some solid advice from those folks;take heed. Know what you're stepping into with a Feb start. I'm in Dahlonega Ga now stopping in town doing the GA Loop. Fingers are still numb after doing 14 miles today with two pr of gloves, hand warmers, two base layers, down vest, down jacket, thermal bottoms, med wt pants, heavy wool socks, beanie, WP shoes(some slop after two days of consistent rain), ice, couple of flurries today, etc Before heading back out I'm going to get a balaclava. COLD today with the wind. With the wind chill I'll easily be near 0* tonight. Tomorrows going to be cold too especially with the wind thrown in. Jan weather avgs are similar to Feb for the southern Appalachians.

Dieseling along though. Certainly not setting any speed records, but at least I'm getting in some winter backpacking before heading back to work. I'll lose some wt on this hike hopefully no fingers or toes though.

Good luck.

Cadenza
01-10-2015, 22:46
What Venchka said and Slo-go-en said.

All this.
"Oh are you in for a surprise. It might not be 10 below zero, but its a damp cold along the Appalachians which cuts to the bone. Your also tired, wet from sweat, lacking calories, the wind is blowing and your living in the cold 24/7. It will be below freezing more often then not for at least 6 weeks. There's a very good chance you'll see at least one good snow storm, freezing rain or just plain drizzle at 35 degrees (which is actually the worst)."

You need to get real Austin. You received some solid advice from those folks;take heed. Know what you're stepping into with a Feb start. I'm in Dahlonega Ga now stopping in town doing the GA Loop. Fingers are still numb after doing 14 miles today with two pr of gloves, hand warmers, two base layers, down vest, down jacket, thermal bottoms, med wt pants, heavy wool socks, beanie, WP shoes(some slop after two days of consistent rain), ice, couple of flurries today, etc Before heading back out I'm going to get a balaclava. COLD today with the wind. With the wind chill I'll easily be near 0* tonight. Tomorrows going to be cold too especially with the wind thrown in. Jan weather avgs are similar to Feb for the southern Appalachians.

Dieseling along though. Certainly not setting any speed records, but at least I'm getting in some winter backpacking before heading back to work. I'll lose some wt on this hike hopefully no fingers or toes though.

Good luck.

AGREED!
They say, "What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger."
Maybe. But you can also get ......killed.

Hypothermia and frostbite are not to be taken lightly.
Going winter camping with springtime gear is asking for it.